Yet Another Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed Review

Aesopian

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I bought Eddie Bravo's Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed the week it was released, and after months of putting it to use, I figure I've had time enough to give it a review. I'm not going to really go into things like the black and white photos or moves not having enough photos, since I didn't have any trouble with these like some people. I found the text and descriptions clear and interesting, and the pictures served their purpose. What I really want to go over is what I've actually picked up from this book that I have been able to add to my game, since in the end, that's what really matters. I've read plenty of glossy and expensive BJJ books that I end up taking almost nothing from. So let's get down to it:

Probably the most significant addition to my game is the twister side control (a form of reverse scarf hold). I use it all the time now, even when I'm not looking to get a twister. The kimura from here is very handy too.

I use the twister half guard pass (where you face their legs) a lot now, and though I'd see passes like it before, the book got me to start using it more to go along with twister side control.

For a couple weeks after reading the book, I was getting a lot of twisters, banana splits, crotch rippers and calf crushes from The Truck (a control position when you're on your way to the twister), but I stopped going for them as much lately. I ran into some trouble setting up the twister roll and decided to work on other things.

I was already doing well with half guard before this book, but I started using Old School more, and I picked up some new moves like the Half and Twist, Half Quarterback sweep and a couple other ones where you go to your knees while still trapping their leg.

I get the kamizake calf crush all the time. I try for the Apolo (arm triangle from under half guard to sweep) often enough but have yet to finish it on anyone. I'll go for the electric chair (banana split from half guard) but usually just use it to go out the back or sweeping (which he says will happen, so no surprise).

I've made some use of Mission Control and New York and their triangle and omoplatas, but what's funny is that out of all the rubber guard moves, I use the Meathook (triangle setup) and Crowbar (omoplata setup) the most, and they aren't in the book (just Grappling Mag articles). I'll sometimes pull off stuff like the Invisible Collar (shoulder crush), the Duda (biceps slicer from guard), etc. but not as much as I probably could (I've been working on a different style of guard).

There are a couple other moves in this book that I use regularly (x-guard, double under pass, no-hand pass, triangle arm bar) but I can't credit it with them since I'd already been doing them before I read this book. They are still good moves regardless of where I got them.

Considering how much unique content this book contains, and how many of them fit into or added to my game, this is one of the best BJJ books out there, especially considering I spent less than $15 on it. Definitely pick it up.

One thing I didn't understand in this book is the way he shows to catch the leg from twister side control.

He's got them under his left side, and he's waiting for them to bring their left leg over, like this:

thetwister02.jpg

In the book, he shows to first step over with your right leg, then hook under with your left. The left leg goes behind the other knee (figure-four), and the right foot goes around the front to grapevine the outside of their foot, for a reverse lockdown. You end up here:

thetwister03.jpg

(Photos from BJJ.com.au.)

That probably doesn't sound too odd, but watching the Twister DVD, I only remember seeing him hook with his bottom leg first. Not his top leg.

Also, before I worked out exactly what the book was trying to show, the way it looked like he was catching their leg lead me to grapevine my legs the wrong way, so that when I did the twister roll, my lockdown would come off. I kept trying to make the way he showed work (hooking with my top leg, then bottom leg, then figure four, then grapevine) but I kept losing the move while I spent my time switching my legs around. I eventually gave up on that and went with the simpler way (hooking with my bottom leg, figure four and grapevine) and enjoyed more success.

Someone can correct me if I'm remembering the book wrong (I lent mine to a friend so I can't check) but I couldn't figure out why he showed to catch the leg the way he does, other than it possibly serving to "feed" the other leg in.

Thanks for the review, I will pick up the book on the internet.

I am reading this book right now and find most of his moves very unorthodox but useful. Hopefully this will enhance my ground game.

I recommend this book to everyone.

Ive got the book - Its great - The moves are pretty well explained and are manageable enough to actually get in practice. Top 3 in my BJJ book collection.

I got this book two weeks ago and have started trying to incorporate some of it into my grappling. I found a lot of his half guard stuff to be very useful, as I tend to just work back to guard but have instead really expanded my game from that position now. I was suprised not to see the meat hook mentioned anywhere in the section on rubber guard, but other than that found the section to be very helpful.

Overall I'd have to agree that this book is excellent, but would have preferred it to be longer and some of the moves are'nt covered in enough detail to make all the steps completely clear.

I love this book. Best BJJ book on the market without a doubt.

Last night I got a gogoplata, a locoplata, old school and a twister. So you could say this book has affected my game.

I'm reletively new to BJJ and MMA and when I saw it at boarders, I'm like "Who the fuck is Eddie Bravo??? His last name isn't Gracie!! How can he write a BJJ book?!" Well it just happens to be at my local Library, and I checked it out. Was a pretty good book, and it's definitely going to be added to my shopping list. I just wanna wait to my BJJ progresses more.

Flounder said:
I'm reletively new to BJJ and MMA and when I saw it at boarders, I'm like "Who the fuck is Eddie Bravo??? His last name isn't Gracie!! How can he write a BJJ book?!" Well it just happens to be at my local Library, and I checked it out. Was a pretty good book, and it's definitely going to be added to my shopping list. I just wanna wait to my BJJ progresses more.

He is a JJ Machado (Gracie Cousin) Black Belt, known for half guard and unorthodox techniques. His claim to fame is beating Royler Gracie in ADCC a couple of years ago. He also gets a lot of shit for throwing away his gi and only doing/teaching no-gi.

Nah, I know that shit now. I read it in the book after I checked it out at the library. That was just my response the first time I saw the book at Boarders.

Ive been catching a lot of people by surprise with the underpass.

After reading the book after a couple of weeks and looking at older instructionals, especially half-guard ones, EB's stuff didn't seem so great.

So, bottom line, is someone like me who is just starting out and only training once a week going to be able to pick anything up from this book? Or, better yet, are there certain things in the book you would recommend I concentrate on for now while I am still getting the basics down?

I actually bought it yesterday and just started reading it, but before I get too far into it I would like to know what to expect/lookout for.

bro you dont want to start using the rubber guard and those techniques just starting out. It will make your main game sloppy. You need to get better at the basics first. If you are a fast learner like I am, wait a couple of months before you try to start practicing anything from there

SoxCalGrappler said:
bro you dont want to start using the rubber guard and those techniques just starting out. It will make your main game sloppy. You need to get better at the basics first. If you are a fast learner like I am, wait a couple of months before you try to start practicing anything from there

the half guard game u can learn from it can be good even for beginners

This book helped alot with my half-guard game, and the first time I choked someone with a locoplata, I knew I'd made a great purchase.

Back