• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your Personal Political Heroes (and their quotes)

But it's not really an economics book at all. Like I said, Austrianism is to economics what astrology is to astronomy.

I understand that you are against Austrian Economics, but if you are honest you have to admit Austrian Economics is also Economics.

"The opportunity cost doctrine was first explicitly formulated by the Austrian economist Friedrich von Wieser in the late 19th century. Opportunity cost is the cost of any activity measured in terms of the value of the next best alternative foregone (that is not chosen). It is the sacrifice related to the second best choice available to someone, or group, who has picked among several mutually exclusive choices.

Opportunity cost is a key concept in mainstream economics, and has been described as expressing "the basic relationship between scarcity and choice".The notion of opportunity cost plays a crucial part in ensuring that resources are used efficiently."

Lol, there's a reason why Business and Economics are taught in different buildings at most Universities.

In your book thread, I mentioned I'd soon be starting "Radicals for Capitalism: A Freewheeling History of the Modern American Libertarian Movement" (BTW, written from an extremely pro-right-wing-libertarian perspective). I'm a couple hundred pages in, and Hazlitt is a major figure. Interesting cat, for sure, but absolutely not an economist.

I understand that you are against Austrian Economics, but if you are honest you have to admit Austrian Economics is also Economics.

"The opportunity cost doctrine was first explicitly formulated by the Austrian economist Friedrich von Wieser in the late 19th century. Opportunity cost is the cost of any activity measured in terms of the value of the next best alternative foregone (that is not chosen). It is the sacrifice related to the second best choice available to someone, or group, who has picked among several mutually exclusive choices.

Opportunity cost is a key concept in mainstream economics, and has been described as expressing "the basic relationship between scarcity and choice".The notion of opportunity cost plays a crucial part in ensuring that resources are used efficiently."

If you go back far enough, Austrian types certainly made some legitimate contributions to economics. The same is true for astrologists and astronomy.

In your book thread, I mentioned I'd soon be starting "Radicals for Capitalism: A Freewheeling History of the Modern American Libertarian Movement" (BTW, written from an extremely pro-right-wing-libertarian perspective). I'm a couple hundred pages in, and Hazlitt is a major figure. Interesting cat, for sure, but absolutely not an economist.
Thanks, I have a huge backlog at the moment, so I might just have to look for a summary.
FWIW, I've read Economics in One Lesson years ago. I found it pretty basic. IIRC, Hazlit used a lot of strawmen arguments to make his points and it has a pretty naked agenda. That's probably why its so popular.

hi Faustian,

lots of folks like to cite the PRIDE era POTUS', and i get it. Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson - they shined back in the day, didn't they?

still, how would they adapt to the modern day octagon?

what, precisely, does Jefferson do when confronted with Vietnam's struggle for independence against the French imperialists in the 1940's? he'd have sided with Ho Chi Minh. lol.

how would everyone's hero, George Washington, have reacted to the Bundy ranch standoff over paying for grazing rights? "Whisky Rebellion" Washington would have had the national guard go in there and shoot that asshole full of holes if he didn't pay up.

and Lincoln? how would he have been on immigration? this is the same Abe who rejected the nativism of the Whigs. with "Honest Abe" as POTUS, you might very well have many more brown people getting let into the US. Ann Coulter would hate, absolutely despise, Lincoln.

*muses*

Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln would have probably been hated by roughly half the country (or more) had they served as POTUS in the in last few decades. its possible that none of them would have even made it into a second term - the voters woulda kicked them out.

i wonder how Donald would have done as POTUS in the 1860s?

would he have freed the slaves? (if the answer is "yes", because, duh, any POTUS would have done it - then why does Lincoln get such credit? if the answer is "no", then doesn't that make Donald Trump a hateful SOB?)

- IGIT

Not gonna lie I feel kinda like I'm being cross-examined here IGIT

I'm a little short on time but I will address this:

"i wonder how Donald would have done as POTUS in the 1860s?

would he have freed the slaves? (if the answer is "yes", because, duh, any POTUS would have done it - then why does Lincoln get such credit? if the answer is "no", then doesn't that make Donald Trump a hateful SOB?)"
Nearly everyone from modern history would've believed freeing the slaves to be the right thing to do. Not everyone would've known how or been able to do it. That's why Lincoln was so special. He essentially told the SCOTUS and states that the US Const was in fact not the supreme law of the land, and instead he cited a higher authority; this authority being substantive rule of law derived from natural law upon which all sovereignty lies. In other words, slavery was illegal because it violated the Declaration of Independence. To violate the US Const is one thing, that's more of an in-house issue. To so flagrantly violate the DOI is to contradict the fundamental legal/philosophical/moral argument for US independence in the first place. It calls into question the legitimacy of all of our liberty

Lincoln's opening reply at the first Lincoln-Douglas debate:

This "declared" indifference, but as I must think, covert real zeal for the spread of slavery, I can not but hate. I hate it because of the monstrous injustice of slavery itself. I hate it because it deprives our republican example of its just influence in the world -- enables the enemies of free institutions, with plausibility, to taunt us as hypocrites -- causes the real friends of freedom to doubt our sincerity, and especially because it forces so many good men amongst ourselves into an open war with the very fundamental principles of civil liberty -- criticizing the Declaration of Independence, and insisting that there is no right principle of action but self interest.

