WTF are they doing with the HW division??

Chitaouri

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
its very weird to me and I have no clue what "the best matchmaker" in the world is thinking.

Let me start with that strange Cain Werdum rematch. Never understood that and I was glad it fell off.
Rothwell most defibetejy earned himself the obvious title shot but for some reason they gave stipe the rematch (rumored for Brazil). Then alistair resigns and gets to fight his teammate in andrei, who is coming off a loss (or 2?) while alistair just knocked out JDS, making himself a case for a shot after Rothwell.

Alistair should fight STIPE or CAIN in Rotterdam and Rothwell should face Werdum. Andrei should fight Barnett, Derrick Lewis or that French uppercut beast just for the lulz.

As for Cain let's wait and see if he can keep his body together first.

I'm sure we all have better ideas then what the UFC gives us, right?

They tried to make Brock a thing. Diverticulitis with Cain and Overeem's help said NOPE. They then put all their eggs in one basket and tried hard to make Cain a thing, it was never going to be and they wasted time and money for it. Now the UFC is disheartened and confused with the division.

It's not all the ufcs fault. Cain was the dominant champ then spends the next few years on the shelf, loses on his return then holds it up some more before he recovers for the rematch...then gets injured again.

Alongside that, the division is exciting because it's so unpredictable. That also means the division is hard to plot out.

Rothwell vs Werdum
Stipe vs Reem
AA vs Barnet

Should have been the match ups

Werdum vs. Rothwell
Stipe vs. Reem
Arlovski vs. JDS
Cain Velasquez vs. Josh Barnett
Travis Browneye vs. Mark Hunt (w/win over Frank Mir)

Heavyweight division suffered the day Cain became champ.

I think Stipe or Rothwell deserve the shot so I'm not mad at Werdum vs. Stipe.

As far as Overeem goes.... I don't know if he wanted any of Cain.

Miocic is the next face of the division. If you don't know by now you will when he fights for the title. Its been a long time coming.

Reem and Big Ben are great, but their ceiling isn't as high.

I've completely written off the HW division for a couple years now. Cain has made me lose all hope in the UFC's ability to put their foot down on making fighters actually fight. I like Cain, and he's an amazing fighter, but you simply cannot hold up title fights for as long as he does. There's always an injury with him (which is a common problem for a lot of fighters when they become champ). I don't want to see legitimately injured fighters fight, but there is a limit that cannot be crossed for X amount of times or X amount of total times it has happened. If you cannot keep yourself from getting injured multiple times a year then you shouldn't be in the UFC. It's bad for business and leaves fans frustrated. The amount of fights for the belt in the HW division should have been at least double of what it has been.

It's not all the ufcs fault. Cain was the dominant champ then spends the next few years on the shelf, loses on his return then holds it up some more before he recovers for the rematch...then gets injured again.

Alongside that, the division is exciting because it's so unpredictable. That also means the division is hard to plot out.
We'll never know if he was a dominant champ. He fought bigfoot and jds. Against the latter he also lost. The moment he fought someone else he lost too.

giphy.gif

I'd prefer

Werdum vs Stipe
Overeem vs Cain
JDS vs Rothwell.

Sure Rothwell deserves the Titleshot the most, but deserves got nothing to do with it.

We'll never know if he was a dominant champ. He fought bigfoot and jds. Against the latter he also lost. The moment he fought someone else he lost too.
He was dominant while champ. Relative to the history of the division I think that counts at HW!

Miocic is the next face of the division. If you don't know by now you will when he fights for the title. Its been a long time coming.

Reem and Big Ben are great, but their ceiling isn't as high.

The guy who just got beat up by the corpse of JDS? I think not. Werdum and Cain beat him, Overeems probably a slight favorite, and JDS is a flip.

With Cain injured again, It's just about keeping the fighters busy and filling up cards. You would think that given their win-streaks, relative positions, and fight history that Overeem/Rothwell would have been the obvious fight to make. As it stands now the HW title picture seems to be built entirely around Cain Velasquez, and the UFC brass are intent on keeping it that way. Any possible title eliminators in the coming months have to factor in when Cain will be ready to fight again, and who he will be fighting. They probably want him to avenge his loss to Werdum, but that won't keep him out of the title picture if Werdum ends up losing.

It is possible that they have a timeline for Cain's recovery and have a concrete plan for how they want the division to proceed. Or maybe things are too up in the air to really make any definitive plans. For now though, it is better for the UFC, and the fighters themselves, to stay busy and make some money until the Cain situation is worked out. Both Rothwell and Overeem could easily step in if there is an unplanned injury, so there are at least some options.

It is their fault. Cain should never have gotten a rematch with Werdum. Fans thought that was crazy.

Especially with Cain being so injury prone. Many even *predicted* he'd get injured again!

That rematch has messed the division up.

The guy who just got beat up by the corpse of JDS? I think not. Werdum and Cain beat him, Overeems probably a slight favorite, and JDS is a flip.

Right he's not the future but the guy who got subbed by the ghost of Gonzaga is? Or is it the guy who got ko'd by Travis Browne and Bigfoot.

Literally every single one of these threads boil down to one simple thought "Waah the guy I want to get a title shot isn't so I'm going to hate on other fighters"

HW has been up and down forever (unfortunately). I look at HW division as bonus material at this point.

Right he's not the future but the guy who got subbed by the ghost of Gonzaga is? Or is it the guy who got ko'd by Travis Browne and Bigfoot.

Literally every single one of these threads boil down to one simple thought "Waah the guy I want to get a title shot isn't so I'm going to hate on other fighters"

If by next you mean after Werdum/Cain retire or are too old to be good anymore, than maybe. I thought you meant next as in his time is now since he's getting a title shot.

Back