Wrestling and boxing vs thai and bjj help me choose please?

Hey there,

I will share my 2c's here.
First, you are asking this question - Wrestling and boxing vs thai and bjj help me choose please?

Then in your post statement you put want to train for "Self Defense".

Sport orientated Martial Arts or combat sports in other terms to encapsulate Boxing and alike are okay but they are not really street self defense if that is what you would like to spend then next 5 years of your time and money as investment.

A good list of Martial Arts are these here:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_martial_arts

They differ in the approach and application as the ones you quote are generally sport applications where you can not kick to the groin or poke an eye etcetera.

Of course many will say no it isn't but it really is.

Wing Chun and Akido offer some great self defense and if I were you since you state that your are lanky Akido will really suit your body type.

Then do some training in Kickboxing you will gain heaps of knowledge, skill and ensure good conditioning and fitness.

Your choice of course, just my 2c's.
WTF are you talking about!?

Wing Chun and Aikido are just about worthless in a real life self defense situation.

Wing Chun is even more dangerous because it advocates eye pokes and groin shots which will mainly serve to piss someone off if they have any training in a sports oriented Martial art and they are in the least bit decent.

Wing Chun and Aikido are fine if you are interested in LARPing and to get your body moving in an alternative to the conventional gym type situation.

WTF are you talking about!?

Wing Chun and Aikido are just about worthless in a real life self defense situation.

Wing Chun is even more dangerous because it advocates eye pokes and groin shots which will mainly serve to piss someone off if they have any training in a sports oriented Martial art and they are in the least bit decent.

Wing Chun and Aikido are fine if you are interested in LARPing and to get your body moving in an alternative to the conventional gym type situation.

Sadly, you sound very ignorant of what is actual martial arts at all, in reading all your posts.

I told you once before you don't wear gloves and shin pads out in public do you.

Grow up and cut it out!

Self Defense is exactly that and again I'll point out to you its not the systems problem if people are not capable to defend themselves or applying the system.

As much as it is a physical thing, its also a mental ability as well, that needs time and development through drills and practice.

The emotional aspect is way harder to tap into, due to the fact that the human being experiences the emotion of "Fear" that can freeze up a person.

Point is I was not asking your opinion anyway, but offering a different view from what you get around here.

The OP sounds unsure and I'm offering my opinion, no need for your blatant disrespect.

I don't know the OP he might have a legitimate reason for pursuing a Martial Art it could be for fear of attack or it could be work related.

E.g Security Guard..... simply don't know his reason.

A sport orientated Martial Art is insufficient.

Again you don't wear gloves or wrestle on concrete in real life life threatening situations.

You ill advise people when you point them to a Octagon to wear gloves and teach self defense that way.

In reality or a life threatening situation even the simple poke in the eye or spit in the eye or a kick to the groin gives a victim enough time to run and call for help.

Do you even know whats meant by striking the nervous system?

I bet now you will just post jpegs of Chi masters and all the nonsense posting that you and others like you have done across many threads now.

It just proves you are not educated on Martial Arts but just make ridiculing reply post's to start some twisted debate for no good reason, rather than pipe down and learn, sad really but there are many like you online.

Anyway I know where you are intentionally dragging this thread just like you guys did with the "Kata Thread"! :(

MMA does not replace Martial Arts with proper training for self defense, simply will not, ever!

I will say that even for Police officers or someone who needs to learn due to a career choice or other good reason for training in a proper Martial Art / Self Defense counter/defensive physical training.

Your understanding is just yours and I have my own opinion.

As for Youtube thats Youtube videos its not an entire break down on the reality of self defense or Martial Art systems.

Again, I'm only assisting the OP to understand what is self defense or at least to research the idea of if before he commits to something.

Also again unsure if it was for safety or career?

My post still stands and it was for him to say YAY or NAY?

And all would be fine as its up to him to put in the training, as for me heck again, just sharing an opinion and its not wrong or out of scope in relation to the OP post.

Some examples of AKIDO in POLICE MARTIAL ART TRAINING...........

