Wrestling and boxing vs thai and bjj help me choose please?

Bjj, and muay thai.

Bjj will teach you ways to handle people who put you in secure chokes or headlocks, plus sometimes they'll teach you to handle people with knives, and teach you to leverage people to the ground or get them on the ground either way.

Muay thai, will teach you the clinch, which bjj will teach you it too. It will teach you to trip people and get them on the ground to use your grappling. And it will teach you to hit elbows in close range and punches in punching range.

I'm focusing on just boxing right now. Since those gyms are mad cheap (all though i hope mma gyms and muay thai gyms get that cheap one day. But unlikely in america). I did do muay thai and boxing for a while and did train at another gym after a year of inactivity in oct (but that gym was mainly bjj, and they didn't really have an instruction striking class it was too good to be true as i said before i joined that gym and i was right).

Anyways good luck and if you have friends who do boxing have them help you with your hands because muay thai is mostly kicks and knee's but depending on the instructor, he'll teach you more kicks than anything.

Wrestling and boxing vs thai and bjj help me choose please?

Noob here, want to train for self defense. Read that these pairs go well together. Which one should I choose? I am 6'7 and 225, and even though I have long limbs, couldnt really call myself lanky. My upper body is stronger than lower. I would guess that my reach would be a bigger plus in thai, and smaller minus in bjj.I have gone on practice sessions in all, and my estimation of my talent/competitiveness is this (could be an illusion):wrestling,boxing,bjj,thai,which is strange. Also,wherever I look, wrestling and boxing seem to be cheaper,and on my thai practice session "coach" tried to teach me kickboxing kick.

Also,its likely that I wont have time in first 6 months to train both,so in general what should I start first,grappling or striking?

Thanks in advance.

BOXING-

Personally, I recommend 5 years of solid Boxing but its up to you to embrace the whole sport of Boxing and learn in and out of the Gym.

Learn about the various types of systems within boxing, all the footwork in other words the theoretical and the application.

Study it, its very deep and allot of fun.

Don't just take the modern aspect but dive deep to the past study the old techniques and training methods used in past so on.

MUAY THAI-

Then Muay Thai that will now prepare your kicking skills and having done Boxing your fitness and conditioning should be established and have good power.

BJJ

Then as a final art get into BJJ for some ground work study.

That the sequence of study I would advise given your above options.

However, why not take something more direct for defense like Wing Chun or KRAV MAGA or similar type not sport orientation martial art.

Have fun learning either way! ;)

I think it would be a good idea to wrestle for like 4 months one or two hours a day 5 days a week to build a good base.

From their split your time between BJJ and either boxing or muay thai.

why not everything.. also good luck finding legit wrestling.. unles s u r in nyc or somewhere huge your not gonna find legit real pure wrestling just go to your mma gym and get a decent base n everything since your doing it for self defense

BOXING-

Personally, I recommend 5 years of solid Boxing but its up to you to embrace the whole sport of Boxing and learn in and out of the Gym.

Learn about the various types of systems within boxing, all the footwork in other words the theoretical and the application.

Study it, its very deep and allot of fun.

Don't just take the modern aspect but dive deep to the past study the old techniques and training methods used in past so on.

MUAY THAI-

Then Muay Thai that will now prepare your kicking skills and having done Boxing your fitness and conditioning should be established and have good power.

BJJ

Then as a final art get into BJJ for some ground work study.

That the sequence of study I would advise given your above options.

However, why not take something more direct for defense like Wing Chun or KRAV MAGA or similar type not sport orientation martial art.

Have fun learning either way! ;)

Your a funny guy.......... Are you that Wing Chun guy? That will die a Wing Chun guy......

The most important quality to have in freestyle fighting is ability in clinch fighting. That is to say, striking, takedowns, and takedown defense, all at once, applying whatever is applicable depending on how you and your opponents relative strengths match up.

Now you might think muay thai would be good for building this quality; however, unless you live in thailand or england, you will be unlikely to find good 'muay thai' gyms with good clinch fighting. If you are not in these areas, then unless you plan on traveling, chances are, gyms you can find that will have better clinch fighting training than other options will so happen to call themselves 'MMA' gyms.

You want wrestling with submissions. Which is to say, you want catch wrestling; however, you will be unlikely to find good catch wrestling gyms unless you plan on traveling, so instead, you look for grappling gyms who's training focuses are essentially isometric with catch wrestling, that just so happen to label themselves under different names.

