Youth training (7yr old)

largeli

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i posted this in grappling forum with no reply. Thought maybe some of you have kids in wrestling or could comment about strength/conditioning for youngsters...

What are some good, easy to learn, fundamental wrestling drills for a 7 year old? My 7 year old has been in wrestling once a week through the local club and he wants to train, and practice on the off days. I never wrestled as a youngster, but I work the basic takedowns with him, back bridge spin out to front bridge drills, sprawls, etc. But he has those down pretty well now. Anyone know of a website or able to explain any other drills that would be beneficial to him at this point?

Also are sprints and other cardio/body wieght strength training good or detrimental to a kid this age?

set him loose in a big playground
make sure he runs, jumps, climbs, swings, slams other children, etc
lots of skill drills, lots of fun

Wrestling with other kids, climbing... make him strong as bull.

I also remember bicycling to be the most badass fun, yet, easy cardio when I was younger. It was not even an effort then, wtf?

Strength training is never detrimental if you use proper form. The key with kids that age is that they enjoy what they're doing.

I agree on the playground suggestion. Jungle gyms, monkey bars, rings, etc are all great.

The training needs to be fun for him. there is nothing wrong with kids doing strength and conditioning training. In fact your son would be less likely to injure himself if he was doing extra strength and conditioning training.

With my kids I do conditioning like short sprints, or 500m on the rower. They also do weights such as, squats, deadlifts, medball pick up and press, clean and press, push ups.

Provided they are having fun and that form is good kids can safely do weights.

But it is a slow process, and if my kids tell me they don't want to train I won't make them, but I try to encourage them to train.

I'm glad Brad posted. I've read several of his posts about his children training in this and another (now defunct) board. I want to encourage Sara and future kids in the same way.

Speaking from my own personal experience, I can pretty much echo what's been said. My parents always encouraged us to play outside. My brother and I wrestled with each other a lot growing up and played sports. We also did pullups and some other limited BW stuff. Although we weren't encouraged to lift (I didn't start lifting like a man until I was 23), we were stronger than most of the kids that we went to school with. I feel that the time we spent being kids contributed to that.

If I think back on my childhood I remember resenting that my parents didn't buy us the original nintendo system when we wanted it. It's the best thing they ever did for us. I learned to love reading (even if my tastes are not approved by Bacon) and built a decent strength base.

don't forget about flexibility

better to start young because the older you get the more of a bitch it is to get flexible.

SteveX, I agree about the flexability!

That is part of the reason I put my kids into gymnastics as well! I think the base of gymnastics and the strength and conditioning training my kids are doing should set them up well for whatever sport they choose to pursue.

I wish I had done gymnastics when I was a kid. Especially after watching some of those clips online of some of their crazy feats of strength

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ef-2AqA5LOQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ef-2AqA5LOQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I think seven is too young to start conditioning/ strength training. Talk to your doctor, cause I've heard sometimes strength training before puberty can have negative effects. Have you looked to see if there are any other wrestling camps/clubs at other highschools in the area. Lots of high school programs have club programs for younger wrestlers. Also, maybe instead of strength training maybe another sport/activity? I played roller hockey for years as a kid, theres soccer leagues, all kinds of stuff he can do

I think seven is too young to start conditioning/ strength training. Talk to your doctor, cause I've heard sometimes strength training before puberty can have negative effects. Have you looked to see if there are any other wrestling camps/clubs at other highschools in the area. Lots of high school programs have club programs for younger wrestlers. Also, maybe instead of strength training maybe another sport/activity? I played roller hockey for years as a kid, theres soccer leagues, all kinds of stuff he can do

strength training for children is as harmful as full atg squats

SteveX, I agree about the flexability!

That is part of the reason I put my kids into gymnastics as well! I think the base of gymnastics and the strength and conditioning training my kids are doing should set them up well for whatever sport they choose to pursue.

Gymnastics is incredibly brutal. It's perhaps the most brutal training i've ever seen. Much tougher than wrestling.

If your want your child's growth to be stunted... gymnastics all the way... sure he'll be jacked and 5'3" when he's 21.

