WTH Gleison Tibau?

Macalpinerules

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So apparently if Gleison Tibau makes it to the octagon on Sunday he will tie Randy Couture for third place with respect to number of UFC bouts. Tibau's 24 bouts will put him behind only Matt Hughes (25) and Tito Ortiz (27). The only thing left to ask is: how the hell did he manage to stick around for so long? This guy has all the flags of a fighter that typically gets cut. He is not exciting, has shown little to no improvement, almost always goes to decisions, can occasionally play spoiler to more exciting fighters, not fan friendly and doesn't speak English etc. But somehow he has managed to stay on for what will be 24 fights and will find himself next to some of the greatest names in UFC history in the record books. So........congratulations Gleison Tibau.......I guess?

http://www.fightmatrix.com/ufc-records/most-bouts/

The consummate gatekeeper. I could actually see Bisping topping that list when all's said and done.

He loses a few and he wins a few... the dude has stepped as a late replacement for this card so the UFC will be thankful.

Plus he is a solid fighter to fill cards and test the new kids.

He probably fights for peanuts. Plus given his physique the UFC probably thinks he can pass for something > than a D-level athlete

He always wins when he's on the verge of being cut.

He's only lost 2 fights in a row once in the UFC and that was 7 years ago.

That's actually pretty amazing.

He's 31 and has been fighting for 16 years, 9 of those were in the UFC, had his MMA debut when he was 15.

It's pretty amazing that he has managed to stay healthy in spite of that and his massive weight cuts.

So apparently if Gleison Tibau makes it to the octagon on Sunday he will tie Randy Couture for third place with respect to number of UFC bouts. Tibau's 24 bouts will put him behind only Matt Hughes (25) and Tito Ortiz (27). The only thing left to ask is: how the hell did he manage to stick around for so long?

Dana is desperate for somebody, anybody to break Tito's record.

Only once has he ever lost two in a row. That's the key.

He probably fights for peanuts. Plus given his physique the UFC probably thinks he can pass for something > than a D-level athlete

He actually gets paid pretty well for not being in the top 10. Here's what he made from his last fight:

Gleison Tibau: $132,000 ($41,000 to show, $41,000 win bonus, $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus).

Has any fighter in UFC history consistently had so little hype for such a long time?

TS do you actually think he is boring or did you just skim the FF and see a lot of decisions? Coupled with the fact that he lacks some form of character appeal, I can see why you would have minimal interest in his fights, thus writing them off as "boring".

But actually, just on the merits of watching him fight other people, whether he's winning or losing, he has been in a lot of pretty fucking cool fights.

Jon Fitch never lost twice in a row while in the UFC, Okami only did once and bounced back with four wins in a row and still got axed, Gerald Harris etc....

I think Gleison's manager probably has a good relationship with somebody really important within the UFC.

This. He always wins when he has to. With his physique and power, when he is in a must win, he can just drag his opponent down, conserve energy and win a boring decision.

Although its pretty crazy to think he made his UFC debut against Nick Diaz at UFC 65.

I've been following this since he hit close to 20 fights

Back