Would you pick Robbie over Wonderboy?

Robbie Lawler vs Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson

• Total voters
I would favour the Wonderboy, but give Robbie a punchers chance. It goes without saying that Robbie would need to get inside and box in the pocket to be successful. But WB controls distance better than anyone Robbie faced so far.

There's no way in hell that this fight is a boring one, so I hope we get to see it.

5th round Lawler comes out after almost getting KO'ed 6 times and finishes Wonderboy....

Honestly, if Wonderboy is finishing Robbie, it will be in round 2, 3 or 4 since Robbie will probably take 2 rounds off. That will be Wonderboy's chance to capitalize.

Why is everyone sack riding wonderboy? He beat a crusty hendricks. Dudes hasnt fought in hella long. Wonderboy really hasnt proven crap. But i wouldnt mind watching robbie beat the hell outta him. I say robbie by ko/tko by rd3.

I would, but it wouldn't matter because he could hit Lawler twice as much and still lose a decision.

For the last 2-3 years, no matter who gets matched up against Robbie, the Sherdog community picks his opponent(s) to win. This new Wonderboy surge is no exception.

But, Robbie always seems to rise to the challenge. I think he would get often (like he did when he fought Condit) but would dish it out with more power and cause more damage to Thompson.

Jarl

robbie would be doing his homework after seeing the hendricks thrashing (not to mention one of the best ko's ever caught on tape vs jake), but he starts way too slow and the problems he had with conduit would be amplified against thompson. wonderboy by ktfo.

I think Wonderboy is faster and technically better, but Robbie just has the beast factor where you can never count him out.

Lawler can land a bomb at any point in the fight that can totally change things.

The relentless pressure of Brown gave Wonderboy trouble. Robbie can also be a high pressure fighter so maybe he'd employ a similar gameplan.

Lawler is a slow starter with a wear-and-tear chin. Thompson will take Lawler out before he gets the chance to adjust.

Only if it makes to the 5th round when "Final Round" Robbie is unleashed. Robbie has been losing everywhere fight he has been in lately and has managed to pull it out at the very end. That luck will run out soon along with his chin.

Yup. Not saying Wonderboy couldn't win, but if I had to bet I'd go with Lawler.

Robbie's chin gets cracked, he takes way too much punishment.

Why is everyone sack riding wonderboy? He beat a crusty hendricks. Dudes hasnt fought in hella long. Wonderboy really hasnt proven crap. But i wouldnt mind watching robbie beat the hell outta him. I say robbie by ko/tko by rd3.

right? he had a great performance against hendricks, who certainly did not look his best and didnt have marc laimon with him. lets let wonderboy get another victory over a top 5 guy. look at lawlers last 5 fights ffs! matt brown, hendricks twice, rory, condit. close decisions sure, but top of the top. all the sudden he's paper because everyone has a man crush on WB. lets see WB vs rory, or condit or even woodley, then i'll jump on the train.

Robbie is a relentless beast. He would shake off all them flashy kicks and punches. We all know that wonderboy cant take a punch from Robbie.

Considering Robbery Lawler has arguably lost both Hendricks fights, was losing 3 rounds to 1 on the judges scorecards against Rory heading into the last round, and lost against Condit I'd say Wonderboy would pick him apart, easily too just like he did to Hendricks.

If lawler thought that Diaz had good timing with his counters, wait till he gets in there with wonderboy.

I've been saying that Wonderboy is the worse matchup for Robby since he knocked out whitaker.

5th Round Lawler defies all logic and MMAmath.

Back