Your BJJ / Judo belts

iclimb513 said:
BJJ blue belt + 3 stripes (4th coming any time now I think)

2 years and 2 months.

What the hell is this "Judo" you speak of? :)
I am not sure... is it a japeneese car?

if I was suppose to be given the belt by the instructor, who said I
made it to that level, but I quit before I went to go pickup my belt,
can I still claim to be the belt that I never recieved?

VampireMonk said:
Yes and No... If you never used the belt so i think No... But a good question

sweepsubmit said:
Cojofl
complimentary peanuts

How are you still a green belt after six years?

Oh, BJJ white(2 years) and Judo brown (3.5 years).

In Europe, no black belts around to promote me.

I wasn't making fun anyway, just enquiring.

VampireMonk said:

If it's not an art that is nationally regulated, I don't seewhy not. Most schools hae nothign but yoruword to go on when youshow up, or that of your former instructors if they check. That is, til you get on the mat.

I know that I was going to be promoted in Judo years back before I shipped out, the instructor only delayed it a class because he wanted my brother and best friend to be there. Unfortunately, our deployment was moved up and I missed the next class. I never receied the belt or certificate, so when I went to my next school I had to register with USJF, and wound up with ablue belt, which we didn't even have in the rank progression of the old school.

I was like eternally frozen between ikkyu and sankyu.

blackbelt traditonal judo (non sport, trained for self defense), current green in sport judo for competition(only b/c the belts are part of the grading for college credit).

funny i wouldnt have imagined the differences before but now that im training in sport judo im so happy for my traditional judo and ju jitsu background

scorcho said:
Brown belt (testing for black at the end of the year), TJJ, 3.5 years.

Forgive my ignorance.. but what is TJJ?

Oh, BJJ White belt few months

pugz said:
blackbelt traditonal judo (non sport, trained for self defense), current green in sport judo for competition(only b/c the belts are part of the grading for college credit).

funny i wouldnt have imagined the differences before but now that im training in sport judo im so happy for my traditional judo and ju jitsu background

*thumbs up* HUGE difference. It was tough to adjust to at first.

And other dude, TJJ is "Traditional (read: Japanese) Jiu Jitsu".

Ybot said:
Dude, it's blues like you that scare me.... I mean honestly do you really think you should still be blue after five years? Plus the base in JJJ isn't bad going into BJJ and I'm sure the Jud helps too.

Are you stating that Japanese Jujutsu belts are not equivalent / recognized by Gracie jiujitsu clubs/gyms?

Just curious...

Ghostrider said:
Are you stating that Japanese Jujutsu belts are not equivalent / recognized by Gracie jiujitsu clubs/gyms?

Just curious...

Why should they be? They don't recognize TKD or Judo rank either... They're different arts.

stephensharp said:
Why should they be? They don't recognize TKD or Judo rank either... They're different arts.

The only reason I thought the belts were equivalent was that Gracie Jiujitsu came from Japanese Jujutsu. You say that the Gracie Jiujitsu has evolved and is considered another art. That makes sense. This would be similar to WTF and ITF Taekwondo differences. The belts from one do not translate to another although they have the same base.

Ghostrider said:
The only reason I thought the belts were equivalent was that Gracie Jiujitsu came from Japanese Jujutsu. You say that the Gracie Jiujitsu has evolved and is considered another art. That makes sense. This would be similar to WTF and ITF Taekwondo differences. The belts from one do not translate to another although they have the same base.

Judo also came from JJJ, and in fact GJJ came form a guy that had black belts in JJJ AND Judo, who also traveled around with catch wrestlers making cash. The Gracies kept the name of Jiu Jitsu, but it's really such a mix of different stuff, it's as different from JJJ as Judo is, and every bit as different from Judo.

Didn't mean to come off like I was jumping down your throat (if that's the way you took it). Just saying, they're day and night, as far as the proponents of each style are concerned.

I did not see it as rude. I find this subject interesting. I am learning Japanese Jujitsu in addition to Judo. The instructor/sensei was very specific in saying that this was not sports/competition judo as it is more traditional /self-defense oriented. When I read your earlier post as TJJ, I was curious as what I am practicing seems to be what you call TJJ as opposed to sports judo. I appreciate the input as it is always good to learn more about the martial arts in general.

BJJ Blue Belt : 1,5 years
Tkd and Kickboxing (black belt) for 8 years right now

Ghostrider said:
I did not see it as rude. I find this subject interesting. I am learning Japanese Jujitsu in addition to Judo. The instructor/sensei was very specific in saying that this was not sports/competition judo as it is more traditional /self-defense oriented. When I read your earlier post as TJJ, I was curious as what I am practicing seems to be what you call TJJ as opposed to sports judo. I appreciate the input as it is always good to learn more about the martial arts in general.

Yeah, Judo for self defense is a lot more like JJJ/TJJ. That's the style of Judo I was first learning along with BJJ, and the instructor was quick to warn us that we probably wouldn't enjoy a sport-oriented Judo class.

BJJ Blue Belt. Been training for a little under 14 months total now. Ive put in good time but have definitely been injured a lot. Id say 3 months out of my total training time which sucked. But I just got my blue belt at the end of September. So that purple belt is looking like its on the other side of the globe right now, but I'll make it eventually.

Back