WTF?? Arm coil sweep from guard to double-arm pin/armbar in judo comp-VIDEO

This crap is not taught in BJJ because it IS hokey, once you hook the guys arm with your foot you simply triangle him or sweep. This is stupid, he already has the finish then does a few complex transitions to end up in a spot that is no more advantage, and takes more time.
stupid.
Not to mention, the hardest part of that whole sequence is exposing the elbow so you can reach under with your foot to hook it. Very hard to do on someone experienced.

Last edited:
The full sequence is new to me, but probably not 'new' as nothing truly is.

Similar to the coiled arm, this is a neckcrank

gotchCrankWLegs.jpg

Luther I'll call it "whales vagina" and you can call it "Saint Diego" and we will just agree to disagree.

Train hard, stay safe.:cool:

Oh ok, I changed my mind, I think that move is legit now because I saw Ary Farias do it. :icon_chee

so seeing it done in live competition isn't official, but some guy who's nuts you guys swing from does it as a demo and it's "wow, check out this awesome bjj move!"

:icon_neut

Luther I watched my Jiu-Jitsu coach do the move on a Jiu-Jitsu purple belt. This has nothing to do with the martial artist or art that were applying the move. Nefti who earlier in this thread was talking out of his ass even said he has seen Galvao/Roger do it in a Jiu-Jitsu match.

Get over the fucking Judo/Jiu-Jitsu shit. Nobody says anything on the mat, only on fourms...

i said that chokes are defence to the tozzi pass. Andre and Roger have used cross chokes to tap tozzi when he tried to use his pass. That had nothing to do with the video posted.

so seeing it done in live competition isn't official, but some guy who's nuts you guys swing from does it as a demo and it's "wow, check out this awesome bjj move!"

:icon_neut

yeah, pretty much :wink:

although ary is still a teenager, it's a little early to swing from his nuts as they only dropped very recently

So far all you have said is "because i say so". :S

what amazes me is the judo guys here being so defensive about a low percentage move that probably won't be see in competition when people of similar ability are going against each other 100%. Sometimes a pig in a dress is exactly what it is. A pig in a dress.

Well, yes. That's the way all moves work. You have yet to give me a physiological reason why this move can not be done. Nothing like "An underhook will get in the way" "or the alignment is wrong." The best I can hope for is to bribe Roger Gracie to do the move in comp so the Glenn Beck of the Sherdog forums will be satisfied.

No thanks. Keep believing what you want. People used to tell me (I am not making this up) that brabo's would never work in competition either.

FYI, The escape from the arm coil is VERY difficult, and the entry is simple. The arm is right their, and the perpertarators arm hooks in easily, and sharply. You have never seen the move attempted, yet you still say "no".

I'm not talking out of my ass. I have a feeling that if any of you trash talkers went out and tried it tomorrow and it worked you wouldn't even come back to update this thread. You would just pretend it was just a variation of a BJJ move you saw some guy with a portugese name do.:icon_conf

Well, yes. That's the way all moves work. You have yet to give me a physiological reason why this move can not be done. Nothing like "An underhook will get in the way" "or the alignment is wrong." The best I can hope for is to bribe Roger Gracie to do the move in comp so the Glenn Beck of the Sherdog forums will be satisfied. [/quot

no not all moves only supposedly happen in a gym of a few posters. "A physiological reason why this move can't be done" is a poor argument that does judo because judo, unlik aikido, has throws that work in competition, against people your lvl, going 100%. Heck that's what an aikido guy would say "A physiological reason"? come on. No but why is it that it doesn't happen in the biggest grappling tournaments?

FYI, The escape from the arm coil is VERY difficult, and the entry is simple. The arm is right their, and the perpertarators arm hooks in easily, and sharply. You have never seen the move attempted, yet you still say "no".

I have never seen a green sun, but you say so. thus it exists. Great logic

I'm not talking out of my ass. I have a feeling that if any of you trash talkers went out and tried it tomorrow and it worked you wouldn't even come back to update this thread.
no several posters here (including myself) have asked for technical advice here and responded.

