• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WW2 plane that could replace A-10 Warthog

World War 2 is my favorite type of game.....No stupid missiles, nothing too OP, just pure aiming skill.

Battlefield 1 seem so retarded tho, World War 1 was no way near that fast paced lol.

Sure WW2 had a lot of bolt action guns, but it's somewhat more believable than battlefield 1.

I hope with COD WW2 coming out, it sells amazing and encourages dice to make Battlefield 1944 or something like that.....Hopefully they give us the option of using submarines/aircraft carries/battleships again.

It's mostly fast paced in the trenches. If you're not fighting close quarters the bolt actions going to tear your ass apart.

Pretty cool seeing this program progressing. We still need a true A-10 replacement, but these light aircraft are perfect for troop support at the moment, and can be kept and deployed in the field. I wonder of the Boeing and Embraer deal goes through, if Boeing will get the rights to these as well.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...oa-x-a-10-possible-replacement-dirt-airstrip/

The A-10 Warthog has to fight in some dusty, dirty places, and its successor will need to do the same. The U.S. Air Force knows its partial replacement for the A-10 might someday have to operate from dirt airstrips, and so USAF just flew two of them, the A-29 Super Tucano and the AT-6 Wolverine, from a dirt air strip in New Mexico.

The test comes in startling contrast to the stealthy, sleek image the Air Force often projects. It's also a reminder that future wars will take place in dirty places.

These landing and takeoff demonstrations were flown at Melrose Air Force Range training area, part of Cannon Air Force Base in New Mexico. Cannon has played host to the OA-X(observation attack) experimental aircraft trials. The OA-X program is designed to test four aircraft: the Sierra Nevada A-29, Hawker Beechcraft AT-6 Wolverine, Textron Scorpion, and Air Tractor AT-802U. The winning plane will replace the A-10 Warthog in wars like those against the Taliban and Islamic State where threat of enemy air defenses is low but the need for an airborne close air support plane still exists. The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is expected to take on the close air support role against high-tech enemies such as Russia and China.

The Air Force can’t count on first-class airstrips in much of the world, particularly in less developed countries. A light attack plane may need to take off and land from a dirt landing strip, perhaps supported by a tent doubling as an air traffic control tower and earthen bunkers stacked with guided munitions. That might be as fancy as it gets, particularly in the opening stages of a conflict.

The OA-X competition officially ended on August 30, 2017. The Air Force will use the data collected to choose one of the four planes. The service plans to buy up to 300 OA-X aircraft.

Last edited:
After reading about the Super Tucano, I'm wondering if a P47 with modern avionics would be the perfect plane for the same job ?

Cool thread, I did not see this before. Thanks for bumping.

For what it is worth CAS related friendly fire happened several times at the onset of OEF, our CAS procedures were deficient. Our CAS procedures now are definitely much improved because things like that happened. But as we have seen, things still go wrong, and especially when you're in a fight, things are hectic, miscommunications occur. Like the article exacerbates though, B-1's, F-18, and other high flying air are working solely on PODs. Which are absolutely amazing, but their overall situational awareness of the ground is reduced.

There are some techniques now in favor like stacking, and passing that stack from a ground controller to an air controller. For instance, if you have a UAV, AC-130, and B-1 in the stack, you can pass control the AC-130, so as air checks in and out, their ground update is passed by the 130, because it is likely on station the longest, and their SA in the 130 is nothing short of a modern miracle. The A-29 could easily slide into this role, even if it goes winchester - out of ordnance, the A-29 can hang around and do some control. Which is crucial when you're controlling, moving, shooting, as the guy on the ground. The A-29 CAS specific type of aircraft it is really designed to save your ass. Not this jack of all trades thought process. The high flyers and fast movers have their definite place. But right now we are lacking that awesome CAS fixed wing asset. Save AC-130's & AH-64, both are amazing.

I see a great role for this aircraft or at least this type of turboprop. The fact that you can establish a small forward base, and bring in attack aviation is very intriguing. We as teams already launch various UAVs some capable of carrying munitions but most not. Having CAS support co-located or much closer, would be huge. Imagine in Niger recently, an SFODA was ambushed, if a prop plane could have gotten in the air that was closer to the teams, potentially they could have provided some help. Any air support in Africa is pre-coordinated or really nonexistent.

I see the A-29 fulfilling a pretty solid role - I'll say it - even over the A-10. For this specific type of fight. Hope it continues.

Back