WTH Gleison Tibau?

Yep, I made this same thread after Tibau's bout was announced. However, at Cowboy is about to have his 17th or 18th fight in the UFC. At his pace, he will probably be the #1 within a few years.

Agreed, probably by the tail end of 2016 lol.

been a fan for a while now, super surprised to c him in there still, with that record he could have a pretty successful gym or whatever he decides to do post UFC.

The thing is Tibau is I know he's been around forever but I honestly don't care to watch his fights. I don't find him interesting. I find that his main skill is the ability to cut a HUGE amount of weight and appear to be like 190 pounds on fight day as a LW and use that size to control the smaller guy.
But that's just me.

u6YtOnN.png

For top fighters, its mostly about wins and losses. For mid-level gatekeepers, there are other factors that come into play. These include professionalism, stepping in on short notice, not taking every opportunity to complain, etc. You can't really say he deserves to be cut based on wins and losses, but not being cut probably has more to do with these other factors in his case.

If that were true Papy Abedi, Cheick Kongo, Melvin Guillard and many more fighters would probably still be in the UFC if Dana was so in love with their physiques.

To be fair to my point, it took the UFC for.fucking.ever to cut Melvin. By the time of his cut, he had won just two of his past seven fights and just three of his past ten. And Kongo was a worse fighter and more of a career gatekeeper than Shields, but they kept him on until he was well past his already-mediocre prime years. They also kept Papy Abedy for two more fights (a split decision win and a loss) after he lost to James Fuckin' Head.

Meanwhile, they cut Cody McKenzie because he lost to Mendes and Stout, even though he beat a guy in between. As everyone knows, they cut Shields after the one loss to Lombard even though he was coming off of wins vs. Maia and Woodley. So yeah, I think you're making my point for me.

To be fair to my point, it took the UFC for.fucking.ever to cut Melvin. By the time of his cut, he had won just two of his past seven fights and just three of his past ten. And Kongo was a worse fighter and more of a career gatekeeper than Shields, but they kept him on until he was well past his already-mediocre prime years. They also kept Papy Abedy for two more fights (a split decision win and a loss) after he lost to James Fuckin' Head.

Meanwhile, they cut Cody McKenzie because he lost to Mendes and Stout, even though he beat a guy in between. As everyone knows, they cut Shields after the one loss to Lombard even though he was coming off of wins vs. Maia and Woodley. So yeah, I think you're making my point for me.

And another thing to consider about Kongo is that they wanted him to stay. The reason he ended up leaving was because of a contract dispute not simply being cut.

He's a monster. Will never get the gold, but he is and have been UFC level for almost a decade.

Its crazy to think that he has beat Rafael Dos Anjos and almost beat Khabib (I remember when the fight was over, sherdog was splitted on who had won that fight)

No matter how mediocre Tibau is compared to the rest in his division. He always brings his A game. Sometimes he comes up short sometimes he topples the competition but he shuts his mouth and waits for the next fight. Doesn't bitch is key.

One of the things that helps him is low expectations.
Let me explain, he's never been close to a title shot or even hyped to any substantial level.
No one has ever been so "high" on him so when he loses to mid to top level fighters it's really a non-issue with most fans.
He's a pretty steady commodity in that he doesn't get injured and usually performs at or about the same level consistently.

Dana is desperate for somebody, anybody to break Tito's record.

LOL I just pictured Dana checking this stat as if he has it framed on his wall. He sees Tito's name at the top and sighs.

TS do you actually think he is boring or did you just skim the FF and see a lot of decisions? Coupled with the fact that he lacks some form of character appeal, I can see why you would have minimal interest in his fights, thus writing them off as "boring".

But actually, just on the merits of watching him fight other people, whether he's winning or losing, he has been in a lot of pretty fucking cool fights.

this^^^^^^

He's a cheap fighter for the UFC to keep.

Back