You would just pretend it was just a variation of a BJJ move you saw some guy with a portugese name do.:icon_conf

you seem to know alot about me and what i might or might not do. Hoestly, you are a "judo psycho", only on sherdog i have seen the attitude of judokas so arrogant and abrasive. Maybe it's because you guys are westerners, i do not have a clue. But the fact is, you know i did judo, you also know that i sparred/trained with judokas that most of the sherdog judo army would ever be able to dream of.

Judo, jiu jitsu, wreslting, sambo.... IF a move is a pig in a dress then it's a one in a million flying pig.

I do this move all the time. I'll just take this thread as proof that I'm awesome.

Well, yes. That's the way all moves work. You have yet to give me a physiological reason why this move can not be done. Nothing like "An underhook will get in the way" "or the alignment is wrong." The best I can hope for is to bribe Roger Gracie to do the move in comp so the Glenn Beck of the Sherdog forums will be satisfied. [/quot

no not all moves only supposedly happen in a gym of a few posters. "A physiological reason why this move can't be done" is a poor argument that does judo because judo, unlik aikido, has throws that work in competition, against people your lvl, going 100%. Heck that's what an aikido guy would say "A physiological reason"? come on. No but why is it that it doesn't happen in the biggest grappling tournaments?

I have never seen a green sun, but you say so. thus it exists. Great logic

I'm not talking out of my ass. I have a feeling that if any of you trash talkers went out and tried it tomorrow and it worked you wouldn't even come back to update this thread.
no several posters here (including myself) have asked for technical advice here and responded.

Hoestly, you are a "judo psycho", only on sherdog i have seen the attitude of judokas so arrogant and abrasive. Maybe it's because you guys are westerners, i do not have a clue.

I honestly couldn't understand most of what you wrote, but I will say this.

I never once mentioned Judo. I am not discussing judo moves, I am discussing grappling moves. I rarely even talk about Judo directly. I consider myself a BJJ guy, and as a BJJ guy I am saying that the move is fine.

At this point, I don't care whether you think it's useful or not.

yeah, pretty much :wink:

although ary is still a teenager, it's a little early to swing from his nuts as they only dropped very recently

ok. i lol'd. :icon_chee

but yeah that was a sick move.

Last edited:
Wow, man. All I posted was a great move used in a competition.

I never said it was teh newest standard move.
I never said it was a high-percentage move.
I never said it was something a judoka invented.

Frankly it wouldn't surprise me if the guy on the bottom learned it from a BJJer - who knows? Yet - I would not want to fall into the trap of assuming no judoka has any good ground game.

The truth is that you start by building a solid base of basic techniques and positions. You build on that with variations - but the foundations still need to be there.

Every now and again you learn something low-percentage, because who knows? that low-percentage move might just be higher-percentage for you depending on your own personal style/ability.

Look at Eddie Bravo and his rubber guard. It's definitely higher-percentage for him, he made it work. Or Telles and his turtle guard. It might not suit everyone - but it does open up your eyes to new ideas and possibilities.

The mistake from n00bs is to look at a low-percentage "trick" move and to try to replicate it instead of initially focusing on simple basics.

Am I going to try it tonight at BJJ? Maybe - if the opportunity presents itself while rolling I might see where an attempt leads. Am I going to drill it? No - I have waaay more things to perfect ... I'm not going to waste my time learning this when I could be perfecting half-guard.

But .... in the end, this move worked - in a judo competition - against a judo black belt (in Japan) because it was well-rehearsed tech perfomed against someone who did not expect it and was ill-prepared to defend it. Shoot that down if you wish.

Jean Jacques Machado is an advocate of this move, and very good with it. It's in one of his books. I assume Eddie Bravo picked it up from JJM.

Like somebody mentioned, it's a good counter for a *sloppy* Tozi pass. I had a JJM brown belt try it on me the other day while I was going for the Tozi pass. It keeps you honest, because you can't just leave your elbow open.

There are actually a lot of nasty transitions to this "crucifix" like position that you can do in BJJ. Good stuff.

Back