Your reaction if Mcgregor gets his 3rd title shot in 3 fights at LW

This is clearly all building towards a khabib-Conor 2021 rematch

I know. Conor winning will be problematic in many ways for sure. Not what I'm hoping for. If Dustin wins, I think he'll fight whatever LW they put up next, no problem. Same with the other guys, I think.
Im not sure how big of a problem it is to be honest. They'll just strip him and start over. It's better if he fights even if the person loses, depending on how they lose, they might get a rub.

More people know Alex gustafasson for losing to Jon Jones in a close fight than they know gustafasson for winning a fight. He created star power off a loss. I don't think anyone can dispute that.

If Dustin made it a match of the year contender, he'd could add more notoriety to his name so when ufc strips Conor, they can book Dustin as the a-side and should Dustin win, he could call out Conor for a rematch, a trilogy. So again i don't really think its as bad as some might think. Maybe I'm glass halfful but I believe with no khabib, no Conor and no competitive Tony, there's no interesting lw division. It'll be competitive from fighting standpoint like how men's bantamweight is . It'll be fun for hardcore fans bit for general fans, there will be no interest in the lw division.

Not until they get or make another star. Conor left featherweight. Featherweight use to be THE division to watch. Look at it now. Still good, but not a draw.

It's good for $ and added exposure but not integrity.. It both adds and takes away something.
It's prize fighting there was hardly any integrity to begin with. Brock lesnar got a title shot coming off a loss in his debit and a win in his second match third match he won the title. Someone 1-1 got a hw title shot

In comparison to Conor vs Khabib of course not..
I'm just pointing out not every title fight has to have Michael Chandler in like you seem to be suggesting, theres a whole load of Welterweights and Featherweights who might be up for it now Khabibs out the way.. Could see Masvidal move back down, Ortega move up, Max move up again anything could happen to the division, LHW had a small surge of MW's move up once that division seemed more open than MW.
Arman Tsaryuken probably go and fuck everyone up.
I agree but I'm talking about in general not what hardcore fight fans want to see. We're more than casual fans.

If volk moved up for the title of like to see it but at the same time I couldn't give a fuck. I'm not itching to see that fight.

All these fights won't generate ppvs I don't think. They'll be ancillary players to good cards, decent cards.

Conor is a big star, but he made khabib a superstar. If I'm the ufc I rather have a prospect or current fighter beat an established guy than start over from scratch. I like my chances with conor giving the rub than I like starting over. Especially when the top half of the division is already 30+ of age

Point to a time in combat sports history when they've ever prioritized integrity.

Well in terms of match making like most of the time I think.

Khabib vs Gaethje was the right fight to make
Ortega vs KZ right fight to make
Moraes vs Sandhagan right fight to make
Woodley Covington, a bit too late but still not a bad match
Mostly coherent fights, Conor vs Chandler for the LW belt would be nonsense in regards to what the norm is.

They could push CM punk more for $ or, or try and make more gimmick matches, gimmick belts etc... Offer Shaq a shit ton to fight Hulk Hogan.. I think they tend to responsibly match make, though there are obviously shit exceptions.(To me that shows a degree of integrity)

Last edited:
This is clearly all building towards a khabib-Conor 2021 rematch
That's what the UFC would hope for, for sure. If Conor wins (big if, IMO), he'll start back in with the insults to Khabib in a big way immediately.

It's prize fighting there was hardly any integrity to begin with. Brock lesnar got a title shot coming off a loss in his debit and a win in his second match third match he won the title. Someone 1-1 got a hw title shot

there are exceptions, I don't agree with them either... But I still think it's a discredit to MMA. The player(Conor, Brock etc) shouldn't be bigger than the team(UFC).

I agree but I'm talking about in general not what hardcore fight fans want to see. We're more than casual fans.

If volk moved up for the title of like to see it but at the same time I couldn't give a fuck. I'm not itching to see that fight.

All these fights won't generate ppvs I don't think. They'll be ancillary players to good cards, decent cards.

Conor is a big star, but he made khabib a superstar. If I'm the ufc I rather have a prospect or current fighter beat an established guy than start over from scratch. I like my chances with conor giving the rub than I like starting over. Especially when the top half of the division is already 30+ of age

There are about 3 fights in the entire UFC casuals would give a shit about ... Izzy vs Jones, Jones vs Ngannou or Masvidal vs Nate again.

I don't think anyone beating Conor now makes them a star.

There are about 3 fights in the entire UFC casuals would give a shit about ... Izzy vs Jones, Jones vs Ngannou or Masvidal vs Nate again.

I'm not sure Masvidal vs Nate has much shine to it anymore, even with casuals.

quick-change-the-channel

there are exceptions, I don't agree with them either... But I still think it's a discredit to MMA. The player(Conor, Brock etc) shouldn't be bigger than the team(UFC).

Nate diaz became a star when he beat Conor. He was always known as Nick's little brother before he beat Conor. They did the rematch. He's gotten so much star power, he made masvidal a star. Masvidal has a great run but to top it off with a 900k but ppv is the reason her became a needle mover. Stealing Ben's hype, eliminating till and calling it off with Nate.

Khabib became a superstar beating Conor. He was big in Russia but he became an international superstar.

Conor is an automatic 1m buys ppv. More eyes on the person. Of course it makes them a star if they best him

I'm not sure Masvidal vs Nate has much shine to it anymore, even with casuals.
I agree, I just get the impression Casuals only know Jones and Ngannou or Conor, Khabib, Nate, Masvidal and maybe Izzy.
Any fight not holding a mix of these guys isn't moving much numbers wise.

