Your opinions of the Gracie family - love or hate?

judogido

Aussie!, Aussie!, Aussie! ...
Reaction score
I've noticed opinions about the Gracie family in general are somewhat mixed - both within BJJ and from other MAs.

While most recognise & respect this family as the founders of BJJ, there seems to be either a love 'em or hate 'em attitude from some. The dislike stems from a bunch of things (I'm not claiming anything here) issues about a particular fight, claiming they "invented" things that have been around for generations, being too "money focused"... & more.

What are your thoughts? What's the good & bad about these guys.

(and yes I know - Kyra is HAWT...)

they teach me bjj a sport that i love, so love em and respect for all their contributions to grappling and mma

Not crazy about them just because of the fact that newbies think that they are the one and only best bjj practitioners in the world and think Royce is the most bad-ass out of all of the family

the name is great but has lost it's past larger than life nature....the Gracies are still bad ass though

plus relson invites everyone to his house for BBQ.

I've only met Igor, Rolles, Gregor, and Renzo. They are all great guys and have done a lot for my bjj and made me happy to train. Can't ever hate them.

I train at Rickson's school and he is really a unique, charismatic individual. I respect his dedication to BJJ and his achievements.

I like the Gracies for introducing the art of BJJ to the United States and altering my life for the better. There is no hate here.

I love them for many reasons but the number one reason is because I train with Relson and he does not hold anything back from me. I mean, I take unlimited training and even when the class is over he stays to give us tips or watch us train. The guy is 24 hour teacher, trainer, friend and family to me.

One night, class ran late and he rushed off to take a shower to go someplace. Some of my classmates were training for an upcoming event and started to roll. Relson comes out of the shower, fresh and clean and starts to tell everyone "Good class, thanks for coming my buddy." gives everyone a handshake and hug. He grabs his stuff from the office running really, REALLY late for whatever he has planned, and starts to go out the door, but something catches his eye. Two guys are sparring, rolling really hard and even though he is late for whatever, Relson starts back up the stairs to the academy and gets on the mat to explain what the one guy was doing wrong and what the other should have done. He got all sweaty again and his cell is just ringing, ringing, ringing. His shirt soaked with sweat. He pats the two guys on the back and says, "Good job." He then shakes my hand again, pats me on the back and smiles, "Telling me, oh man, I'm really late. Take care my buddy, good training.", then takes off. I can only imagine where he went or what they thought when he got to where he was going.

I met and got to train with Renzo, who is just funny as hell. I am so waiting for that documentary to come out so I can buy it. When he was in Hawaii training for the fight with BJ, Relson gave us strict warning not to bother him and Ricardo Almeida when they were training. But after a while, Renzo calls us over and gave us a free training seminar the night BEFORE his fight with BJ. That was awesome!

I met Royce at a fight also, maybe because I was with Relson or whatever but the guy was nice, took a couple pictures with me and encouraged me to keep training and wished me luck. Never had the fortune of taking a seminar or class with him though its still on my to do list.

Royler has been the most serious Gracie yet that I met. He came to the academy to TRAIN. I never really got to talk to him, shake his hand or take pictures or a private with him. When he came to the academy, he was serious and I guess it paid off because at the fights in Hawaii, he was really rocked by the slams he took. He looked out of it from where I sat, but he recovered and that triangle choke for the win.

I also met Renner, and he was very cool too. I was just a white belt at the time and I asked him some questions on his guard. He really took the time to explain it to me even though there was nothing in it for him. He ended up signing my GIA II dvds.

I met Ryan, briefly at the Renzo fight, took pictures with him and I am wishing him a quick recovery.

Igor very briefly also but he seemed nice to me.

Soon, I will be flying to Europe. I hope to train with Roger Gracie at the Gracie Barra UK and take a private lesson and classes while there.

So yeah, love all the way. :D

Awesome, jjmuaythaiguy. Relson sounds like my kinda guy.