You need to teach him to do some proper squats

http://strengthmill.com/viewvideo/1666/Teaching_Squat_Technique/

Then just have him train lots of bodyweight training, stretching and fun athletic activities.

I was waiting for someone to say that strength training for kids is bad!

This is at least the third thime I have posted about this, nothing new for the older guys around here but anyway here it is!

Previously posted on Supertraining by Dr Siff (You also might find Dr
Siff's book the Facts and Fallacies of Fitness to be useful):

Children constantly try to jump further and higher, beat their
opponents in hand to hand play, hit harder or further, swim or cycle
faster and generally try to do a "1RM" in many different ways. So,
why should one not apply the same principle of controlled progressive
overload to eventually enable a youngster to manage periodic 1RMs?
After all, even serious lifters generally do not execute a
competitive maximum 1RM very often, so why should children not follow
the same rule once they have undergone an adequate general
conditioning period to suit their individual characteristics and
capabilities?

Has anyone come across any research which shows that doing a 1RM
every three to four weeks in a carefully periodised programme causes
irreparable harm to the growth centres of juvenile bones? If you read
some of Dr Yessis' translations in the Soviet Sports Review, you will
come across articles like "School of Growth" which indicate that
heavy loading on growing bones tends to stimulate growth rather than
inhibit it. Now THAT sort of heresy is something that Western coaches
and teachers fail to mention! I wish that I had started training with
weights in my childhood - I have no doubt that I would have been very
much stronger throughout my adult life!

The science and practice of weightlifting for youngsters has been
lucidly described by LS Dvorkin in his textbook "The Young
Weightlifter" and inter alia, based upon the records of hundreds of
soviet youngsters, he stated that Weightlifting did not cause any
significant increase in musculosketelal injury, although he did quote
findings which showed the definite physical benefits of weightlifting
training.

As yet, I am unaware of similarly extensive studies done in the West
on large cohorts of juvenile weightlifters, though anaecdotally
several of us know many adult lifters in the USA and Europe who began
as children and did not lead lives of constant injury, certainly to a
far lesser extent than their colleagues who took part in soccer,
rugby, football, hockey and running. Sadly, some were even killed or
became totally disabled in the contact sports. Studies have shown
that the incidence of serious injury and paraplegia is far higher
among juvenile American footballers than those playing in the NFL. It
seems to me that some of the overreaction aimed against youths taking
up weightlifting should more appropriately be directed at other far
more hazardous sports.

It has never been shown scientifically or clinically that the
periodic imposition of large forces by weight training on the growing
body causes damage to the epiphysial plates.

It is extremely misleading to focus on the alleged risks of weight
training on children when biomechanical research shows that simple
daily activities such as running, jumping, striking or catching can
impose far greater forces on the musculoskeletal system than very
heavy weight training.

Suppose that one child runs a few hundred meters a day in some
sporting or recreational activities. This can easily involve several
thousand foot strikes in which the reaction force imposed on the body
can easily exceed 4 times bodyweight with every stride. Now let
another child do a typical average weight training session with 3-5
sets of squats (say, with 10 reps, 8, 6 and 4 reps), with bodyweight
or more for the last set. That bodyweight is divided between the two
legs, so that, even taking acceleration into account, the loading per
leg is bodyweight or a little more, while the spine is subjected to
the full load on the bar. In other words, the legs and spine in
controlled squatting are exposed to significantly less force than in
running and jumping. Normally, exercises such as squatting will be
done no more than twice a week for a total of about 60 repetitions,
while the running child will run every day and subject the body to
those many thousands of impulsive foot strikes.

Properly constructed well supervised strength and conditioning training for children is good for them! It will lessen their chance of injury and does not have any documented negative side effects.

Poor form, excessive resistance, prolonged conditioning sessions, they would be bad for kids...they would be bad for anyone.

I think seven is too young to start conditioning/ strength training.
Technomad said:
cause I've heard sometimes strength training before puberty can have negative effects.

Oh shit, you've heard something...never mind anyone here who has kids that actually strength train, or those growing up who did farm labor.

Never mind all that - Fuck that. What's important here is that some random asshole who may or may not know the difference between a Clean, or Snatch, pass off his advice he probably heard from some other random asshole, tell you what's good or bad for kids.

Back