. . .

Now, on another matter, having spoken of this Dred Scott decision, Mr. Clay -- my beau ideal of a great man, the man for whom I fought all my humble life -- Mr. Clay once said of a class of men who, he supposed, would express all tendency to ultimate emancipation that they must, if they would do this, go back to the hour of our own liberty and independence, and muzzle the cannon that thunders its annual joyous return; that they must blow out the moral lights around us; that they must pervert the human soul, and eradicate the human soul and love of liberty, and then, and not till then, they could perpetuate slavery in this country. To my thinking, Judge Douglas is now, by his example and his vast influence, doing that very thing in this community. When he is saying that the negro has no share of the Declaration of Independence, he is going back to the year of our revolution, and, to the extent of his ability, he is muzzling the cannon that thunders its annual joyous return. When he is saying, as he often does, that if any people want slavery they have a right to have it, he is blowing out the moral lights around us. When he says that he doesn't care whether slavery is voted up or down, then, to my thinking, he is, so far as he is able to do so, perverting the human soul and eradicating the light of reason and the love of liberty on the American continent.

Any POTUS may have wanted to abolish slavery, but I question how many there are who'd actually be capable of doing so. Not many have had Lincoln's presence and aura, and this would've been vital for anyone attempting to see the nation through this very worst time in its history. As Lincoln himself commented:

First, let us say that public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it, nothing can succeed. He who moulds public sentiment is greater than he who makes statutes.
Not only must Lincoln be one of the most intelligent and capable presidents in US history, but he's pretty much unparalleled when it comes to his being viewed as above it all (the sliminess of politics). He's known for his honesty and character and fortitude. I mean, it says something when even Southern rednecks seem to respect the guy

I just don't see too many politicians in world history who would've been as well suited for that specific task as Lincoln was

Last edited:
Thanks, I have a huge backlog at the moment, so I might just have to look for a summary.
FWIW, I've read Economics in One Lesson years ago. I found it pretty basic. IIRC, Hazlit used a lot of strawmen arguments to make his points and it has a pretty naked agenda. That's probably why its so popular.

I'm not sure I'd recommend it, but it's pretty fascinating. It's super long and kind of rambling. But it has good explanations of the thinking and a lot of really interesting personal stuff on the movement, which was filled with eccentric and interesting characters (kooks). Leaves a lot of open questions, though. For example, there's no explanation of *why* Hayek goes from a pretty major figure to a fringe one or why Mises is so lightly regarded by economists later in his career. Also has some of the general problems with right-wing libertarian thinking--presenting it as freedom-loving libertarians against statists and not appreciating that in many cases the issue is *how* to maximize freedom and that libertarianism goes in the opposite direction; plus shallow thinking on the nature of property. Also the writer doesn't seem to appreciate the incongruity between the presentation of early libertarians as being a kind of persecuted minority of people who think they're alone in the world and that same group wielding power that is wildly disproportionate to its number, and he doesn't reflect on what that indicates. I'm not even halfway through, though.

in 1953 President Eisenhower had told Chief Justice Earl Warren he could understand why White southerners wanted to make sure “their sweet little girls [are not] required to sit in school alongside some big black buck.”

lol.

Damn....

My opinion is that every person in his own house decides for himself the rules
- Gamal Abdel Nasser on Islam

the purpose of the religion founded by Muhammad, over all nations , was to drag to an including Arab national politics.
-mustafa Kemal Ataturk

-sitting at the table doesn't make you diner. You must be eating some of what's on the plate. Being here in America doesn't make you an American. Being born here doesn't make you an American.
Malcolm X

-mans highest joy is in victory: to conquer ones enemies to pursue them to deprive them of their possessions to make their beloved weep, to ride in their horses and to embrace their wives and daughters
Genghis Khan

"When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal."

- Richard Nixon

These words when put into the context of his presidency are chilling. And I'm not referring to Watergate

I don't even know if this is a real quote but you reminded me of...

“The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer."
-Kissinger

The difference between the Nazis and Soviets was the difference between ISIS and the Mexican Cartels. One slaughters innocents for a perverted belief system. The other does it for money and power. But it makes no difference at all to their victims.

Absolutely true, and a comparison that exemplifies the dynamic. I am always amazed at how people will weep and rail about conflicts across the world in which relatively few people are killed, and yet when you mention the ruinous Mexican bloodbath that continues on our borders they blink, and are perplexed about why that might be relevant, since it has nothing to do with their personal moral vision of the world.

This is because the motives of the players are too remote from the moral expressions that they consider relevant to their personal life ... and so nobody really cares. Whereas ZOMG Russians, Muslims, and Jews, that’s a matter of grave personal concern.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

John F. Kennedy

America is just the country that shows how all the written guarantees in the world for freedom are no protection against tyranny and oppression of the worst kind. There the politician has come to be looked upon as the very scum of society

Peter Kropotkin

"...they must live within a lie. They need not accept the lie. It is enough for them to have accepted their life with it and in it. For by this very fact, individuals confirm the system, fulfill the system, make the system, are the system."

