Social Would you rather inherit 20 million dollars when you turn 18 or spend the time earning 100 million dollars in your lifetime?

What would you rather do?

• Total voters
What is the stipulation on the 100M in a lifetime? At what age do we start getting money, and how much each year? I may change my vote depending on this important detail that was left out.

I suspect if you did studies on people who fall into these two camps, the ones who earned it would score higher on satisfaction and success in life by any normal metric.

Just getting 20 million that young for nothing would lead to all sorts of wild outcomes and it would largely deincentivize a lot of personal development.

Nothing is set in stone though, but I think the odds would be in your favour if you earned that money.

I'd rather earn it. The knowledge and experience would be invaluable. I think 18yr old me would've done well too but it's risky.

I didn't really have a good work ethic when I was 18, and I was dumb in a lot of other ways too.

I think I really needed that experience of being broke as a young man and learning to survive and eventually thrive on my own.

Plus what an amazing feeling it will be when I reach 100 million knowing I'd earned it.

I suspect if you did studies on people who fall into these two camps, the ones who earned it would score higher on satisfaction and success in life by any normal metric.

Just getting 20 million that young for nothing would lead to all sorts of wild outcomes and it would largely deincentivize a lot of personal development.

Nothing is set in stone though, but I think the odds would be in your favour if you earned that money.

Seeing the poll result, you can understand why there are not many successful people. :)

Getting a windfall out of no work will likely make most people blow it within a short duration and likely make their life worse after because they will be sitting around doing nothing hoping for the next windfall to drop. Most, not all.
Most people think/believe they will make sensible financial decision but likely won't, especially at 18. Again, most, not all.

We cherish what we worked for and earn. Not random airdrops that fell on your lap.

Took me less than 2s to choose the latter option but not surprised at the poll result.

EDIT:
When person that gained a large sum of money by random and lose it, they are likely not able to get the money again.

However, when the person worked for it and loses it, they have the capabilities to earn it back and more. This is why you see businessmen that goes bankrupt come back stronger. Obviously survivor bias is there, but even more rarely do you hear people get fortunate back if they strike "lottery".

Last edited:
20 Million at 18

dave-chappelle-money.gif

Imagine being 18-year-old with almost zero life experiences and having 20 million dollars in your pocket. Lol at the people who say they would invest it. I can almost promise you the majority of people won't be making smart choices. Just look at all those lottery winners who go broke. It's the same mindset. The only investments you guys will be making is in Logan Paul's NFT or doge coins

Now working towards 100 million dollars over your lifetime will surely make you cross paths with experiences. The amount of failures you will come across. Things you will learn along the way. Money does not come easy and for you to generate 100 million probably means you had to go through hell and back.

Simple math, but without even investing anything you could spend $277K a year for 72 years if you chose option A. I could easily live off of that.

A lot of sherdoggers have a very high opinion of their hypothetical investing abilities. Most lottery winners end up broke, 80% of pro athletes go broke within 3 years of retirement, so pretty sure a 1 time $20 million at 18 is going to have about a 99% rate of being broke by 30. Tax takes a bunch, you buy some stupid shit, and non stop women throwing themselves at you with the goal of either divorcing you and taking half, getting knocked up for massive child support, or if they don't get knocked up they can say it wasn't consensual years later and sue you for several million. If you're a naive 18 year old, various women will end up with like 2/3 of before you even turn 25.

my friend inherited 7 million. she put that into industrial real estate and rents the buildings and makes 40000.00 dollars a month.

if that isnt enough i dont know what is.

I tried investing my $10k at 18, but got told no because of my age. I had the wisdom, so I'm sure the larger amount would have made them overlook my age.
As for the "I'd rather earn it" crowd, fuck that. I'll find my sense of self-satisfaction elsewhere.

At 20 I would like to seen what I would have done with it. But really, I would prefer working and making 100 million over my lifetime.

I would rather have 20 million at 25. At 25, I would have been more responsible. At 18 I might have done something stupid with a bunch of it.

What is the stipulation on the 100M in a lifetime? At what age do we start getting money, and how much each year? I may change my vote depending on this important detail that was left out.

Throughout your life, probably when you reach 40 years old you'll have around 40-50 million and around 70 years old it will be about 90 million.

I had 1000 euros at 18 for my drivers license from my grandpa and spend it on weed. So I'll take the roughly one mill a year to living la vida loca.

I still don't have a drivers license.

Back