<

Judo vs wrestling

Wrestler with singlet
Judoka with GI
Pin or submission for victory
Wrestler goes for double leg
Judoka chokes him unconcious

Interesting

Then Trigg pops up a few years later as a Nidan. Does anybody know if he actually competed much in Judo?

Wrestling is for sure a better base for MMA. If you are a great wrestler with awesome sub defense and good stand up you are pretty untouchable. The wrestling lets you dictate where the fight goes. Look at all the great wrestlers in MMA. Couture, Hendo, Lindland, Ortiz, GSP, Kos, Hughes, Shields, Sherk, Kawajiri, Ishida, Melendez, Fitch, Sonnen, Okami, Yamamoto, Rampage, Coleman, Lesnar, Barnett, Trigg, Marquardt, Velasquez, Carwin, Vera, just compare that list of elite guys to the list of elite Judo players and that will answer your question.

Wrestling is for sure a better base for MMA. If you are a great wrestler with awesome sub defense and good stand up you are pretty untouchable. The wrestling lets you dictate where the fight goes. Look at all the great wrestlers in MMA. Couture, Hendo, Lindland, Ortiz, GSP, Kos, Hughes, Shields, Sherk, Kawajiri, Ishida, Melendez, Fitch, Sonnen, Okami, Yamamoto, Rampage, Coleman, Lesnar, Barnett, Trigg, Marquardt, Velasquez, Carwin, Vera, just compare that list of elite guys to the list of elite Judo players and that will answer your question.

Well if you throw 90 red fish in a pond and 15 blue fish....

and the 15 blue fish look pretty ass kickin...especially the p4p.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rTm94LbLNQE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rTm94LbLNQE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Judo vs wrestling

Wrestler with singlet
Judoka with GI
Pin or submission for victory
Wrestler goes for double leg
Judoka chokes him unconcious

Interesting

That is stupid though. That is like saying a boxer vs. a kickboxer in a kickboxing match. You know what I mean? The wrestler has no idea about submissions. 3 months of sub defense and frank trigg pins that guy easy.

My classic at this time would be Hector Lombard vs Josh Koshchek

Or

Akiyama vs Henderson

I can almost guarentee that lombard would be on his back for the majority of the fight (if that's where kos wanted it to be.) Kos will just shoot from the outside, not letting lombard get close enough to clinch.

Kos would easily win the takedown battle, and I'm 100% on that. What about when hughes fought sakurai? He is pretty good at judo and got taken down at will against hughes. Judo players seem to have a harder time defending shots to their legs. Barely anyone shoots in judo.

LOL...love you UrbanSavage. No, its isnt so many times in judo once the throw is performed its over. Thats if you score ippon in comp or doing throw randori. 85% of the throw I have ever done in judo have been with follow-up. You'll know it (ippon) during the loading part, and thats a wrap in very little.

You do have a blue in judo right, not with bjj help I hope. In judo, you will practice everything you can and 35% of that you will see in your judo comp. In wrestling you will practice everything you can and see 65% of that in your wrestling comp.

You make it sound what I saw or seen as backweards and it seems to me a very huge misconception in that judo is a very finite game. I can see that at the lower levels but as the game gets bigger for you so does the danger of different ways to lose. Not so in the other games compared.

It was a while before I learned the switch, sit-thru or sit-out in judo. Alot of our turns were focused on the choke/armbar or turn and we had to choose. I always chose the sub which might be why I was astounded by wrestling turns. Meh. Im pretty wasted, but I think it looks ok.:)

Hmm, good points. Guess I hadn't thought about a lot of it. Trust me, I'm far from praising wrestling over judo for anything, I usually get accused of bashing wrestlers.

Hopefully, we get to see younger guys stepping away from judo and into MMA in the future, guys who are still in their prime. Most wrestlers I talk to have plans to do BJJ or submission wrestling and a lot of them want to do MMA, and that's not always the case when I talked to guys from the local judo school.

I still think that judo and wrestling, at the elite levels of MMA or submission grappling, tends to even out and it's more about how well they rounded out the rest of their game then if it's wrestling or judo they did previously.

I can almost guarentee that lombard would be on his back for the majority of the fight (if that's where kos wanted it to be.) Kos will just shoot from the outside, not letting lombard get close enough to clinch.

Kos would easily win the takedown battle, and I'm 100% on that. What about when hughes fought sakurai? He is pretty good at judo and got taken down at will against hughes. Judo players seem to have a harder time defending shots to their legs. Barely anyone shoots in judo.

Harder time at defending shots than wrestlers only:)

Its a bet then my friend. Ill take Lombard to put Koscheck down.

