• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your favourite decade for Cinema? why?

moreorless87

Straba
@plutonium
Reaction score
Pretty simply question that I don't recall seeing asked here recently, not sure I could answer it easily myself but it would probably be from the 70's onwards.

The 70's might well be the most popular answer here I'm guessing with more serious drama dominating the mainstream more than it ever has since plus the drawn of the blockbuster in the latter part of the decade. My knowledge still remains rather thinner though beyond the more well known cinema, especially with foreign cinema bar someone like Tarkovsky.

The 80's I spose comes to mind obviously as the decade of mainstream cinema I grew up with most(including a lot of it still making up 90's TV showings) and I do think its the clear peak of the blockbuster format with creative people(Spielberg, Lucas, Zemekis, Carpenter etc) still in control for the most part. The early part of the decade especially I think stands out for both that and having the reminants of new wave ambition to it with Blade Runner, The Shining, Once Upon A Time in America, Raging Bull etc.

The 90's looking back really was not a good time for blockbuster cinema with a lot of uncreative CGI heavy trash as they went on but did have the benefit of the rise of smaller scale cinema from Tarantino, the Coens, etc argubely at their peaks although I still think a lack of depth there beyond them.

The 00's recovered somewhat in the mainstream with Jacksons LOTR and Nolans Batman although a lot of chaff was still around. On the more indie side I think we did start to see some more successful takes on QT with the likes of Sexy Beast and In Bruge.

The 10's has the benefit of being the decade were access to non blockbuster cinema has arguably been easier than ever before which probably helps but still I think this decade has actually been far more creative than is often talked up with a lot more variety as well. On the mainstream side Marvel have certainly been very consistant although still I think maybe lacking in more than a few outright classics.

90's:

Forrest Gump
Shawshank Redemption
T2
Silence of the Lambs
Fargo
Dumb and Dumber
Rounders
Saving Private Ryan
Apollo 13
Fight Club
Office Space
American Beauty
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Schindler's List
A River Runs Through It
Liar, Liar
American History X
Baseketball
He Got Game
Good Will Hunting
Die Hard movie with Samuel Jackson
Weekend at Bernie's II
Fugitive
Austin Powers
Wayne's World
Happy Gilmore
Billy Madison
Waterboy
Braveheart
Last of the Mohicans
The Crucible
Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park: the Lost World
There's Something About Mary

Last edited:
The 90's looking back really was not a good time for blockbuster cinema with a lot of uncreative CGI heavy trash as they went on but did have the benefit of the rise of smaller scale cinema from Tarantino, the Coens, etc argubely at their peaks although I still think a lack of depth there beyond them.

90s CGI trash? that was the start of CGI probably. And '99 gave us The Matrix. One of the Godfather movies of CGI. @gspieler gave us a great list of movies from the 90s...

Pretty simply question that I don't recall seeing asked here recently, not sure I could answer it easily myself but it would probably be from the 70's onwards.

The 70's might well be the most popular answer here I'm guessing with more serious drama dominating the mainstream more than it ever has since plus the drawn of the blockbuster in the latter part of the decade. My knowledge still remains rather thinner though beyond the more well known cinema, especially with foreign cinema bar someone like Tarkovsky.

The 80's I spose comes to mind obviously as the decade of mainstream cinema I grew up with most(including a lot of it still making up 90's TV showings) and I do think its the clear peak of the blockbuster format with creative people(Spielberg, Lucas, Zemekis, Carpenter etc) still in control for the most part. The early part of the decade especially I think stands out for both that and having the reminants of new wave ambition to it with Blade Runner, The Shining, Once Upon A Time in America, Raging Bull etc.

The 00's recovered somewhat in the mainstream with Jacksons LOTR and Nolans Batman although a lot of chaff was still around. On the more indie side I think we did start to see some more successful takes on QT with the likes of Sexy Beast and In Bruge.

The 10's has the benefit of being the decade were access to non blockbuster cinema has arguably been easier than ever before which probably helps but still I think this decade has actually been far more creative than is often talked up with a lot more variety as well. On the mainstream side Marvel have certainly been very consistant although still I think maybe lacking in more than a few outright classics.

The 90's is before cgi got shitty. Why? Because they used it sparingly. T2 and Jurassic Park are classic examples of how cgi can be integrated into a film, without it being a detriment. Today's film have an over-reliance on it, to the point of it affecting the film IMO.

The 90's was a decade where we started seeing some really cerebral, mind bending films as well as super stylish films.

70s had the best Movie titles.

Ex:

A Clockwork Orange
Death walks on High Heels
Superfly
Blackbelt Jones
Enter the Dragon
Vampyros Lesbos
Blazing Saddles
One flew over the Cuckoos Nest
Smokey and the Bandit
Dirty Dingus McGee
Dirty Harry
Shaft
Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
Supervixens
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
Live and Let Die
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
Dolemite
Grand Theft Auto
Death Race 2000
The Dirty Mind of Young Sally

80's. Synergy between music and cinema was never higher.