[edit] ....in the NOT gay kinda way

I love them of course, gave us some of the most memorable moments in MMA, they're what really started MMA as a sport and BJJ.

jjmuaythaiguy said:
I love them for many reasons but the number one reason is because I train with Relson and he does not hold anything back from me. I mean, I take unlimited training and even when the class is over he stays to give us tips or watch us train. The guy is 24 hour teacher, trainer, friend and family to me.

One night, class ran late and he rushed off to take a shower to go someplace. Some of my classmates were training for an upcoming event and started to roll. Relson comes out of the shower, fresh and clean and starts to tell everyone "Good class, thanks for coming my buddy." gives everyone a handshake and hug. He grabs his stuff from the office running really, REALLY late for whatever he has planned, and starts to go out the door, but something catches his eye. Two guys are sparring, rolling really hard and even though he is late for whatever, Relson starts back up the stairs to the academy and gets on the mat to explain what the one guy was doing wrong and what the other should have done. He got all sweaty again and his cell is just ringing, ringing, ringing. His shirt soaked with sweat. He pats the two guys on the back and says, "Good job." He then shakes my hand again, pats me on the back and smiles, "Telling me, oh man, I'm really late. Take care my buddy, good training.", then takes off. I can only imagine where he went or what they thought when he got to where he was going.

I met and got to train with Renzo, who is just funny as hell. I am so waiting for that documentary to come out so I can buy it. When he was in Hawaii training for the fight with BJ, Relson gave us strict warning not to bother him and Ricardo Almeida when they were training. But after a while, Renzo calls us over and gave us a free training seminar the night BEFORE his fight with BJ. That was awesome!

I met Royce at a fight also, maybe because I was with Relson or whatever but the guy was nice, took a couple pictures with me and encouraged me to keep training and wished me luck. Never had the fortune of taking a seminar or class with him though its still on my to do list.

Royler has been the most serious Gracie yet that I met. He came to the academy to TRAIN. I never really got to talk to him, shake his hand or take pictures or a private with him. When he came to the academy, he was serious and I guess it paid off because at the fights in Hawaii, he was really rocked by the slams he took. He looked out of it from where I sat, but he recovered and that triangle choke for the win.

I also met Renner, and he was very cool too. I was just a white belt at the time and I asked him some questions on his guard. He really took the time to explain it to me even though there was nothing in it for him. He ended up signing my GIA II dvds.

I met Ryan, briefly at the Renzo fight, took pictures with him and I am wishing him a quick recovery.

Soon, I will be flying to Europe. I hope to train with Roger Gracie at the Gracie Barra UK and take a private lesson and classes while there.

you forgot to mention the BBQ's..... :mad:

2om30 said:
you forgot to mention the BBQ's..... :mad:

No bro, you had the covered, but yeah, Relson is a hell of a host and BBQs at his house are memorable with Relson doing the cooking and us the eating and drinking.

Soid said:
I've only met Igor, Rolles, Gregor, and Renzo. They are all great guys and have done a lot for my bjj and made me happy to train. Can't ever hate them.
I train with the above poster and share his opinion, though I did get to train with royce as well, which was also cool

They are cool, I respect them for everything they have done. Brazilians in general are cool as hell. Pedro Sauer is awesome as well.

The only thing I don't like is all that drama I hear all the time.

Bama Zulu said:
They are cool, I respect them for everything they have done. Brazilians in general are cool as hell. Pedro Sauer is awesome as well.

The only thing I don't like is all that drama I hear all the time.
yeah i turn a deaf ear to all that BJJ politics too.

if it wasnt for royce I would have never gotten started in bjj

i love the gracies

jjmuaythaiguy said:

Holy shit I'd love to go to Relson's. Dude sounds really cool. You are so lucky to be training there.Almost as lucky as I am to have my instructors haha :wink:

love of course, hate is a waste of energy.

the main thing is to see them as human,
no crazy high expectations, no big criticisms,
they are just people who have been extremely
influencial and historical!!!

Back