Right off the bat, yes, a judoka might lose to a shot and then go on to sub the wrestler at this case scenario for the judoka.

After mma training, while the wrestler is working subs, the judoka is learning strikes....you know what I mean.

Send Lombard down to 170lbs, he fought 161 at the Olys full grown. I wonder if it was Jung By Kyong who had 20 mma fights vs Ishida in his 2nd match.

Until more young judoka enter....

That is stupid though. That is like saying a boxer vs. a kickboxer in a kickboxing match. You know what I mean? The wrestler has no idea about submissions. 3 months of sub defense and frank trigg pins that guy easy.

uh, hello? that's the whole damn point of the thread here

well greco roman is essentially judo with no gi or subs. it all depends on what the fighters are wearing

OK, I have thought about this for a while. Who would win the takedown war between karo and GSP? Or Karo and Hughes. It is the wrestlers. Judoka are susceptible to double leg takedowns, and that is a HUGE part of mma takedowns. They might be better in the clinch, but many judoka don't adapt well without the gi.

Call me a judo hater if you want, but I'm a blue belt in judo, and recognize it is GREAT for the clinch, but a quality wrestler is going to be better at takedowns in mma, and they are going to be better at keeping someone down. Wrestlers train without a gi for their whole life, judoka adapt their gi game to no gi. It's a no brainer who will be better.

what is a blue belt in judo?????
white
brown
black

Im pretty sure if anyone has awesome sub defense and good stand up then your on your way to doing pretty well. Another angle to think of... wrestling (no submissions, takedowns, hip control) Judo ( submissions, takedowns, hip control, having to become accustomed to no gi.)

what is ideal is a wrestler/judoka...thats what I am trying to build myself into.
State level amateur wrestler...doing judo for 3+ years

when you get a shot stuffed by a sprawl as you come back up typically your opponents weight will be forward, when this happens i try to throw if i miss the throw simply repeat until one or the other works. Eventually they do.

shoot, thorw...repeat as necessary...sorry there is a shampoo bottle in my periph.

C'mon Gracie Barra.... BIAS????

I don't know enuff of bjj but I am very confident that if you ever meet any wrestler/judoka or any judoka/wrestler in either context then I will most assuredly bet my left testicle that 'they' would say judo better for mma. I've asked a few good ones that think judo is > wrestling for mma.

Any bias would show that a judoka should beat a sub-wrestler at sub-grappling. I have never seen or heard any of that shit.

c'mon Q mystic...judo bias?? :D

well greco roman is essentially judo with no gi or subs. it all depends on what the fighters are wearing

Singles, foot sweeps, leg throws and techniques such as fireman's carry are pretty much what define judo competition. You don't see many of those in greco do you?

and teguruma is pronably the main counter.

As for the list I would of thought that Barnett has as much of a judo background as he does olympic/folkstyle wrestling and that Okami has more of a judo background than he does wrestling.

white
brown
black

judo isn't like bjj where belts are the same everywhere. There are a ton of different federations that have different belt systems. A blue belt is probably equivalent to a really good white belt where you are from.

white
brown
black

Actually depends upon where you live. In Canada and Europe, white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black. And there are 3 grades of brown in the US - sankyu, nikyu, ikkyu, which correspond to green, blue, and brown in Canada.

Who wins probably depends upon what they're wearing. If they're wearing jackets, judo. If they're wearing t-shirts, wrestling. Which means if you're living in Canada where people wear jackets 10 months of the year, judo. If you're living in Florida, where no one has ever heard of jackets, wrestling :icon_chee

The fight would most likly end up on the ground the wrestler would prob get a top position and then it could go both ways the wrestler would most likly ground and pound while the judoka having experience from the back would try for an armbar or triangle .

Now the factor is the fighters and what they will do , the am wrestler might not know any subs but they do know painful neck cranks and body locks , while the judoka has done self defense kata's sometime in his life ( iam ablue belt and i have done them ) so the judoka would have that in his mind .

If its a cage fight i say the wrestler would win by points if its a real street fight i see the judoka winning by choke or armbar .

Actually depends upon where you live. In Canada and Europe, white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black. And there are 3 grades of brown in the US - sankyu, nikyu, ikkyu, which correspond to green, blue, and brown in Canada.

Who wins probably depends upon what they're wearing. If they're wearing jackets, judo. If they're wearing t-shirts, wrestling. Which means if you're living in Canada where people wear jackets 10 months of the year, judo. If you're living in Florida, where no one has ever heard of jackets, wrestling :icon_chee

Nice example

Back