WTF?? Arm coil sweep from guard to double-arm pin/armbar in judo comp-VIDEO

judogido

Aussie!, Aussie!, Aussie! ...
Reaction score
Seen anything like this before?

direct link: YouTube - Mysterious Newaza

Never seen anything like it. And in judo - no less. And from guard no less! Holy snapping duck sh*t batman...

Last edited:
yea it's one of those hokey "submissions" that you see in youtube.

yea it's one of those hokey "submissions" that you see in youtube.
With hokey, you mean fake, or set-up? I don't believe this is the case.

Or perhaps you mean "hokey" in context of being a one-off, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants scenario where he just ended up getting some weird submission then maybe - but again I doubt it, there seems to be a plan here.

Anyway - very unusual technique. Fantastic to see it come up in a judo competition.

I saw this sweep in a class like 2 weeks ago (where you catch the opponent's arm with your leg, behing his back) but without this awesome finish.

The set up has been around for a while....usually finish it with single wing choke with the collar. I have a set up like this from what I call a side guard. I could either finish with an arm bar or triangle. It is good technique and I am sure other people have done it beside BJJ guys.

Translation : "It's not taught in BJJ class, it's worthless and it sucks."
See, I do judo AND bjj - so i don't give a rats where it came from or who did it - I just appreciate seeing it. But IIRC, nefti isn't that much of a BJJ nuthugger but I have a poor memory for names so I could be wrong - I think I'm just missing the translation of the slang.

Cool sweep, I wonder if he had trained that specific move before or if it was just improvised. Either way it's pretty amazing. Seems very low percentage but very cool.

Cool sweep, I wonder if he had trained that specific move before or if it was just improvised. Either way it's pretty amazing. Seems very low percentage but very cool.

He seemed to pretty systematically be going for...something.

I'm not saying that was it, though. Haha.

Looks like we were watching the same videos.

Been hanging around the old neighborhood have you?

Nothing new and nothing mysterious about it.

I've learned that for the first time a few years ago in a BJJ class, not so much as a technique, but as way to demonstrate poor posture and lazy top game. I've both used and seen used sometimes in sparring against less experienced opponents. I remember a judoka (french?) specialized on ground techniques (newaza) showed it at a seminar just for fun.

See, I do judo AND bjj - so i don't give a rats where it came from or who did it - I just appreciate seeing it. But IIRC, nefti isn't that much of a BJJ nuthugger but I have a poor memory for names so I could be wrong - I think I'm just missing the translation of the slang.

Your kidding right. :icon_lol:

i have used the "coil lock as he calls it" trapping of the foot inside the elbow to either sweep, or to setup the triangle.

I like the title mysterious newaza, I was expecting a spoof haha

Japanese are good at newaza, this is not strange, they always pull things like that "Looks at Ryo Chonan".

Judo is still mainly tachiwaza in competition, newaza ability depends on the teacher.

Translation : "It's not taught in BJJ class, it's worthless and it sucks."

no it means it's a low percentage move that you rarely see. Eddie shows something like this.

Back