Would BJ still be LW champ?

No.
I love BJ but as evidenced by his many recent fights, he has lost his quick reflexes and even his stand-up abilities.

He was even getting tagged in the face by Jon Fitch during their standup exchanges.
That for me was the moment in time that told me he was close to being done.

His quickness is gone. The younger LW's would work him standing and that used to be his forte.

I think its a combination of age and possibly lack of training and maybe the head trauma he suffered from the 2nd GSP fight which resulted in his slower reflexes.

I'd like to think he would have been Champ until Bendo OR MAYBE NATE (Judging off his fight with Nick) challenged him.

BJ can beat mid range to lower tier guys but will lose to Bendo, Edgar, or possibly even Nate Diaz.

I'd like to think he would have been Champ until Bendo OR MAYBE NATE (Judging off his fight with Nick) challenged him.

How could BJ remain champ until Bendo or Nate? Was Edgar going to vacate the title?

Current BJ wouldnt be able to handle Ben or Nate. Or pettis for that matter. Guida would also probably be able to decision him. BJ hasnt looked like BJ since 2009.

The problem with BJ is he's so unpredictable. You never how he's going to be in the cage that night.

what about shogun and machida? i cant recall if it was immediate or not.

nevertheless, the mma game has left penn behind. if frankie hadnt tooled him in the first fight, the bendos, grays, nates, millers, cowboys and other would beat him.
Lol you don't even remember the Machida/Shogun rematch (1 of the biggest fights in mma history), and clearly didn't see the 1st Edgar/Penn fight.

You clearly don't know anything about mma, please stop

I think he would lose motivation and lose along the way to be honest. But at his best i think he is bad matchup for bendo and gray, nate vs penn would be a great fight but penn would win i think.

I think he would have went on to defend a couple more times and move up to WW anyways. A Maynard fight would have been interesting if that was one of them. Ben Henderson would be my bet to have had the best chance to take the belt from him although I don't think that would have been one of his fights before moving up. The loss to Edgar speed up his move back to WW.

B.J. would at least still be top 5 at LW. He could still string together some decent wins in that division and make one final run with the right match ups.

No one has said BJ would still be champ? I mean, thats unlikely, but with the BJ nuthuggers ive seen on Sherdog I expected a couple.

Everyone seems to agree..............is this really Sherdog?

No. Penn needs to leave, he will get brutalized if he moves down to 155.

Agreed. Was really hoping BJ could make something happen against Rory too, but i think BJ is done.

Don't want to see the guy keep getting beat up, he deserves better.

I think BJ's time is up however, I think the UFC 107 BJ Penn would destroy any LW out there past or present. He was in the best shape against Diego and was extremely hungry and motivated. That BJ is the best ever BJ.

I think he would've defended against Maynard and Pettis. Benson is a toss up. Bendo has a better gas tank than Penn which would probably help him ride out a decision. Benson or Nate would probably dethrone him, but he very easily could have been LW champ for quite some time if Edgar didn't get the decision win the 1st time.

I had BJ winning that first fight. Lots of people did. It's hardly a controversial opinion.

i had Serra winning the first GSP fight. Does not mean crap after I saw the second fight as both GSp and Edgar dominated and made it look like Serra and BJ respectively did not even belong in the same cage with them.

Back