-Havel

“What is the cause of historical events? Power. What is power? Power is the sum total of wills transferred to one person. On what condition are the willso fo the masses transferred to one person? On condition that the person express the will of the whole people. That is, power is power. That is, power is a word the meaning of which we do not understand. ”

Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

There are two sides to the life of every man, his individual life, which is the more free the more abstract its interests, and his elemental hive life in which he inevitably obeys laws laid down for him.

Man lives consciously for himself, but is an unconscious instrument in the attainment of the historic, universal, aims of humanity. A deed done is irrevocable, and its result coinciding in time with the actions of millions of other men assumes an historic significance. The higher a man stands on the social ladder, the more people he is connected with and the more power he has over others, the more evident is the predestination and inevitability of his every action.

"The king's heart is in the hands of the Lord."

A king is history's slave.

History, that is, the unconscious, general, hive life of mankind, uses every moment of the life of kings as a tool for its own purposes.

-Tolstoy, War and Peace

hiya faustian,

Not gonna lie I feel kinda like I'm being cross-examined here IGIT

imma not, my friend. i just noticed that often folks will cite PRIDE era Presidents as the best and i thought i'd engage you in a bit of good natured banter.

Nearly everyone from modern history would've believed freeing the slaves to be the right thing to do.

i am not sure at all that President Eisenhower would have ended slavery.

i can think of other fellows who would probably have continued slavery. Woodrow Wilson didn't think too much of black people - who knows what he would of done?

i am definitely not certain that a President Trump would have chosen to end slavery in the 1840s, not by a long shot.

Not everyone would've known how or been able to do it. That's why Lincoln was so special.

i don't want to be one to diss the mighty Abe Lincoln, but lets be realistic here my friend; Jefferson, Adams (both of them), Monroe, Jackson, Polk, etc, etc....these guys were all lawyers, and experienced legislators. they'd have know how to do it, for sure.

they just didn't want to, lol.

If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them.

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery.
- Abraham Lincolin

Lincoln didn't much want to either. he wanted to save the country - and he pulled it off. for that, he is one our greatest Presidents.

that being said, i still believe that Mr. Lincoln would be profoundly challenged were he POTUS today, and he might not shine quite as brightly.

i cannot imagine a President Lincoln tip-toeing into the current mania on the gun control debate and not infuriating half the country - i don't care how adroit a politician he was.

- IGIT

hiya faustian,

imma not, my friend. i just noticed that often folks will cite PRIDE era Presidents as the best and i thought i'd engage you in a bit of good natured banter.

i am not sure at all that President Eisenhower would have ended slavery.

i can think of other fellows who would probably have continued slavery. Woodrow Wilson didn't think too much of black people - who knows what he would of done?

i am definitely not certain that a President Trump would have chosen to end slavery in the 1840s, not by a long shot.

i don't want to be one to diss the mighty Abe Lincoln, but lets be realistic here my friend; Jefferson, Adams (both of them), Monroe, Jackson, Polk, etc, etc....these guys were all lawyers, and experienced legislators. they'd have know how to do it, for sure.

they just didn't want to, lol.

If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them.

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery.
- Abraham Lincolin

Lincoln didn't much want to either. he wanted to save the country - and he pulled it off. for that, he is one our greatest Presidents.

that being said, i still believe that Mr. Lincoln would be profoundly challenged were he POTUS today, and he might not shine quite as brightly.

i cannot imagine a President Lincoln tip-toeing into the current mania on the gun control debate and not infuriating half the country - i don't care how adroit a politician he was.

- IGIT

I think you're downplaying Lincoln's intentions a bit here.

While he did not set out to abolish slavery (because he didn't think he had the legal right under the Constitution) we was set on stopping it's expansion into new territories which would eventually lead to it's extinction.

When the South seceded he believed that gave him the right to free slaves in the states that were revolting (which he did) but not in the slave states that were still part of the Union. Then he set out on amending the constitution for the remaining states.

I think you're downplaying Lincoln's intentions a bit here.

While he did not set out to abolish slavery (because he didn't think he had the legal right under the Constitution) we was set on stopping it's expansion into new territories which would eventually lead to it's extinction.

When the South seceded he believed that gave him the right to free slaves in the states that were revolting (which he did) but not in the slave states that were still part of the Union. Then he set out on amending the constitution for the remaining states.

hiya PolishHeadlock,

oh, i get all of that.

i was just mentioning that, as solid as Abe was, his primary goal was not to free the black man from bondage.

it was to crush the Southern rebellion.

i give Lincoln credit for having the stones to free the slaves whilst pursuing a greater objective. i mean, lol, Andrew Jackson might have beaten the South also, but he might have found a way to do so without freeing the slaves.

my initial point still stands - i do not believe that Washington, Jefferson, or Lincoln had any special acumen or reserve of political prowess that would have allowed them to shine in this age that we're in.

i believe they'd either be infuriating liberals or conservatives, and they'd be hated by tens of millions of Americans.

- IGIT

Last edited:
Back