Wrestling and boxing vs thai and bjj help me choose please?

I agree about that but what about long-term? You still think boxing is suoerior to Muay Thai for self defence?

Honestly muay thai is better for self defence than boxing. Think of this.

Someone comes at you with a knife (totally hypothetical NOT a real situation more of a potential situation) and you dodge it a little, than he tries to downward diagonally down. And you've trained muay thai enough to be able to close the distance and clinch up with him (again extremely hypothetical). And your able to elbow him in there. You can hit the back of his head with those elbows and trip him, and just keep punching him on the ground.

Thats one way muay thai can help. I know it seems unrealistic a little bit, but it is possible. And extremely hard and you have to be fast.

So really thats one reason how muay thai is better for self defence.

AKIDO in defense application

This stuff is good for security careers or bouncers or police officers to control and avoid the fight.

Someone comes at you with a knife (totally hypothetical NOT a real situation more of a potential situation) and you dodge it a little, than he tries to downward diagonally down. And you've trained muay thai enough to be able to close the distance and clinch up with him (again extremely hypothetical). And your able to elbow him in there. You can hit the back of his head with those elbows and trip him, and just keep punching him on the ground.

Thats one way muay thai can help. I know it seems unrealistic a little bit, but it is possible. And extremely hard and you have to be fast.

LOL!

LARPing can be fun.

Well again your ignorance is not mine, try harder.

Encourage you to look into Martial Art............ "Leverage - Techniques" .......... using hard fast force!

You might be surprised by what you learn, but I'm certain your boxing gloves and shin pads won't get you far LoL<Lmaoo>

On OP topic:- Again for strong upper body lanky body types AKIDO is perfect for careers in Law-enforcement or Personal Protection.

Heck its fun and meeting good groups of people in a good Dojo that is legit and people keep physically fit as well.

The last thing you should do is clinch someone with a knife. A muay thai guy did just that and got stabbed and complained on reddit.. Use your head.

The last thing you should do is clinch someone with a knife. A muay thai guy did just that and got stabbed and complained on reddit.. Use your head.
when someone pulls a knife you should try to talk them down or distract them someway and escape or give them your money.

Worst case scenario you need a weapon with more range than the knife.

like a pipe.[<cena1}

It's a hypothetical scenario and you have to play your cards right. And you shouldn't use a regular clinch you should use the side clinch. Where you trap the arm and the neck.

So it's a really risky scenario but if done right and quick you can beat the attacker.

It's a hypothetical scenario and you have to play your cards right. And you shouldn't use a regular clinch you should use the side clinch. Where you trap the arm and the neck.

So it's a really risky scenario but if done right and quick you can beat the attacker.
I advice to stay the fuck away from the knife rather than close the distance and in my experiences it has worked.

I advice to stay the fuck away from the knife rather than close the distance and in my experiences it has worked.

Well thats how muay thai still is good for self defense, you can kick him in the leg, that is if your fast enough. Or kick him in the head. Really from my experience with disarming my brother recently because he was acting like he was going to stab me. So you need to have arm or hand control and need to make sure he can't slash or swing.

Well thats how muay thai still is good for self defense, you can kick him in the leg, that is if your fast enough. Or kick him in the head. Really from my experience with disarming my brother recently because he was acting like he was going to stab me. So you need to have arm or hand control and need to make sure he can't slash or swing.
In my experience it is best not to fight the guy with a knife unless you have a pole arm.

The guy with knife typically wants something and the best way to approach it is to find out what that is if you are unable to escape otherwise.

Copy paste from another thread!

WHAT IS KANO PARADOX - https://shinaido.wordpress.com/2014/08/09/kano-paradox-art-vs-sport/

The difference between ............... "SPORT and MILITARY .... MARTIAL ARTS"!

That's the way I like to express it, but some stubbornly still won't except it..................... I blame the MMA hype train ruining the historical understanding of Martial Arts or TMA's as a much respected art from afar!

But good point on the KANO PARADOX conundrum! ;)
You keep reposting this but your interpretation of the Kano Paradox is... weird at best, if not plain wrong.

You say it's "The difference between SPORT and MILITARY .... MARTIAL ARTS". Well, no. It's the fact that "safe" techniques practiced at full force are (in the long term) more effective than "deadly" techniques practiced with no resistance, half-assedly.

The proof was in the pudding when "safe" Judo guys (who practiced at full force) started beating "deadly" Jujitsu guys (who did eye pokes, groin shots etc. in slo mo). That's it.

You keep reposting this but your interpretation of the Kano Paradox is... weird at best, if not plain wrong.

You say it's "The difference between SPORT and MILITARY .... MARTIAL ARTS". Well, no. It's the fact that "safe" techniques practiced at full force are (in the long term) more effective than "deadly" techniques practiced with no resistance, half-assedly.

The proof was in the pudding when "safe" Judo guys (who practiced at full force) started beating "deadly" Jujitsu guys (who did eye pokes, groin shots etc. in slo mo). That's it.
keep trying to tell the guy including personal experiences and what not but he refuses to respect the oldest uninterrupted TMA of all time Wrestling because it also practiced as a sport and likely because it originates from the middle east rather than east asia.

keep trying to tell the guy including personal experiences and what not but he refuses to respect the oldest uninterrupted TMA of all time Wrestling because it also practiced as a sport and likely because it originates from the middle east rather than east asia.
Probably never wrestled. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Probably never wrestled. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
idk I think he associates wrestling with sports therefore it is not really martial arts or something. It seems wrapped up in perhaps a misconception of sparring idk. I feel bad for the guys that get caught up in martial arts that don't have a pressure testing training system. I mean when I wrestled I didn't think of it as martial arts either I didn't even think of it as fighting until I realized it worked when people attacked me. I think east Asian martial arts used to have a certain prestige that has been lost to MMA so he's carrying a torch or something.

idk I think he associates wrestling with sports therefore it is not really martial arts or something. It seems wrapped up in perhaps a misconception of sparring idk. I feel bad for the guys that get caught up in martial arts that don't have a pressure testing training system. I mean when I wrestled I didn't think of it as martial arts either I didn't even think of it as fighting until I realized it worked when people attacked me. I think east Asian martial arts used to have a certain prestige that has been lost to MMA so he's carrying a torch or something.
Perhaps, but the whole MMA vs TMA opposition premise is wrong. MMA is a concept, a ruleset and a proving ground. People from TMAs have entered MMA and learned from the experience. No reason to look down on it, no matter how much you love your TMA. Right, @BudoNoah ? ;)

I agree about that but what about long-term? You still think boxing is suoerior to Muay Thai for self defence?

Long-term, both a good boxer and a good MT artist should have no problem defending in benign self defense scenarios as long as shit like getting jumped / knives / etc. are not involved. In such scenarios, usually your background will not help you.

Let's just say that good boxing training is almost always a safe bet, though.

But there is more to it, of course, and such threads systematically assume that a real choice between X and Y can be made and always underestimate factors like :
- which place has the most serious training ?
- which style and place will you actually enjoy more?
- which place will allow you to train more often (commuting/schedule/etc.)?

Lastly, a nuance must be made between real MT and westernised MT (actually K-1 style kickboxing). I think real MT is superior to kickboxing, but good luck finding real, legit MT.

I haven't been in a fight in 20+ years. I used to train BJJ until the aches and pains caught up with me. Now I do Muay Thai for exercise and fun.

If I ever had to defend myself, I'd probably go with a surprise round house kick and run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back