• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Multiplatform You Need To Play SIGNALIS

WhiteMousse

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Survival Horror is hit or miss. I don't care what anyone says, Resident Evil Village sucked. Which is ultra disappointing because REVII was amazing, and made everyone realize that Survival Horror and the RE franchise itself is not in fact dead.

Scorn is more of a puzzle game, which is not to insult it, but there's a certain itch that hasn't been scratched in a while.

Unless you've played Signalis. It's engaging, scary, compelling, lonely and sad. It has the ache of a dream where you've been searching for someone you love, always finding clues but never they themselves. The word "ache" is really the operative word here-- it's what I felt as I was moving through the game's story.

The level design and item management system, paired with a radio that is implemented in very creative and satisfying manner, all coalesce into an incredible piece of software. The art direction is awesome. Even though the cutscenes have an anime-ish style, there is some extremely disturbing imagery and I'm not talking about violence or gore. It just becomes more grotesque, and I for the first time since I played Silent Hill so long ago, I felt that very uneasy feeling. Finally the music is gorgeous. There are areas and boss fights whose disturbing subject matter is enhanced by the relentless score. The first boss fight is fucked, and part of that is the disorienting music. I'm hoping the OST goes on Vinyl like Loop Hero's did.

The story is compelling, intriguing. I never got bored. It doesn't suffer from "second-half-itis". You know what I'm talking about. The atmosphere demonstrates a perfect gradual descent into madness and hell. This is essentially how Diablo II and III should have modeled their atmosphere.

Regarding gameplay- the gear and weapons are fun as hell. The combat is nerve wracking but satisfying. You really do have to be selective about whether you're going to fight or run. There's enough inventory "cushion" so that you can make errors and keep going, but you have great incentive to be smart and think through your decisions carefully. Again, the level design is such that you just don't want to put it down. I never felt flooded with a billion puzzle items that had no context, but neither would I say it's simple. I know I've used the word already but it's truly compelling.

This could be my game of the year, no joke. Elden Ring is probably better. But I liked this even more than GoWR. Do yourself a favor and get it. If you are a survival horror nut this is an absolute must. Non-negotiable.

One caveat-- I was playing with a controller first and the aiming was spazzing out the whole time. Could just be me but my official recommendation is PC, although if the Switch doesn't have aiming issues, I would definitely recommend it for that.

Enjoy.
SIGNALIS-Penrose-1.png

ss_a2603694154878b8260c1dd498a06168cad012a4.1920x1080.jpg

52198673429_8811116096_h.jpg

SIGNALIS-UI-Inventory-PC-Controller.png

signalis-11-01-22-2.jpg

Never heard of this, looks amazing thanks for the heads up, gonna get this when I finish Ragnarok.

Survival Horror is hit or miss. I don't care what anyone says, Resident Evil Village sucked. Which is ultra disappointing because REVII was amazing, and made everyone realize that Survival Horror and the RE franchise itself is not in fact dead.

Scorn is more of a puzzle game, which is not to insult it, but there's a certain itch that hasn't been scratched in a while.

Unless you've played Signalis. It's engaging, scary, compelling, lonely and sad. It has the ache of a dream where you've been searching for someone you love, always finding clues but never they themselves. The word "ache" is really the operative word here-- it's what I felt as I was moving through the game's story.

The level design and item management system, paired with a radio that is implemented in very creative and satisfying manner, all coalesce into an incredible piece of software. The art direction is awesome. Even though the cutscenes have an anime-ish style, there is some extremely disturbing imagery and I'm not talking about violence or gore. It just becomes more grotesque, and I for the first time since I played Silent Hill so long ago, I felt that very uneasy feeling. Finally the music is gorgeous. There are areas and boss fights whose disturbing subject matter is enhanced by the relentless score. The first boss fight is fucked, and part of that is the disorienting music. I'm hoping the OST goes on Vinyl like Loop Hero's did.

The story is compelling, intriguing. I never got bored. It doesn't suffer from "second-half-itis". You know what I'm talking about. The atmosphere demonstrates a perfect gradual descent into madness and hell. This is essentially how Diablo II and III should have modeled their atmosphere.

Regarding gameplay- the gear and weapons are fun as hell. The combat is nerve wracking but satisfying. You really do have to be selective about whether you're going to fight or run. There's enough inventory "cushion" so that you can make errors and keep going, but you have great incentive to be smart and think through your decisions carefully. Again, the level design is such that you just don't want to put it down. I never felt flooded with a billion puzzle items that had no context, but neither would I say it's simple. I know I've used the word already but it's truly compelling.

This could be my game of the year, no joke. Elden Ring is probably better. But I liked this even more than GoWR. Do yourself a favor and get it. If you are a survival horror nut this is an absolute must. Non-negotiable.

One caveat-- I was playing with a controller first and the aiming was spazzing out the whole time. Could just be me but my official recommendation is PC, although if the Switch doesn't have aiming issues, I would definitely recommend it for that.

