Yelp chick writes bad review about Yelp and gets fired.

this person is a moron. not every job in san francisco will allow you to live in san francisco. it's one of the most expensive areas in the country. she could more than likely have all those things she wanted, if she lived somewhere in the more affordable east bay. lol @ demanding that she have her own apartment, car, and credit card. she isn't entitled to anything. commute in to san francisco, and stop crying about not having some fancy apartment in san francisco.

It's a tough situation. If Yelp is going to pay those type of wages who do they expect to attract for those positions? 16 year olds living at home still? They won't have that educated 25 year old with a degree. If they want those positions in SF, I feel they have a responsibility to pay a livable wage, especially if they expect college grads in those positions (it's not like they can't afford it).

I honestly think the increase in wage gap since the mid-1950 to now has a huge connection to the increase in divorce rates (wut you say!?). Back then a family could get by with the man working and the wife at home raising the kids. Think about it, this chicks options were to live single and practically starve, take another job and work herself into the ground, or either move in with a boyfriend (or roommate). Lets say she moves in with a boyfriend, they hitch, a few years later they realize they didn't really love each other, but did it out of necessity, so they split. I've seen it with a few chicks that I grew up with.

This girl stood up and fought what she believed was a fair (livable) wage, and got canned for it. She probably didn't do it in the best way, but somebody getting paid that wage is kind of criminal if they are hiring college grads. The girl responding to her -- I see that as just the poor fighting the poor -- a race to the bottom. Commendable that she busted her ass off and was able to make 50k-60k+ on a restaurant job, but lets not pretend that everyone can go out and get a restaurant job hostessing and bartending and make 60k a year, or everyone would be doing that. Obviously she was in the right place at the right time to get those kind of breaks.

im just baffled at how anyone could take a job that brings home 1500$ a month while renting out a place that costs 1200$ a month. Like does she not understand math? What did she think was going to happen? She could argue the wages aspect all she wants but as soon as she brings up the fact there is not enough free food and full health coverage she recieves comes with a 20$ co pay, she lost a lot of credibility with me there.

im just baffled at how anyone could take a job that brings home 1500$ a month while renting out a place that costs 1200$ a month. Like does she not understand math? What did she think was going to happen? She could argue the wages aspect all she wants but as soon as she brings up the fact there is not enough free food and full health coverage she recieves comes with a 20$ co pay, she lost a lot of credibility with me there.

She said she took a place 30 miles away because that was the cheapest there was.

I mean the only options are quit and look for something else, or move somewhere else in the country.

It's a tough situation. If Yelp is going to pay those type of wages who do they expect to attract for those positions? 16 year olds living at home still? They won't have that educated 25 year old with a degree. If they want those positions in SF, I feel they have a responsibility to pay a livable wage, especially if they expect college grads in those positions (it's not like they can't afford it).

I honestly think the increase in wage gap since the mid-1950 to now has a huge connection to the increase in divorce rates (wut you say!?). Back then a family could get by with the man working and the wife at home raising the kids. Think about it, this chicks options were to live single and practically starve, take another job and work herself into the ground, or either move in with a boyfriend (or roommate). Lets say she moves in with a boyfriend, they hitch, a few years later they realize they didn't really love each other, but did it out of necessity, so they split. I've seen it with a few chicks that I grew up with.

This girl stood up and fought what she believed was a fair (livable) wage, and got canned for it. She probably didn't do it in the best way, but somebody getting paid that wage is kind of criminal if they are hiring college grads. The girl responding to her -- I see that as just the poor fighting the poor -- a race to the bottom. Commendable that she busted her ass off and was able to make 50k-60k+ on a restaurant job, but lets not pretend that everyone can go out and get a restaurant job hostessing and bartending and make 60k a year, or everyone would be doing that. Obviously she was in the right place at the right time to get those kind of breaks.

i didnt see anything in her open letter that suggested yelp is looking for college graduates or that they were the norm. If someone really wanted to work for them and saw this entry level position as a means to an end of moving up or getting experience for their resume, then why not view this position similar to going to college where you go to achieve the same basic thing except you dont get paid anything or get health coverage. Seriously, take out loans or get help from your parents if you can, to make it through the first year of working for yelp to pave the way for you. I know people who have interned for free becasue they thought it was good experience to get into a certain field. This yelp spot doesnt seem so bad compared to that. And if you dont think its going to lead to much, then why even be there?

