would you support UFC fights to be in open weight format, like in PRIDE FC?

I tried to come up with an intriguing tournament only to realize that I don't see how too many big named high ranked guys beat big high ranked guys a weight class ahead of them. I tried twice and had a field of Lombard, Rory, GSP, Rockhold, Jacare, Gus, Rothwell and Stipe. Note I didn't want any rematches. Came to the conclusion only Gus and Stipe could win and that I wanna see that fight.

It would be awesome. Might make some look bad in losing, but they still were down to fight anyone. The UFC needs a tournament like that.

Of course. Even +/- one weight class would create so much more interesting variety. Look at the tough guys Lyoto has faced being in 205 & 185. Hendo too.

I don't think size matters as much as people say.

when you think of 170 and 205...30 pounds isnt that huge of a difference.

I would be totally against it. Sure, you see the occasional upset (Manhoef-Hunt), but basically it comes down to a bigger guy winning `cause a littler guy can`t do much against him. These inter-weight-class fights in PRIDE were the worst!

Jarl

It would probably only be competitive if inly two weight classes where represented. So like Hendricks V Romero
GSP V Rockhold
Rory V Weidman
Lombard V Jacare

And I don't even see how anyone at WW gets past any MWs (maybe Romero, maybe Rory cuz he's a HUGE WW).

No, because despite liking Pride for what it was, the skill gap wouldnt be big enough for the smaller guys to even compete with the bigger ones. LHW/HW would reign supreme.

It would be great to see.

I believe that LHWs and HWs can fight eachother.

I also believe some MW can fight LHWs and do better than most people would expect.

There are also WW who can easily fight against MWs and a few LWs who can hang with WWs.

I think it would create more match ups which would be exciting for the fans.

Catchweight, not necessarily openweight. It would have to be bounds of reason. Like I think a few of Rich Franklin's 195 pound fights were great, that works for me. I think an agreed upon weight should be part of it though. I wouldn't want say a tournament where you might see Hendricks or Lawler vs Cain, for example. Nor would I want to see Aldo have to fight somebody like Weidman. But say Weidman vs Jones, or Jones vs Cain etc? That would be great.

I think they should make heavyweight openweight. None of this 265 lbs hogwash.

That would be interesting

I would love to see some crazy billionaire just hold an annual open weight tournament for 32 fighters with like a 5M top prize. That would be epic and I would definitely pay to watch it.

imagine Hendricks fighting Machida, or Jacare vs Gus... Yoel Romero vs Hunt and so on...
obviously this would have to happen in events hold in Japan or otherr countries that allow it, would you support this kind of fights?
I would support instant auto dubs for these, cruiserweight, brown pride and Fedor goat threads in this forum.

i certainly wouldnt mind if open weight fights were allowed, but i definitely like divisional fights as well.

Catchweight, not necessarily openweight. It would have to be bounds of reason. Like I think a few of Rich Franklin's 195 pound fights were great, that works for me. I think an agreed upon weight should be part of it though. I wouldn't want say a tournament where you might see Hendricks or Lawler vs Cain, for example. Nor would I want to see Aldo have to fight somebody like Weidman. But say Weidman vs Jones, or Jones vs Cain etc? That would be great.

I think they should make heavyweight openweight. None of this 265 lbs hogwash.

These two I'm fine with. Catchweights are fine, as the guys are close in weight anyway, and no upper limit for HW.

notice I refered to open weight fights within the UFC, where you can get a B or C level HW fight a top 3 MW, things like that, I dont see anyone putting JDS vs Matt Brown

Back