Yet Another Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed Review

SoxCalGrappler said:
bro you dont want to start using the rubber guard and those techniques just starting out. It will make your main game sloppy. You need to get better at the basics first. If you are a fast learner like I am, wait a couple of months before you try to start practicing anything from there

Yeah, the thing is, the training I am getting right now is really slow. Not to say anything bad about the instructor, he is awesome, its just that I can only make it to 1 class a week which only lasts for an hour and half. Basically it consists of a slow roll, 3-4 basic techniques, then all out rolling for the rest of the time. I was looking for something that could help supplement (or even speed up) my learning. I figured the half guard work was somthing that I could pick up on fairly quickly so I decided to go ahead and buy the book.

Really I am just mainly interested in what any other begginers that have bought this book found useful right away in their experiences and what they found should probably be put aside until one is more practiced.

jakethasnake said:
Note: This Thread Is From Dec 2005

Yeah, it was (believe it or not) the only thing that came up in a "JJ Unleashed" search. Everything else that came up was for the rubber guard, which I am really not ready for yet :redface: .

mastering the rubber guard is a far superior book, although it only includes the bottom game

Aesopian said:
Last night I got a gogoplata, a locoplata, old school and a twister. So you could say this book has affected my game.
Definitely helped me game, too, especially no gi, but a lot of the stuff is easily usable with gi, even the rubber guard. It lets you break your opponent down and keep them there while giving your hands a rest. Been using grips a lot lately, and boy do me figures get tired after a while. However, His Mastering the Rubber Guard book, imo, is easier to follow, and with the color pics, I think it's a lot easier to discern who's limb is whose. The descriptions are a little more in depth, too, I believe. Still, I have been using Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed for quite some time, and the qualitly of that book made me want to order the follow-up as soon as it came out. Hopefully the DVDs are just as good.

Back