Your E-life before Sherdog...

Never used another forum, started on here in college, before that I didn't really use the internet except to do basic research for school projects.

Found Sherdog years ago after researching fighters records. Never was a forum guy, except for Dean Koontz and Stephen King forums to find out about new books, and recommendations etc.

ESPN (GOAT forum before they changed the rules) and maxboxing

I used to be on 3 car related forums and thats about it.

From 1999 to 2001 I was a member of a forum for Diablo 2 players, I believe the website was diabloii.net where people could discuss what they were looking forward to when the game came out etc. When the game finally released in July 2000 I stuck around for another year on that forums off topic subforum which was equivalent to our Mayberry.

The makers of diabloii.net then made a site in anticipation of the release of Warcraft 3, warcraftiii.net so I moved over to those forums from 2001 to 2003, and basically did the same thing there, hanging out in their off topic subforum.

I didn't really hang out in any forums between 2003 and 2006, until I got into MMA from watching season 3 of TUF. You can guess who Tbonetron and Tbonetron2.0 were :p

And lol at the remarks about positive balance in the op. he was the first mod I ever remember losing mod status, and then shortly thereafter I remember him getting banned. Did he lose his mod status due to abusing his powers on GSP fans and Penn critics?

Twenty years ago it would have been weird and mental to meetup with anyone you met online.
Amazing how things changed in the past ten years or so.

I've met two Sherdoggers in real life. One is autolycus (he only really frequents the heavies, been a member since 2007) we worked together as lawyers at a law firm for 3 years, though we'd each been Sherdoggers a lot longer than that. We'd been working together about two months or so before we started discussing our mutual interest in MMA. We both left that law firm in 2014 but we're very close and I'd count him among my 5 closest friends of my entire life.

The other sherdogger I met in person was Prokofevian (I think he only frequents the war room and the sports bar). He found out I was a lawyer in Edmonton and he was finishing up his masters degree in engineering in late 2013. He was thinking about writing the lsat exam so he asked if we could meet up for coffee to learn about what law school was like and what the practice of law was like, so I talked to him about it for a couple of hours, toured him around my office etc. Never really followed up with him to find out whether he ended up going ahead with writing the exam or applying to any law schools.

Autosport forum?

albyndy2_174206988.jpg

I was pretty active on live journal and modded/ran their mma community. As LJ died down, when myspace came along, I started posting on sherdog.

other then that, it was pretty much just trolling yahoo and aol chat rooms.

Did any one else come to Sherdog via alt.ufc and USENET?

(tell me I'm not the only one!).

Played counter-strike tournaments. Then I got into paintball, spent time at PBNation. Played on a few teams which led to playing for Palm Beach Vipers and a few try outs/practices for Miami Rage. Spent a lot of time online helping players hock their gear to make rent, etc. I played one pro game at World Cup, which was my goal(classified as semi-pro). After meeting that goal I gave up paintball and started pursuing outdoor sports. Got into backpacking/mountaineering and spent time a backpacking.com. MMA was always a part of my life, I got hugely invested in it when Tanner made a comeback run, and I spend most of my time here now(mayberry).

I still spend time at backpacker and Whiteblaze. But not as much as here.

Remember MySpace? AOL Chat rooms? Yahoo messenger? Those were the bomb.

None really. Lurked back in 04, made an account in 06 where I forgot my password & email add that I used., moved to another site where I'm still active with 35k posts, stop posting in the ug because they're gay...& because I got banned. Some jiujitsu forums. That's pretty much it since I don't do the social media thing.

You posted over at MMA.com? It's funny because whenever someone over there admits they post/posted here they catch shit for it. But no one over on this site seems to give anyone shit for posting elsewhere. It's cool and hilarious to me at the same time.

On topic I posted on a few sites before SD and have been spending more time lately posting on a local sports based forum for Chicago the last year or so which us why I don't post here as much as I used to.

I've never spent as much time or had one account last as long with so many posts as I have here on SD tho. Fo sho

WW2Online forums.

Pre-YouTube, but a few members made some good gameplay videos. Great off-topic section too.

I was posting on Sherdog since 03... which is practically the start of popular internet message boards. I e-grew up here.

Gamefaqs.

But I am a sherdogger since 2001 (lurker) and thats when the internet was only starting to get mainstream all around.

Back