Social Would you rather everyone in the world be kinder and more compassionate or more intelligent?

Would you rather everyone in the world be kinder and more compassionate or more intelligent?

• Total voters
Kinder and more compassionate auto eliminates rape, murder,theft etc

not if the system works against them and you get a bunch of high IQ autists competing against each other for resources we are going the way of the imperium of man

not cure for cancer imo

That is Heresy! ;)

Kinder and more compassionate auto eliminates rape, murder,theft etc

It most definitely doesn't. Unless we are changing it from humans being kinder and more compassionate to would you rather eliminate murder and rape or everyone be more intelligent.

Most crimes especially murder and rape are generally crimes motivated by emotions.

Having more kindness and compassion doesn't erase greed desire lust revenge etc etc etc. And as pointed out increased levels of compassion can lead to some severe outcomes.

Compassion for children is clearly proven throughout history to have been the motivation for some heinous crimes. Let alone basic things like theft

looks like all the answeres were given already here

best answer is both

you can argue that compassion is already included in intelligence

both can be used for good or bad, but compassion seems to have a more dominant good side

you can't pick either this or that, its always both

but wisdom is objectively superior to both and includes both

If everyone is intelligent enough they should realize compassion for each other is going to provide the best outcome longterm for everybody so you get both.

That was my thought as well. I picked intelligence.

Neither.

some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-burn-batman.gif

I think that, generally speaking, you can’t have kindness and compassion without empathy. And you can’t have empathy without intelligence.

All of the dumbest people I have ever known had zero empathy for others.

Kindness and compassion. There's plenty of smart people, a lot of whom would get to realize their potential in a kinder world.
that's a good way to look at it.

The world is already too kind and compassionate.

That's why all these beggars can get by from their begging activities.

If people were more intelligent, they would realize that all those signs that talk about being hungry are 1000% percent bullshit. It's so easy to get food.

When I volunteered at a local charity they were having to throw away a lot of food that was expiring because they had too much. The lady in charge said that the majority of the homeless in the area don't even come to the food banks because it's so easy to convince people to buy them McDonald's or whatever, so nobody's going hungry.

I think that, generally speaking, you can’t have kindness and compassion without empathy. And you can’t have empathy without intelligence.

All of the dumbest people I have ever known had zero empathy for others.
Interesting point. I think you're probably right about intelligence and empathy; it seems by and large the most hateful, mean spirited, and bigoted people are generally of lower intelligence and have a much harder time understanding things outside of themselves. That being said I have known enough kind people that were not that bright, and absolute shitheads that were fairly intelligent. I would be very curious how it actually breaks down.

Kinder. There's the "mad scientist" archetype for a reason.

Back