You have an 89% chance of dying in 10 if you retire at 55

If you retire early, just stay active. Go to the gym and eat healthy.

I can care less of your interpretation of the Bible.

Brutal and fast

giphy.gif

Honestly, you had me till the jesus part. I'll comment on the stuff before that..

Staying active is probably the best thing for your health in those later years. How many people retire then just melt away on the couch doing nothing? It's like people retire, lose all muscle mass, and die. You have to keep the brain and body active.
Neighbor next door is 91, gardens everyday smoking a cigar. He just said yesterday "i never stop cause once I do, im not starting again"

Nowhere in those babble verses did I get that impression

<{walkerwhut}>

You think "enjoying" 5 years is better than living an extra 25? What is it you're going to do with those 5 years that you think will be so enjoyable? It's usually heavy drinking and sitting around. Having all leisure time sounds great if you're 25 and trying to get laid and can pretend hanging out in bars is cute. It's really depressing if you're 60.

You’re making my argument for me, that it’s depressing at 60. So why not enjoy 55-59 instead of working an extra 10 years and then retiring at 65 and wasting away for another 20.

You’re making my argument for me, that it’s depressing at 60. So why not enjoy 55-59 instead of working an extra 10 years and then retiring at 65 and wasting away for another 20.
It's depressing at 55. Hell, it's depressing at 40. I'll ask again, what is it that you think you'll be doing for 5 years from 55-60 that's so awesome? Certainly if you have a family it'll just be to embarrass them by being a lazy drunk until you die while they're still reasonably young.

It's depressing at 55. Hell, it's depressing at 40. I'll ask again, what is it that you think you'll be doing for 5 years from 55-60 that's so awesome? Certainly if you have a family it'll just be to embarrass them by being a lazy drunk until you die while they're still reasonably young.

My dad retired at 56. Now he’s 74. In those early years of retirement he did lots of traveling, golf, skiing etc. At 71 he had a valve replacement heart surgery. Now he can’t afford travel medical insurance. He’s also has to have surgery on his knees so he can’t play sports anymore.

There can be a big difference between 55 and 65 for some people.

Haaaa! Way ahead of you good sir.

- still lift weights at least 5 days a week
- still training BJJ regularly
- back in August I competed in 4 BJJ tournaments (two gi, two no gi). Racked up 3 golds and 1 silver.
Then you should be fine, I guess.

(sorry for all the editing, there's a lot of t's to cross and i's to dot in this post)

The difference is thus:

X% + 89% is X% + 89%

89% of 100% is 89%

Where X is the chance of a 65 yr old retiree dying after retiring in the next 10 years.

It basically means early retirees have an 89% greater chance of dying ages 55-65 than 65 yr old retirees have of dying 65-75. So if a 65 yr old retiree who is 65 years old has a 21% chance of dying before 75, a 55 yr old retiree has a (21 + 89 =) 110% chance of 21%, so that's 23% chance of dying before reaching 65, assuming a 65 yr old retiree has 21% chance of dying in 10 years.

How do we get that figure? We already added 89 to 21, which satisfies an "89% greater chance of dying", but a part of what? Well, there's a few likely possibilities, but since it's never explicitly said, we have to try all of them! So first we'll try 110% of 21%. We need to convert this sentence to an equation: what part of 21% is 110%?

Which is, when we consider a percentage is a part per 100..:

N divided by (21% divided by 100) = 110% divided by 100

solve for N and multiply by 100 to convert back to percent and add 21%. (You can probably skip all the dividing by 100, but I'm set in my ways)

Or, it could mean 189% more, which would be 60% chance of a 55yr old retiree dying in the next 10 years. However considering the link below shows the chance of dying in 10 years for a 55 yr old man is about 11%, I'm going to assume my first guess was true. Or, we could say it's straight 110%, which is what the TS is saying, which doesn't sound right at all looking at other sources of data!

https://www.finder.com/life-insurance/odds-of-dying

In a different subject, a lot of studies are influenced by standard deviation, when mean absolute deviation tends to actually be what we think of.. instead of standard deviation, which inflates projections. So basically this statistic is most likely meaningful by... say 1-3%.

Sorry to burst your bubble TS, hoping to share the wealth of statistical knowledge I have before I die. ;)
Man, you are way off.

Increasing 21% by 89% gives you neither 23% nor 60%.

Here's a tip: increasing any number by 100% would double that number, so an 89% increase of 21% should give you about 40%.

Or if you want to be more precise: 21 x (100 + 89) / 100 = 39,69%

So according to the TS, God teaches that we should not save towards the future. Sounds like bad advice, God

My father-in-law retired when he was 54 and he turned 79 in December. He's beaten the odds, although he's fucked up with Parkinson's and a little Alzheimer's.

According to webmd:

After age 65, the early retirees have a 37% higher risk of death than counterparts that retired at 65. That's not all. People who retire at 55 are 89% more likely to die in the 10 years after retirement than those who retire at 65.Oct 20, 2005
WebMD › Healthy Aging › News
Early Retirement, Early Death? - WebMD
Whats even more amazing is that Jesus said this would be so:

Luke 12
He told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

18“Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.” ’

20“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

21“This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

I just finished reading Luke, I retired at 55, at 56 I was diagnosed with cancer. Darkest times I lived through, it really is a life changing event.

If Jesus also predicted the Corona virus and parasite would win best picture then get preachy on a kung fu forum

So according to the TS, God teaches that we should not save towards the future. Sounds like bad advice, God

No. Proverbs has a lot to say about saving money. Dave Ramsey bases all his courses on proverbs actually.

The verse says to those who arent rich towards God.

I just finished reading Luke, I retired at 55, at 56 I was diagnosed with cancer. Darkest times I lived through, it really is a life changing event.

Sorry to hear that man.

How is your health now?

Back