She said she took a place 30 miles away because that was the cheapest there was.

I mean the only options are quit and look for something else, or move somewhere else in the country.

or get a place with roomates to save money like i did when i left my parents house and moved away.

You don't have a right to complain about your wage at Yelp when you decide to live in San Francisco.

The lady in the responding letter is Gen Y, not Gen X; and Madonna is a Baby Boomer.

If the Yelp lady did the math she would have discovered she probably shouldn't have taken that job in the first place.

Sure, this Yelp chick, was kind of entitled. And sucks at math. Nevertheless we can´t deny there are a lot of companies that love to put a wonderful picture of them out there, when in reality it´s simply not true. I see this happening everywhere, owners (no, not the managers) trying to spare money in every conceivable way, making the employees work faster and demanding them to be available all the time. And, of course, for the same amount of money.
Unfortunately, most of people will put up with almost everything. It´s only the minority that will speak up and not go along with every kind of bullshit.

Sounds like Yelp did her a favour. Now that job is open to someone who would find the wage attractive for their lifestyle.

Capitalism at work IMO.

are you arguing that jobs in san francisco should pay enough in order to live there? if so, that is insane logic. there are nowhere near enough residences in the city for people who work there to live in, even if they did have enough money. tons of folks commute in, which is what this person should be considering. imagine someone working at 7-eleven demanding that they make enough money to live in s.f. lol. any city that will always be in high-demand when it comes to wanting to live there will always be incredibly expensive. it's an international tourist city. it's always going to be way expensive to live there. hell, i was incredibly lucky to find an apartment when i did here, more than eight years ago. and it's even more difficult now. it's not only being able to afford to live here. it's about trying to find a place in the first place.

a lot of folks commute from thirty miles away to work here. lots of people take the local metro train called caltrain or drive in from san jose, as an example, to work here. being inconvenienced is a part of life.

are you arguing that jobs in san francisco should pay enough in order to live there? if so, that is insane logic. there are nowhere near enough residences in the city for people who work there to live in, even if they did have enough money. tons of folks commute in, which is what this person should be considering. imagine someone working at 7-eleven demanding that they make enough money to live in s.f. lol. any city that will always be in high-demand when it comes to wanting to live there will always be incredibly expensive. it's an international tourist city. it's always going to be way expensive to live there. hell, i was incredibly lucky to find an apartment when i did here, more than eight years ago. and it's even more difficult now. it's not only being able to afford to live here. it's about trying to find a place in the first place.

I've heard the SF is even more of anomaly when it comes to housing prices because of this huge "Not In MY Backyard" mindset when it comes to high density city housing developments.

I don't think its possible to pay everybody enough to live in a high demand city, but if you don't pay enough to live anywhere near the office (40 miles outside the city is a long way to go for any job, let alone one that pays shit), you won't be able to retain quality employees. The fact that they are relocating these roles to cheaper areas is a better indicator of their failed headcount allocation than this lady's letter.

I've heard the SF is even more of anomaly when it comes to housing prices because of this huge "Not In MY Backyard" mindset when it comes to high density city housing developments.

this is very true. a lot of areas in this city are not built-up, because the folks who already live here want to retain open spaces. it's one of those, "well i made it, so fuck everyone else" mentalities that is taking hold. also, there are a lot of people here who are EXTREMELY lucky to have rent-control. these are folks who moved in the sixties and seventies who have lived in their apartment forever, and are paying one-quarter of what their neighbors are paying. if they had to pay the same amount of rent as those folks, they'd be out on the street.

this city is not the norm. it sometimes sickens me when i hear these people complain about their precious neighborhood being overcrowded. it's easy to bitch and complain when you have an incredibly lucky living situation.

I don't think its possible to pay everybody enough to live in a high demand city, but if you don't pay enough to live anywhere near the office (40 miles outside the city is a long way to go for any job, let alone one that pays shit), you won't be able to retain quality employees. The fact that they are relocating these roles to cheaper areas is a better indicator of their failed headcount allocation than this lady's letter.

that's life. san francisco isn't any different to working and commuting to manhattan, or chicago, or any other metropolitan city. in-demand locations are expensive and scarce. there are only so many living spaces, and only so many high-paying jobs. someone is going to be left out. it's just the way it is.

Back