Would you pick Robbie over Wonderboy?

Robbie Lawler vs Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson

• Total voters
Robbie will get outclassed, but if he survives to a decision he will win.
tongue2_zpsqjkya5hj.gif

I think Wonderboy outstrikes Lawler for four rounds, and busts Robbies face all up. At the end of the fourth Robbie gets up and sprays blood out of his mouth in a fine mist and walks toward Wonderboy menacingly, forcing the ref to intervene and send both fighters to their corners. In the fifth Robbie KHTFO.

And of course here comes the bandwagon hoppers with the hype. Don't count Robbie out, not saying Thompson couldn't win, but Robbie has proven he is legit, people were saying the same shit about Rory and Robbie ended up finishing him.

Here's what Big John thinks of Robbie v. Rory

‘How close were you to stopping the fight?’ It’s like no one understands. I was never really that concerned about Robbie Lawler in that fight. I was very concerned with Rory MacDonald. From about the fourth minute of the first round on.”

“What I’m seeing when I’m watching Robbie and Rory – Rory is, in the first round, landing more punches, but they’re not real hard,” McCarthy said. “Robbie is not throwing a lot, but when he’s landing shots they are thudding shots. They are heavy. And then he ends up breaking his nose in the first round.

“90 percent of that fight I was watching Rory.”

Melvin Manhoef was light years ahead of Robbie in the striking game.

Robbie has an x-factor.

064_melvin_manhoef_vs_robbie_lawler1.jpg

I thought Condit was going to be a terrible matchup for Robbie. WB is an even tougher matchup. I don't think Lawyer gets through 5 rds with a win, but I don't pick against him either.

I think Robbie goes beast mode in the first minute like he did in Hendricks 2. If WB survives the first couple minutes, he will control most of the action for the rest of the fight with Lawler having to press hard to gain the pocket and taking damage on the way in and at distance.

But Robbie also has the heart, and the wildcard, that KO-out-of-nowhere threat to contend with.
Gotta go with the Ruthless One for the stoppage.

Last edited:
If the Natural Born Killer can't get it done I can't see Stephen Thompson getting it done.

oh HELL no... dont even think he beat hendricks OR condit last two fights...

Haha. Thompson riders are weird. Robbie will knock him out. He doesn't have the chin to stand with Robbie more than 2 rounds.

After their recent fights I am picking Wonderboy. He is long, fast, extremely accurate and has a very diversified attack.

But I would never count out Robbie. He has the power and toughness as well as the hands to make it a long or short night for everyone.

If you mean finishing Lawler yeah. If you mean beating him Condit won hands down not even close.
Robbie has been rocked in most of his recent fights. And Wonderboy has extremely accurate striking. I am 100% sure he can finish Lawler and everyone else at WW. Not saying that is definitely going to happen but imo Wonderboy has the skills to easily outstrike anyone at WW.

Robbie has been rocked in most of his recent fights. And Wonderboy has extremely accurate striking. I am 100% sure he can finish Lawler and everyone else at WW. Not saying that is definitely going to happen but imo Wonderboy has the skills to easily outstrike anyone at WW.
Rory and Condit COULD do it. But they did not. WB COULD do it, but I would not say he will likely do it.

Would you pick Robbie?

I mean how is Robbie going to beat Wonder boy? Does he have enough to take him down and keep him there?

Ellenberger was able to drop Wonderboy with a right hand maybe Robbie could strike with him?

I just dont see any way Stephen Thompson wouldnt be the heavy favorite

tumblr_ng78rgZ8Ts1qet273o1_540.jpg

i can see lawler getting ko'd in an elusive way like in the diaz fight, lawler has a nice chin but a precise shot can put him to sleep and wonderboy can sure do that

Seems a dangerous fight for Robbie. It's easy to forget that Robbie was losing in the stand-up to both Hendricks and Rory in significant portions of their fights. I think if Robbie fought smart he could do it but I'd lean heavily toward Thompson.

Wonderboy won't have a big reach advantage over Lawler (75" vs 74") as he did against Hendricks. Yea I know Hendricks has never had issues with reach against other fighters, but he's never fought anyone who actually utilize their reach and kept him at range like Wonderboy did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back