Social WR Lounge v286 armchair quarterback edition

Do you know what a piss window is?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
maxresdefault.jpg

That's Jeff "Sherdog" Sherwood, creator of Sherdog.

I

Welp off to Golds. (I'm going to pack flipflops so I don't catch @tonni's toe fungus)

I really can't claim to know the best approach here. Seems like trying to take the lead in setting ground rules for trade and intellectual-property protection might make sense (maybe through some kind partnership that spans the Pacific--a "trans-Pacific" partnership, if you will. Surely, "tough-on-China" politicians would jump at that).

I think a central focus on others is a fucking loser mentality (in regards to basically everything), so it applies to geopolitics and the rivalry with China just as well. The US doesn't actually need to do anything but strengthen and solidify the assets it already has, which comprise possibly the most advantageous geostrategic position of any country to ever exist when taking all factors into consideration. That isn't to say it'll remain the sole global hegemonic force, but that essentially China will be able to impose nothing of detriment on the United States.

I think a central focus on others is a fucking loser mentality (in regards to basically everything), so it applies to geopolitics and the rivalry with China just as well. The US doesn't actually need to do anything but strengthen and solidify the assets it already has, which comprise possibly the most advantageous geostrategic position of any country to ever exist when taking all factors into consideration. That isn't to say it'll remain the sole global hegemonic force, but that essentially China will be able to impose nothing of detriment on the United States.

One of the points Yglesias makes in OBA is that because of its much larger population and the relative ease of catch-up (vs. frontier) growth, without a big change, it's inevitable that China will become a larger market than the U.S., which means that big companies will be heavily pressured to be favorable to the CCP (of course that's already happening). The easiest way to maintain our edge there is to just increase our population. By the reasoning that people like @Cubo de Sangre apply to immigration, the populist right wants China to dominate America because they oppose *both* immigration and stuff like the TPP. But no one on the other side of that is dumb and/or dishonest enough to go that route.

One of the points Yglesias makes in OBA is that because of its much larger population and the relative ease of catch-up (vs. frontier) growth, without a big change, it's inevitable that China will become a larger market than the U.S., which means that big companies will be heavily pressured to be favorable to the CCP (of course that's already happening). The easiest way to maintain our edge there is to just increase our population. By the reasoning that people like @Cubo de Sangre apply to immigration, the populist right wants China to dominate America because they oppose *both* immigration and stuff like the TPP. But no one on the other side of that is dumb and/or dishonest enough to go that route.

One notable thing about the TPP I liked is how strong it was on the protection of intellectual property. We have highly valued relationships across both oceans that need to be mended (in progress), we have extensive capital projects needed across the country (in progress) and we needed an injection of funds for both fundamental science research and our industrial technology sector (done).

Also:

BBC News: China Says Manufacturing 'Greatness' Still 30 Years Away

8 March 2021

China is at least 30 years away from becoming a manufacturing nation of "great power", a government advisor told party delegates on Sunday.

Many observers already see China as the "world's factory" given that more than a third of global output from cars to phones comes from there. But China's leaders are concerned about its heavy dependence on the US for high-tech products like semiconductors.

"Basic capabilities are still weak" Miao Wei warned on Sunday. "Core technologies are in the hands of others" and China runs the risk of "being hit in the throat" warned Mr Miao, who was Minister of Industry and Information Technology for a decade.

Although China still produces a significant amount of consumer and industrial products, its manufacturing output as a share of its economy has declined. Last year, manufacturing accounted for slightly over a quarter of Gross Domestic Product (GDP), the lowest level since 2012.

"The ratio of manufacturing output to GDP has been declining too early and too quickly" Mr Miao said in a speech to CPPCC delegates at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.

"China's manufacturing industry has made great achievements in recent years, but the situation of being big but not strong and comprehensive but not good has not been fundamentally changed," Mr Miao added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back