WTH Gleison Tibau?

Dana loves fighters with good physiques. He thinks they add legitimacy to the sport, especially if they aren't pasty white dudes.

He works hard, shows up everytime, makes weight and is pretty good.

The fact that he's not cut is good precedent, divisions definitely need guys like him.

Dana loves fighters with good physiques. He thinks they add legitimacy to the sport, especially if they aren't pasty white dudes.

The other thing is that... well... He does add a ton of legitimacy to the sport. Or at least the org. The Ultimate Fighting Championship. The champions' league. If you are good enough to fight other champions, you're in. Tibau is obviously there because he is good enough to be, not for his drawing power or any shit like that.

He's a tough guy and very professional. He's a solid gatekeeper and very good wrestler..

He works hard, shows up everytime, makes weight and is pretty good.

The fact that he's not cut is good precedent, divisions definitely need guys like him.

Agree completely. The epitome of a company man.

I kind of feel bad that his destiny seems to be as a measuring stick for guys like Parke.

Well, he probably has the most awkward name of the UFC at least: Janigleison Herculano Alves.

Still, he's a solid well rounded fighter, which deserves the spot he is.

If that were true Papy Abedi, Cheick Kongo, Melvin Guillard and many more fighters would probably still be in the UFC if Dana was so in love with their physiques.

If that were true Papy Abedi, Cheick Kongo, Melvin Guillard and many more fighters would probably still be in the UFC if Dana was so in love with their physiques.

Haha I forgot about Papy, he had a lot of hype for a while there.

I've been wondering this for a long time lol. I can't stand the guy personally and hate watching him fight and hope he gets cut soon. I mean I hate wishing bad things upon people but in my opinion he's not doing his job (entertaining me) so he deserves to be cut.

Yep, I made this same thread after Tibau's bout was announced. However, at Cowboy is about to have his 17th or 18th fight in the UFC. At his pace, he will probably be the #1 within a few years.

He's only lost 2 fights in a row once in the UFC and that was 7 years ago.

That's actually pretty amazing.

why do people hate on tibau! if had a worse record but was popular because he spoke like a pro wrestler people would ignore his record

Tibau is a solid LW. He rarely get finished and he's been on the end of some bad decisions.

Hate away! WAR TIBAU

That's what I'm saying. Tibau is fuckin dank in the bank.

Tibau is underappreciated. Most think he beat Khabib and he handled RDA.

Where does he rank as far as most wins at LW in the UFC? He's gotta be in the top three or four.

Jon Fitch never lost twice in a row while in the UFC, Okami only did once and bounced back with four wins in a row and still got axed, Gerald Harris etc....

I think Gleison's manager probably has a good relationship with somebody really important within the UFC.

Fitch and Okami were legit threats to derail top prospects. They were never going to win the belt but would always hang around the mid top 10. That's a terrible situation for a promoter because who do you have them fight? You don't want them to fight up and coming guys because they might beat them and kill their hype, but if you just feed them borderline top 15 guys they keep beating them, put together a streak, and start calling for a title shot no one wants to watch. Ideally you want anyone ranked ~#7 or higher to be a legit title contender at some point, and neither Fitch nor Okami were going to be anymore.

GT doesn't have that problem. He's never going to contend, and he's also not going to beat legit title contenders. He's a great gatekeeper who puts on decent fights for card filler. He will always have a job until his skill really start to deteriorate.

He's 31 and has been fighting for 16 years, 9 of those were in the UFC, had his MMA debut when he was 15.

It's pretty amazing that he has managed to stay healthy in spite of that and his massive weight cuts.

The weight cutting aspect truly is astounding.

Agree completely. The epitome of a company man.

I kind of feel bad that his destiny seems to be as a measuring stick for guys like Parke.

He's weird in a way that he indeed could have at least draw with Khabib, yet struggles with guys like Dunham or late Varner... And got smoked by Johnson.

He kinda fights to the level of his opponent almost every time.

I never got the Hate.. Tibau is a cool dude.. I have always liked watching him fight.... I would say the opposite.. I am surprised he never got a title shot... if he got the nod against Khabib and Dunham I bet he would have had one.

Back