Nate diaz became a star when he beat Conor. He was always known as Nick's little brother before he beat Conor. They did the rematch. He's gotten so much star power, he made masvidal a star. Masvidal has a great run but to top it off with a 900k but ppv is the reason her became a needle mover. Stealing Ben's hype, eliminating till and calling it off with Nate.

Khabib became a superstar beating Conor. He was big in Russia but he became an international superstar.

Conor is an automatic 1m buys ppv. More eyes on the person. Of course it makes them a star if they best him
Agree but not on that he made Masvidal a star, he was well on track to do that anyway after that flying knee. Made him some serious money yes.

Opinions on Conor have changed significantly since the Nate fight, or the Khabib fight, his mystic mac unbeatable aura has faded completely.... I bet most casuals don't even know who his last fight was against...
I don't think any LW beating Conor now has anywhere near as much impact as any of his pre-Khabib fights.

You think if Dan Hooker bullied him for 5 rounds, or Gaethje KO'd him in round 1 they'd get Diaz and Khabib status? I really can't see it. Khabib and Nate have a lot more going for them than just having fought Conor.

Agree but not on that he made Masvidal a star, he was well on track to do that anyway after that flying knee. Made him some serious money yes.

Opinions on Conor have changed significantly since the Nate fight, or the Khabib fight, his mystic mac unbeatable aura has faded completely.... I bet most casuals don't even know who his last fight was against...
I don't think any LW beating Conor now has anywhere near as much impact as any of his pre-Khabib fights.

You think if Dan Hooker bullied him for 5 rounds, or Gaethje KO'd him in round 1 they'd get Diaz and Khabib status? I really can't see it. Khabib and Nate have a lot more going for them than just having fought Conor.
Beating Conor doesn't necessarily make you a star but I like those chances. You have to bring personality or an Aura to make some of that stick. I think hooker is not a star if he beats McGregor. Rather if mcgregor loses to hooker, it'll be pretty embarrassing.

However if mcgregor lost to someone with charisma, he's a star. If mcgregor wins and became champion, and miraculously defends and loses, he can make someone a star. If he has a contested title bout and that person loses against him they still get the rub. Just my opinion. I know I'm optimistic but without Conor there's no intrigue in the lw division as it stands. Maybe in a year or in a couple of years, sure but as it stands right now no Conor, no khabib no intrigue

Beating Conor doesn't necessarily make you a star but I like those chances. You have to bring personality or an Aura to make some of that stick. I think hooker is not a star if he beats McGregor. Rather if mcgregor loses to hooker, it'll be pretty embarrassing.

However if mcgregor lost to someone with charisma, he's a star. If mcgregor wins and became champion, and miraculously defends and loses, he can make someone a star. If he has a contested title bout and that person loses against him they still get the rub. Just my opinion. I know I'm optimistic but without Conor there's no intrigue in the lw division as it stands. Maybe in a year or in a couple of years, sure but as it stands right now no Conor, no khabib no intrigue

Nah the build ups just won't be the same anymore, his time of giving fighters shit is over. Imagine Conor fighting Gaethje and getting all cheeky chappy and giving him shit like he used to, now it would be super cringe, like theres too much shit to say back to him it just wouldn't work.. The dynamic is different now for him, he's a super rich business man who doesn't need to fight these bums who earn pennies compared to him but graft, most likely his opponent will respect and be in awe of him like Cowboy was, or he starts trash talking and loses because theres too much shit to say back, plus he likely learned his lesson with that approach against Khabib, no doubt he'd get Dana to make sure nothing out of order is said or some shit.

He'll never have that cockiness ever again, and that's really all the casuals give a shit about with him, banter, and of course BIG fights, but there aren't any BIG fights now, GSP is about the best we could wish for... Anyone else is meh.

Theres no Conor or Khabib in any of the other divisions and they do just fine mostly.

Beating Conor in 2020 is not beating Conor in 2016.. He'll probably fight Manny Pacman, which is bigger than any UFC fight he could have, an no one gives a shit.

Also surely Conor winning anything at LW now is just in Khabibs shadow, like anyone else really, but would look so desperate from him now.

Last edited:
If he wins it will kill lw.
Another stalled division cos the champ wont defend

1st: was the FW champ moving up, who'd been promised a shot at the previous champ that he never got, was coming off of a win over #4 which gave him the highest ranked win at LW barring Eddie's own wins. Khabib and Tony were coming off wins over unranked Horcher and Lando lol. Title shot is fine.

2nd: He was the former champ who never lost his belt, meanwhile Khabib won his belt by beating #11. Title shot is fine.

3rd: Conor vs Dustin was already basically announced. Both are the only ones coming off wins. Tony is coming off of a loss to Gaethje, Gaethje is coming off a loss to Khabib, and Hooker is coming off of a loss to Dustin. That's the top 5. Title shot is fine.

It won't happen because Conor knows he shouldn't win it again, because Khabib will probably come back and beat him again if that happens.

At this point we all know if Conor gets the belt his going to milk that shit again and use it to get a boxing fight with Manny Pacquiao.
And Dana and UFC are gonna say yes because they want the money.

That's what the UFC would hope for, for sure. If Conor wins (big if, IMO), he'll start back in with the insults to Khabib in a big way immediately.
Man idk he’s lucky to be out of jail it seems like.

khabib doesn’t really owe him a rematch but let’s say conor wins 3 fights in 2020-2021.
He starts talking some trash about him being the people’s GOAT and then away we go

Back