And a good Martial Art demo............ as you can see NO Gloves or Shin Pads or Head Gear etc just raw aggression that as a Police Officer you would face in reality. In the below demo there are many Akido techniques used even though its KRAV MAGA like many Martial arts there are many cross referencing of techniques. Also to add Wing Chun is designed for a Street attack situation as well, and its been highly regarded and well respected through the decades by people who have trained in it, just like Akido.

MMA or Boxing is very different in application not thats its useless but you limit or has limits.

Last edited:
Sadly, you sound very ignorant of what is actual martial arts at all, in reading all your posts.

I told you once before you don't wear gloves and shin pads out in public do you.

Grow up and cut it out!

Self Defense is exactly that and again I'll point out to you its not the systems problem if people are not capable to defend themselves or applying the system.

As much as it is a physical thing, its also a mental ability as well, that needs time and development through drills and practice.

The emotional aspect is way harder to tap into, due to the fact that the human being experiences the emotion of "Fear" that can freeze up a person.

Point is I was not asking your opinion anyway, but offering a different view from what you get around here.

The OP sounds unsure and I'm offering my opinion, no need for your blatant disrespect.

I don't know the OP he might have a legitimate reason for pursuing a Martial Art it could be for fear of attack or it could be work related.

Again you don't wear gloves or wrestle on concrete in real life life threatening situations.

You ill advise people when you point them to a Octagon to wear gloves and teach self defense that way.

In reality or a life threatening situation even the simple poke in the eye or spit in the eye or a kick to the groin gives a victim enough time to run and call for help.

I bet now you will just post jpegs of Chi masters and all the nonsense posting that you and others like you have done across many threads now.

It just proves you are not educated on Martial Arts but just make ridiculing reply post's to start some twisted debate for no good reason, rather than pipe down and learn, sad really but there are many like you online.

Anyway I know where you are intentionally dragging this thread just like you guys did with the "Kata Thread"! :(

MMA does not replace Martial Arts with proper training for self defense, simply will not, ever!

I will say that even for Police officers or someone who needs to learn due to a career choice or other good reason for training in a proper Martial Art / Self Defense counter/defensive physical training.

As for Youtube thats Youtube videos its not an entire break down on the reality of self defense or Martial Art systems.

Again, I'm only assisting the OP to understand what is self defense or at least to research the idea of if before he commits to something.

And all would be fine as its up to him to put in the training, as for me heck again, just sharing an opinion and its not wrong or out of scope in relation to the OP post.

Some examples...........

To be fair saying Boxing and combat sports alike are "okay" but wing chun and aikido are "great" is misleading.

To me some of the most important assets to have in difficult confrontational physical altercations are being mentally tough, physically fit, and being able to generate explosive power on the dot. Based on that I'd bet on a boxer, MMA fighter or even a Kyokushin Karateka to do better in those situations than an aikido or wing chun guy. Someone who competes in full contact environments usually develops traits such as mental toughness and physical fitness which go a long way in those situations.

Of course it also depends massively on the individual.

Grow up and cut it out!

And a good Martial Art demo............ as you can see NO Gloves or Shin Pads or Head Gear etc just raw aggression that as a Police Officer you would face in reality. In the below demo there are many Akido techniques used even though its KRAV MAGA like many Martial arts there are many cross referencing of techniques. Also to add Wing Chun is designed for a Street attack situation as well, and its been highly regarded and well respected through the decades by people who have trained in it, just like Akido.

MMA or Boxing is very different in application not thats its useless but you limit or has limits.

Boxing wrestling combo.

Wrestling because Ginormos like you tend to get taken down easy because you hips are so much higher.

Boxing because anyone who fights you basically has to spam overhands. It’s a damn effective punch if you’re not ready for it.

Edit. I covered defence as basic as possible.

Now your offence: you are six seven over 200lbs. Standard boxing should be enough for you to open a can of ass whip and stomp a mud pie.

Grow up and cut it out!

Look, I have been in various situations where people went for eye pokes and groin shots. On the receiving end, witnessed it as a bystander, and in the group where someone felt inclined to do that to someone else in 'self defense.' It is a very very bad idea! It is a horrible philosophy of self defense because it is based on escalation!!! Self defense should first and foremost be based on methods of de-escalation.