Enjoy.
SIGNALIS-Penrose-1.png

ss_a2603694154878b8260c1dd498a06168cad012a4.1920x1080.jpg

52198673429_8811116096_h.jpg

SIGNALIS-UI-Inventory-PC-Controller.png

signalis-11-01-22-2.jpg

Disagree wit RE8 take, but this, Pentiment, Vampire Survivors, Metal hellsinger are on my immediate backlog. Thank god for gamepass.

Picked this up recently on Steam with some Xmas gift card cash. I'll break 'er in this weekend

This looks awesome. Just finished RE:Zero and still have a hankering for some more survival. Wed going to jump to RE remaster, but think I'll jump on this instead.

Are the controls good or RE style shitty on purpose?

As a package its better than both OG RE2 and Silent Hill 2.

RE3 OG may be my favourite title of the old school PS1/PS2 survival horror, and wow this may have just topped that.

Couple of hours in and really enjoying it. The limited inventory and not knowing what items I need is leading to a little back tracking. Found a shotgun but don't want to bring it with me since that would take an additional 2 item slots with ammo.

Really digging the art style and the level of tension is high with enemies reanimating with the limited ammo.

Downloaded this based on this thread. Not sure when I’ll get to it as Im bouncing back and forth between high on life and little nightmares 2 at the moment

Couple of hours in and really enjoying it. The limited inventory and not knowing what items I need is leading to a little back tracking. Found a shotgun but don't want to bring it with me since that would take an additional 2 item slots with ammo.

Really digging the art style and the level of tension is high with enemies reanimating with the limited ammo.
Pretty much my exact experience so far. I literally played for two hours and got to around that point haha.

Definitely digging it so far. Playing on Survival and feeling that crunch of limited resources and having to pick and choose when I should engage and when I should avoid completely.

Last edited:
Beat the first boss this morning. There is a save room just before that has an obvious "go here to fight a boss!" vibe going on.

Adjusted my load out for the shotgun over the pistol since I had stocked up quite a bit of ammo. Engaged in the fight and took some time to figure out windows to attack. By the time I felt good about what to do I had used quite a bit of resources so let him kill to try again. Second run went better at first and swapped to the pistol and went much smoother. A few things that made this fight kind of suck due to line of sight and add spawn timing. Attempt fell apart so started again.

Third go I smashed him. Only got hit once because I had poor positioning when I thought I was safe.

I thought the mechanics if this first boss were fine, but there was some stuff that seemed to be straight up luck where the boss stops and is open for damage, or if when adds spawn in at a bad time when trying to deal damage and you have to deal with adds rather than damaging the boss.

Beat the first boss this morning. There is a save room just before that has an obvious "go here to fight a boss!" vibe going on.

Adjusted my load out for the shotgun over the pistol since I had stocked up quite a bit of ammo. Engaged in the fight and took some time to figure out windows to attack. By the time I felt good about what to do I had used quite a bit of resources so let him kill to try again. Second run went better at first and swapped to the pistol and went much smoother. A few things that made this fight kind of suck due to line of sight and add spawn timing. Attempt fell apart so started again.

Third go I smashed him. Only got hit once because I had poor positioning when I thought I was safe.

I thought the mechanics if this first boss were fine, but there was some stuff that seemed to be straight up luck where the boss stops and is open for damage, or if when adds spawn in at a bad time when trying to deal damage and you have to deal with adds rather than damaging the boss.
May be a spoiler for the boss designs, I figured this out whilst running around and unloading everything into them.

The boss gameplay design is fantastic. You feel like you need to unload into em to drop em etc, you kinda do sometimes but the game realises when yure low on ammo etc, and if you survive long enough the disease will help make em fall on their knees. Fantastic because it fits in with the lore and story of whats going on.

First Boss:
I think the first boss doesnt take damage at all during the stand up phase, only when he falls to his knees. If you wait long enough he falls to his knees, or you can unload into him to make it quicker. Great boss design for more pacifists or the rambos as I think you can kill him without damaging him at all

A spoiler if you like finding and experimenting with gameplay to figure things out.
The pistol is powerful and if you can make use of the final stand mechanic, you never really need to heal. Doesnt tell you but if youre 1 hit from death and survive long enough, you can take an additional hit, and you can keep doing this forever. Useful for survival difficulty.

Always forget about spoiler tags. Will definitely use them more.

Didn't know about the last stand thing, will try to apply that more. I feel like they throw you a pretty healthy amount of low tier healing items that I haven't felt in danger from being low on supplies.

Running from mobs can be easy enough. There has been a few times though I've come back into a room and the enemy was literally on top of me and gets in a hit or two before you can clear enough space.

Just finished it got Promise.

Loved it, recommend to any RE, Silent Hill fans.

Didn't know about the last stand thing, will try to apply that more. I feel like they throw you a pretty healthy amount of low tier healing items that I haven't felt in danger from being low on supplies.
Are you playing on Survival? Early game is easy but towards the end game, youll see a bump up in damage taken.

Aiming mechanics are broken but not 'turn like the Queen Mary' Resident Evil bad.
It has no auto aim and on PC its basically fine, on controller its a little finicky, but it adds to the survival horror. YOU gotta be accurate.

Thanks I’ll check this out.

Back