It really depends on your age, your goals, and gyms in your area.

I say if your young and want to fight professional get the basics first, those would be wrestling and boxing. Look at it like learning how to skate before learning how to play hockey and do tricks.

Your grappling is useless if you can’t take the fight to the ground, also wrestling teaches you an understanding of the human body and how things move. Boxing is an excellent base for striking as you will have the upper hand on people who only practiced Muay Thai especially if it’s tradional Thai boxing which lacks evasiveness, footwork, power punch set ups, creative combos etc.

However...

If your a little bit older and are looking for something to learn for mostly self defence, it would be hard to get into wrestling unless you are in a school that offers it and getting into boxing at a later age may also take a while to master.

So in that case I suggest Muay Thai and BJJ. For one you have long limbs which is perfect for both. I would recommend really focusing on knees as lanky guys in Thailand seem to really have an advantage with their knees. But most importantly it’ll probably be easier to find a gym that offers both as most mma gyms do, while boxing is usually taught exclusively at boxing gyms and wrestling at exclusive wrestling programs.

It also really depends on the gyms in your area, I find that quality instruction beats everything. The above info is objectively assuming that u have high quality instruction for each of the disciplines. However there are many gyms that have great coaches for one art and not the other, I say figure out which boxing, mma gyms, Muay Thai gyms, wrestling programs are in your area and work with your schedule, then try them out and read reviews and pick the one you like most. A bad instructor or students can have you waste your time or quit before you get a chance to really gain some knowledge and skills, in which case it doesn’t matter what it is you chose to take

Last edited:
Boxing and judo

Boxing is fun as hell once you've been into it for a couple years and have the head movement to make non-boxers hit nothing but air.

I've wrestled competitively and done enough bjj and mma to be dangerous to myself... I've never trained judo at a judo place, but...in real life, people wear clothes and self-defense/social violence in the street is often pretty much over once one guy throws the other guy down on the ground. Plus, if there's a Japanese cultural center in your city, sometimes they teach it for free, or at least way cheaper than at a martial arts gym.

Boxing and judo

Boxing is fun as hell once you've been into it for a couple years and have the head movement to make non-boxers hit nothing but air.

I've wrestled competitively and done enough bjj and mma to be dangerous to myself... I've never trained judo at a judo place, but...in real life, people wear clothes and self-defense/social violence in the street is often pretty much over once one guy throws the other guy down on the ground. Plus, if there's a Japanese cultural center in your city, sometimes they teach it for free, or at least way cheaper than at a martial arts gym.
You are gonna want to adapt a lot of them grips tho.

At 6 foot 7 and 225llbs with wrestling, i.e. nearly an average sherdogger in terms of size and martial arts training, you would be able to throw most attackers around like little kids. Even 3 months of wrestling would be a big advantage against an attacker with no training.

Honestly just train something people overthink this too much

Me? I would go boxing or wrestling

they all suck. You need to learn karate. Unfortunately karate cannot be learned.

At 6 foot 7 and 225llbs with wrestling, i.e. nearly an average sherdogger in terms of size and martial arts training, you would be able to throw most attackers around like little kids. Even 3 months of wrestling would be a big advantage against an attacker with no training.
225 is too thin, avg sherdogger is 275 and ripped

These comments make me a little bit concerned. At the end of the day, the fighter wins, not the art.

These comments make me a little bit concerned. At the end of the day, the fighter wins, not the art.
It depends if he only trains striking he has no choice but to escalate in a self defense situation if utilizing his training. With grappling if things get to the point of shoving he can have so much control in that situation the person decides it is not worth it and agrees to deescalate without losing face.

It depends if he only trains striking he has no choice but to escalate in a self defense situation if utilizing his training. With grappling if things get to the point of shoving he can have so much control in that situation the person decides it is not worth it and agrees to deescalate without losing face.

Not true at all. You can send a controlled message striking.

Not true at all. You can send a controlled message striking.
Yeah, but things have escalated to a fist fight at that point.

In some situations that is necessary but with grappling it is more invisible so they can take the option of de-escalation as if it was their idea in the first place and not lose face in front of their friends.

In my experience the friends will often not jump in if their friend is winning but when things escalate and you are winning the friends are likely to jump in.

Back