Your opinions of the Gracie family - love or hate?

i just saw royler x saku
right now, it has been a while since I saw it.

Saku just took the whole thing, he forcefully took it.
and I guess in a fight, which this was match crossed into
fight and not just sport, it comes down to perspective and attitude.

Saku was pretty disresepctful at times but he was clealry upset
with the gracie's reigning all over the world with Brazilian fighters
dominating and Japan pro-Wrestlers considered crap.

Without the Gracies we probably not have been exposed to BJJ. For this I thank them.

Wolverine
///

i love'em. cant even imagine mma withought bjj. i also have met Renzo & he's a real cool guy.

Renzo seems like a man's man,
really nice guy who would back you up in a street fight,
but he also seems very vicious out of no where for some reason.

he seems like the type of guy who had an anger problem, and
learned to control it, but it still slips once in a while! LOL

Soid said:
Holy shit I'd love to go to Relson's. Dude sounds really cool. You are so lucky to be training there.Almost as lucky as I am to have my instructors haha :wink:

We are both lucky. Our instructors are totally awesome. If you see Ze' tell him the big guy from Relson's says hi and congrats. We hanged at Relson's house for the NAGA after party. Ze' was my drinking buddy and made me feel like I won the gold medal at the Olympics instead of white belt novice championship NAGAs.

i support all the gracies, if it werent for them i wouldnt be in the sport

Respect em collectively ... hate em individually.

Well, not all of em. I like all the women.

No, I respect "The Gracies" but there are a few individuals who are just pieces of shit ... like most families.

I'm not a Ryan fan,

love Royce,

I want to put a pic up of Royce and helio up on the wall of my MMA gym

I dont think Its fair to classify them all as a whole..i wouldent want ot be judged by every member of my family. That said the ones i have meet have been great people from what i could tell.

i hate the fact that i like them so much

I love the sport...Carlos Jr. and Renzo are awesome people. I respect Rickson for his ability in BJJ (not really his MMA) but he says alot of things that bother me alot and I really dont care for his son kyron. Oh well

TJS said:
I dont think Its fair to classify them all as a whole..i wouldent want ot be judged by every member of my family. That said the ones i have meet have been great people from what i could tell.
True, I can't only say that the ones I do know which were named already, are awesome people. But then again, they are as awesome as the people I train with.

I love them because of their bjj influence and yadda yadda. sum of them are arrogant like rickson but who wouldnt be when u seem to win in everything u do. they showed most of us the world of grappling and their basically a bunch of bad ass dudes who like to mix it up gracie style.

I give the Gracies two thumbs up for bringing us BJJ... if I ever get hit with a water bottle at a tournament though it'll have to be one thumb up for the art and one down for water bottle throwing...

I wouldn't be doing BJJ if not for the Gracies bringing it to the U.S.
The Gracie family has a lot of members. Some cool, some not. Can't group them all together.
They deserve respect for what they've done for BJJ, but some of the family has to realize that BJJ has evolved into more than just a Gracie-dominated sport. Just like Carlos and Helio took what they learned from Maeda and improved on it, there are many non-Gracie's nowadays who are taking what the Gracies did and improving on IT. Some of the Gracie family doesn't seem to accept this fact. Granted, there are also non-Gracie's out there who are taking what the Gracies did and turning it into shit.
You don't have to be a Gracie to be good in BJJ. And just because you're a Gracie doesn't mean you're automatically invincible. The mat is where it all comes out.
But overall, I have no hate for the Gracie name and family in general.

Never having met any of the Gracie clan all I can go on is what I read, watched and heard. But because of the Gracies I am able to enjoy BJJ

Back