WTF are they doing with the HW division??

its very weird to me and I have no clue what "the best matchmaker" in the world is thinking.

Let me start with that strange Cain Werdum rematch. Never understood that and I was glad it fell off.
Rothwell most defibetejy earned himself the obvious title shot but for some reason they gave stipe the rematch (rumored for Brazil). Then alistair resigns and gets to fight his teammate in andrei, who is coming off a loss (or 2?) while alistair just knocked out JDS, making himself a case for a shot after Rothwell.

Alistair should fight STIPE or CAIN in Rotterdam and Rothwell should face Werdum. Andrei should fight Barnett, Derrick Lewis or that French uppercut beast just for the lulz.

As for Cain let's wait and see if he can keep his body together first.

I'm sure we all have better ideas then what the UFC gives us, right?
HWT is just shallow right now

So will they ever actually do a heavyweight version of tuf?

The only reason I am discouraged is because I have seen some local shows where these HW fighters gas out or telegraph their moves too much.

It is their fault. Cain should never have gotten a rematch with Werdum. Fans thought that was crazy.

Especially with Cain being so injury prone. Many even *predicted* he'd get injured again!

That rematch has messed the division up.
How has it messed up the division? If it wasn't cain fighting werdum it would have been stipe at the time. That fight is now happening, it's just 3 months after it would have. Rothwell and JDS, overeem and arlovski etc will all make the picture clearer. The division is pretty thin so it's unlikely there will ever be a queue of contenders lining up like other divisions but that doesn't mean the ufc has messed it up

He was dominant while champ. Relative to the history of the division I think that counts at HW!
He was literally 2-1 as champ, losing in 60 seconds once. That isn't "dominant".
How has it messed up the division? If it wasn't cain fighting werdum it would have been stipe at the time. That fight is now happening, it's just 3 months after it would have. Rothwell and JDS, overeem and arlovski etc will all make the picture clearer. The division is pretty thin so it's unlikely there will ever be a queue of contenders lining up like other divisions but that doesn't mean the ufc has messed it up
If they had given Arlovski the title shot as made the most sense then, the division wouldn't have stupid fights like Reem vs. Andrei and Rothwell vs. JDS now. Those fights make no sense.

Cain didn't deserve a rematch.

If they had given Arlovski the title shot as made the most sense then, the division wouldn't have stupid fights like Reem vs. Andrei and Rothwell vs. JDS now. Those fights make no sense.

Arlovski fighting Reem makes no sense but he should've fought for the title?

Arlovski fighting Reem makes no sense but he should've fought for the title?
Because Andrei got KOed by Stipe while Reem KOed JDS.

This really needs to be pointed out...?

Andrei at the time was clearly the #1 contender, but they gave Cain a moronic rematch. You can't even justify business wise because Andrei is a famous former champ. Not like we're talking about unmarketable Rothwell.

Reem should be fighting Stipe, Cain, or Rothwell for #1 contender. Andrei makes no sense.

We'll never know if he was a dominant champ. He fought bigfoot and jds. Against the latter he also lost. The moment he fought someone else he lost too.
Cain lost to 2 out of 3 of the people he fought while he was champ.

As long as Werdum fights somebody not named Cain, I'm happy.
If Cain beats another fighter for another title shot, that's fine. But at least earn your way back.

He was literally 2-1 as champ, losing in 60 seconds once. That isn't "dominant".

Cain didn't deserve a rematch.
I never said he deserved a rematch. I didn't like it either at the time. But I'll maintain, all it did was delay the title fight by three months. Stipe deserved the shot and got it eventually, just a few months late. There are other fights being made and despite what fans may think, overeem v arlovski is a hell of a fight. You need to realise fights don't have to make sense, it's all about entertainment and bringing in the buys. Since when have rankings guaranteed title shots? Rothwell wouldnt have got the shot at that time anyway and it's no coincidence he's having to fight JDS now.

The fights they have announced are potentially wars, how can they be stupid?! Fuck the rankings.

The UFC has become a popularity contest. You gotta look good and hang out the "in" crowd. Basically the UFC is high school.

From a business stand point, they should've given the shot to Overeem. He is the most marketable and well known. Plus he just knocked out the former champ and the only man to beat Cain until Werdum came along. PLUS Overeem has beaten Werdum somewhat recently.

Everyone has a hard time believing Rothwell is the #1 contender, especially the matchmakers apparently.

Doesn't change the fact that he is.

HW has been up and down forever (unfortunately). I look at HW division as bonus material at this point.
Agreed, the HW division is not a great division. But always has a chance to provide a brutal knockout.

Back