The 90's is before cgi got shitty. Why? Because they used it sparingly. T2 and Jurassic Park are classic examples of how cgi can be integrated into a film, without it being a detriment. Today's film have an over-reliance on it, to the point of it affecting the film IMO.

The early 90's started off well for blockbusters I'd agree with T2, Jurassic Park, etc using CGI sparingly in good cinema but it wasn't long before you had Emmerichian blockbusters selling themselves on the latest(now dated)CGI gizmo more than anything else.

I dont think a reasonable argument can be made for any generation topping the 90s...

Jurassic Park
FIGHT CLUB
Saving Private Ryan
Goodwill Hunting
Silence otL

Etc...I mean come on. GOAT

80s
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Conan the Barbarian
Terminator
Aliens
Predator
Rocky 3 & 4
First Blood 1 & 2
Commando
The Running Man
Star Trek II - IV
Scarface
Back to the Future 1 & 2
Ferris Beuler’s Day Off
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Uncle Buck
The Transformers movie (the good one)

Call me a hipster asshole but I'd probably say the 60's. Mainly for dat French cinema

So many other classics from that decade on top of that

Last edited:
Call me a hipster asshole but I'd probably say the 60's. Mainly for dat French New Wave

So many other classics from that decade on top of that

Arguebly the most important decade I spose although the 50's could claim the real start of the the European/Japanese new wave although personally I still find a lot of what was being produced that decade was sticking to the older stufifer more theatrical style, a lot of not very interesting (well the Italian Job I spose)camp big releases as well.

You could I'd say argue that the last 10-15 years has been a bit of a new new wave with ultra realism on the rise,

I like the acting and pacing of the 1970s.

Godfather 1
Godfather 2
And Justice for All
Taxi Driver
Rocky
Rocky 2
Jaws
Jaws 2
Death Wish
The Marathon Man
Coming Home
Klute
The Deer Hunter
Star Wars
FIST
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
The Exorcist
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
Serpico
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Chinatown
Alien
Silent Running
Day of the Jackal
Dog Day Afternoon
Rolling Thunder
MASH
Fingers
Looking for Mr. Goodbar
Man in Wilderness
Demon Seed
Mean Streets
THX 1138
The Wicker Man
Etc.

You had the prime performances of Pacino, DeNiro, Keitel, Duvall, Diane Keaton, Julie Christie, Richard Dreyfuss, Robert Shaw, William Devane, Warren Beatty, Ellen Burstyn, Roy Scheider, Jane Fonda, Bruce Dern, John Cazale, Joe Spinell, Donald Sutherland, Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford, Jon Voight, Michael V. Gazzo, Burt Young, Jack Nicholson, Richard Harris, Maximilian Schell and many others.

Last edited:
Probably the 2040's... just wait.

Probably the 2040's... just wait.

"Vin Deisels left eyebrow not enough to sustain interest in F&F franchise"

"Starwars episode 17 critics are bigoted against transgender robot mice"

"Fury Road sequel due any day now"

I dont think a reasonable argument can be made for any generation topping the 90s...

Jurassic Park
FIGHT CLUB
Saving Private Ryan
Goodwill Hunting
Silence otL

Etc...I mean come on. GOAT

80s

period

Videodrome, NOES, F13, Terminator, The Thing, Blade Runner, Hellraiser, the shining, full metal jacket, clue, history of the world pt1, Scarface, The untouchables, beverly hills cop, predator, conan, aliens, and etc etc etc

It is the 80s and nothing else even comes fucking close.

I'm cheating
40s-50s:
The Golden Years of "Old" Hollywood.
A lot of European Directing Talents who fled Nazi-occupied Europe like:
Fritz Lang,Billy Wilder,Otto Preminger,Robert Siodmak,Edward Dmytryk.
Orson Welles at his best.
The best years for Film Noir & Western (Ford, Hawkes, Mann), 2 of my fave Genres.
Just a snippet of 50s greats:

Citizen Kane
Casablanca
The Killers
Kiss me Deadly
The Big Sleep
Ben Hur
Bridge on the River Kwai
On the Waterfront
Paths of Glory
High Noon

70s:
New Hollywood opening up for new ideas and european influences.
Coppola
Scorsese
Bogdanovich
Altman
Lumet
Pollack
Kubrick

The Decade that gave birth to Summer Blockbusters like Jaws & Star Wars.

Taxi Driver
Chinatown
The Godfather 1&2
Apocalypse Now
Alien
The Deer Hunter
Dog Day Afternoon
Network

Back