Yelp chick writes bad review about Yelp and gets fired.

that's life. san francisco isn't any different to working and commuting to manhattan, or chicago, or any other metropolitan city. in-demand locations are expensive and scarce. there are only so many living spaces, and only so many high-paying jobs. someone is going to be left out. it's just the way it is.

That's not really any insight though. Letting people know that a service they use regularly on the web is as flagrant in its disregard for employee well being as a McDonald's or WalMart is news, it illuminates something that we are otherwise comfortable in ignoring. Your captain obvious response is a bit useless, don't you think?

or get a place with roomates to save money like i did when i left my parents house and moved away.
ya, i wasn't affording my own place in Pacific Beach after graduating from SDSU. it's called roommates, a new invention a few thousand years ago, apparently she's new

That's not really any insight though. Letting people know that a service they use regularly on the web is as flagrant in its disregard for employee well being as a McDonald's or WalMart is news, it illuminates something that we are otherwise comfortable in ignoring. Your captain obvious response is a bit useless, don't you think?

it wasn't meant to be insightful. this entire thread began because a woman was complaining that she couldn't afford to live in san francisco. strangely, some people are defending her and claiming that it's unfair that she can't afford to both work and live in san francisco. so i had to state the obvious, because for some it apparently isn't obvious.

people are paid based on their skillset. it has nothing to do with, "a living wage". even a minimum wage isn't meant to be enough for someone to have an apartment, a car, and a credit card lol. you seem like the kind of person that wants to tax the rich simply because they're rich. or in this case, to pay employees more than they're worth, based on the market. they don't owe others any more than anyone who isn't rich does.

ya, i wasn't affording my own place in Pacific Beach after graduating from SDSU. it's called roommates, a new invention a few thousand years ago, apparently she's new

i did the roommate thing for a long time. it was okay at first, but i began to hate it. and you know what? i decided to upgrade my skillset in order to work at a higher-paying job, and was able to afford my own apartment. i wish certain people would understand that you can't always have everything you want at the outset. some goals take a lot of work in order to reach.

I just want to point out that this employee also had full healthcare along with meals provided at work so It's definitely a step up from McDonald's and Walmart.

it wasn't meant to be insightful. this entire thread began because a woman was complaining that she couldn't afford to live in san francisco. strangely, some people are defending her and claiming that it's unfair that she can't afford to both work and live in san francisco. so i had to state the obvious, because for some it apparently isn't obvious.

people are paid based on their skillset. it has nothing to do with, "a living wage". even a minimum wage isn't meant to be enough for someone to have an apartment, a car, and a credit card lol. you seem like the kind of person that wants to tax the rich simply because they're rich. or in this case, to pay employees more than they're worth, based on the market. they don't owe others any more than anyone who isn't rich does.

The takeaway from her article, for me anyway, was less about what is fair than about what is common knowledge. There's plenty of popular complaint against brick and mortar businesses for their wage policies, but web companies are shielded by the impersonal interface. I've never stopped to think about the cost of most of the "free" services I use, and this is valuable for the insight into a largely opaque industry.

Don't know where you're getting these ideas about my stance on taxation, seems like fantasy on your part. No harm in it, but coupled with this reactionary impulse to retreat back into tough-shit axiom enforcement when you read an article like this, just makes you seem closed off and small
Minded.

Freedom of speech doesn't make you free of the consequences. I say that in every thread when tards get fired for being racist/sexist/stupid.

Check the rest of her Twitter. She's the type of person that didn't do much with her life and doesn't know how to advance her career.

I was gonna rip this little millennial princess for being an entitled little baby, but this Stephanie chick did a better job than I ever could. Just unreal, the mindset this girl and so many others of her generation have. She moves to such an expensive ass city for a shitty paying job (with great benefits apparently) and now she's whining about it, like somebody forced her to do it. And after getting shitcanned she's gonna beg for money. No dignity at all.

since we are on the subject, how fucking ridiculous is san Francisco housing costs? I mean I live in socal where its bad but we don't even compare to sanfran. Its by far the most expensive city to live in in America according to average housing costs where you need a mill to get something good. But I just went to Zillow right now and typed in all houses for sale any time for 600k or less. And 2 popped up (not including auctions that start under 600k since auctions usually start low) and exactly 2 houses are currently available in the city of san fran for 600k or less. One of them is a 660 sqft 2 bed 1 bath for 560k that looks like whoever buys it needs to bring their own bulldozer and the other one is a 860 sqft 2 bed 1 bath for 599k that actually includes the description "property is tenant occupied and being sold subject to tenant rights. Do not disturb occupants"...lol. San fran you crazy. every job gotta start at like 100k to get people to move there. Amazing fucking city though, best in the state of cali if you ask me. 10/10 would visit again

Wow only $1200/month?? My tenants pay more than that for West Hartford, CT.

since we are on the subject, how fucking ridiculous is san Francisco housing costs? I mean I live in socal where its bad but we don't even compare to sanfran. Its by far the most expensive city to live in in America according to average housing costs where you need a mill to get something good. But I just went to Zillow right now and typed in all houses for sale any time for 600k or less. And 2 popped up (not including auctions that start under 600k since auctions usually start low) and exactly 2 houses are currently available in the city of san fran for 600k or less. One of them is a 660 sqft 2 bed 1 bath for 560k that looks like whoever buys it needs to bring their own bulldozer and the other one is a 860 sqft 2 bed 1 bath for 599k that actually includes the description "property is tenant occupied and being sold subject to tenant rights. Do not disturb occupants"...lol. San fran you crazy. every job gotta start at like 100k to get people to move there. Amazing fucking city though, best in the state of cali if you ask me. 10/10 would visit again

I liked this post because at the beginning you identified the issue, then at the end, you identified why the issue exists. Real estate 100 Brosephine.

yeah, it is incredibly expensive. and it's not going to change anytime soon. the smart money is to move in one of the up-and-coming areas around the lake merritt area in oakland, or somewhere affordable, if you can find it, in berkeley. one's best chance at not being far from the city and having decent housing, is finding a place that is close to bart or caltrain. it may not be in san francisco, but you're not far away from accessing the city if you're close to public transport. driving in san francisco is a bitch. i hate doing it.

a lot of folks commute from thirty miles away to work here. lots of people take the local metro train called caltrain or drive in from san jose, as an example, to work here. being inconvenienced is a part of life.

From what I remember, it seemed like before the housing crash a lot of people actually lived off the equity in there house. Buy house, run up credit paying mortgage and living, refinance, rinse repeat.

Back