The best thing IMO about aikido is its philosophy of nonviolence which will avoid most situations concerning self defense because it is based around de-escalation principles.

What aikido will not do is prepare someone for a physical altercation according to it's techniques because they will not function against a resisting opponent.

Wing Chun and Kung fu is dangerous mostly in that they have an obsession with poking people in the eyes and kicking people in the groin. The problem with that is for most of the people that learn kung fu they will get their ass handed to them by beginners of wrestling, jui jitsu white belts or anyone scrappy for whatever reason. What happens in real life is the kung fu guy just pisses the other person off by attempting to use dirty fight tactics that backfire and are now in for an ass whooping after escalating the situation to attempted maiming.

When I was with someone that attempted to poke someone in the eyes and kick them in the groin. Me and their opponents friends looked at each other and had to come to a verbal agreement that my friend now deserved to get his ass kicked for doing that but we would break it up if it got past a certain point.

What? I’m saying he should box because most people are gonna spam that punch when fighting someone that tall.

So you mean it's a damn INeffective (the overhand) when you are ready for it?

Copy paste from another thread!

...aka the Kano paradox.

WHAT IS KANO PARADOX - https://shinaido.wordpress.com/2014/08/09/kano-paradox-art-vs-sport/

The difference between ............... "SPORT and MILITARY .... MARTIAL ARTS"!

That's the way I like to express it, but some stubbornly still won't except it..................... I blame the MMA hype train ruining the historical understanding of Martial Arts or TMA's as a much respected art from afar!

But good point on the KANO PARADOX conundrum! ;)

Last edited:
Copy paste from another thread!

WHAT IS KANO PARADOX - https://shinaido.wordpress.com/2014/08/09/kano-paradox-art-vs-sport/

The difference between ............... "SPORT and MILITARY .... MARTIAL ARTS"!

That's the way I like to express it, but some stubbornly still won't except it..................... I blame the MMA hype train ruining the historical understanding of Martial Arts or TMA's as a much respected art from afar!

But good point on the KANO PARADOX conundrum! ;)
man you are on the nuts of very recently invented martial arts their are MUCH MUCH older ones such as wrestling that have proven to work in MMA. In Iran they have found ruins of wrestling gyms built in the same way as those currently used in the modern day from the BC era and in those gyms today there exists uninterrupted cultural traditions that predate Christianity. It was the traditional way they trained their elite warriors for military applications.

For whatever reason you are into martial arts that are only east Asian in origin. Most of which for what ever reason do not work in real life situations either because they are not training them properly or because they never worked in the first place. Their are many martial arts that were banned then transformed such as coperia and Cossack dancing. I think most of kung fu is on the level of copeira and Cossack dancing which were created under a ban on martial arts being openly practiced. Other arts which were allowed to be openly practiced became sporting traditions to remain alive during times of peace. So while the arts that were maintained in sporting traditions were able to remain very close to full on military application the ones you like are many steps removed to the point they don't really work unless it is staged theatre.

Martial Arts for a specific "Career or Personal Self Defense" listen here to this guy.........

Aikidoflow

Published on Feb 24, 2016

Our London Dojo: http://www.aikidoflow.com Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Aikidoflow-4... Twitter: https://twitter.com/AikidoFlow Our website: http://aikidoflow.com Music by: J Halliday

To further add I knew a guy back in the 90's like the OP's body type and height being lanky they called him "John the Bull" he was tall strong upper body big forearms, he trained in Akido and was a Bouncer.

He grabbed many people and would counter by moving aside throwing and and locking them down easily, so Akido is perfect for people like this, it does work however you got to work with local state laws on whats allowed.

A real threatening event is usually not like a sport environment, as people smack into the pavement not canvas LoL

Allot of Bouncers prefer to train in restraint type systems because of legal issues, again emphasis on application.

Night Club Bouncers don't wear ..............Hand Wraps, Boxing Gloves, Shin Pads and Little Shorts LoL .............. you will be shown the door! ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back