Would BJ still be LW champ?

acmuaythai

(Not a very good) Pro Fighter
@Yellow
Reaction score
After seeing BJ take the worst beatings he ever has (except maybe GSP II?) by opting to stay at WW, if he had gotten the decision against Edgar in their first fight would he still be champ?

Its NOT a thread to argue who won that fight (it was close), but would Edgar have had a rematch with him being the challenger?

Would he have defended the belt a few more time untill someone like Ben Henderson came along?

Discuss

Edit: Not a BJ nuthugger (although I did think he won that the first fight), just wondering how the LW division would of panned out with all the WEC guys coming over at that time

I think BJ Penn still has alot of good fights at 155, he should stay at that weight for the rest of his career IMO. Frankie has BJ's number but now that he is at 145, Penn could be a contender again.

I think BJ Penn still has alot of good fights at 155, he should stay at that weight for the rest of his career IMO, Frankie has BJ's number but now that he is at 145 Penn could be a contender again.

No. Penn needs to leave, he will get brutalized if he moves down to 155.

I think BJ would still be competitive at 155, but there are top guys who would wipe the floor with him, namely Bendo.

Now that I think about it, I think Benson Henderson would beat BJ at LW and WW. Thoughts?

Here, let me get this out of the way:

bjrory.png

Would Edgar of gotten the rematch though if BJ won the decision? Has a challenger ever lost a close title fight and had an immediate rematch?

I think BJ would still be competitive at 155, but there are top guys who would wipe the floor with him, namely Bendo.

Now that I think about it, I think Benson Henderson would beat BJ at LW and WW. Thoughts?

Yeah I agree, I think BJ would of been champ untill Benson fought him. I think BJ has less of a chance at ww against him to be honest.

kind of a moot question isn't it.

you're asking would BJ be champ if he didn't lose. The simple answer is no because he did in fact lose the belt.

It would be different if BJ relinquished the title to move up to ww, but that's not the case.

So no, he would not be champ.

Penn is still a top 10 LW. If Eddie Alvarez came over a fight between them two could be electric.

EDIT: to answer the question that was originally asked. No Maynard would have beat him.

BJ is no longer a top fighter regardless of weight

kind of a moot question isn't it.

you're asking would BJ be champ if he didn't lose. The simple answer is no because he did in fact lose the belt.

It would be different if BJ relinquished the title to move up to ww, but that's not the case.

So no, he would not be champ.

Ok, so if he got the nod in the first Edgar fight (which was VERY close) would A. Edgar of had an immediate rematch? and B. Who would of taken the title of BJ? Edgar (in rematch), Maynard? Benson?

BJ could beat any LW out there, including Edgar (he arguably did it once). Moot point though since he has wasted his LW career away by not being a full time fighter.

Would Edgar of gotten the rematch though if BJ won the decision? Has a challenger ever lost a close title fight and had an immediate rematch?

what about shogun and machida? i cant recall if it was immediate or not.

nevertheless, the mma game has left penn behind. if frankie hadnt tooled him in the first fight, the bendos, grays, nates, millers, cowboys and other would beat him.

BJ Penn has exceptional skills but has had a very similar game/strategy for a long time.
I guess this gets you figured out. He has amazing boxing and exceptional BJJ with take down defence but this has been compromised from what I've seen by either faster fighters or people with more reach.
Not least to say that there have been a handful of occasions where (it would seem) he hasn't put his soul and mind into the fight.
He could comfortably remain a top ranked fighter but I don't believe he would have retained or regained the belt regardless of his path, quite simply because he got beat by fighters who were better.

ok, so are you asking if BJ would still be champ or would Edgar get a rematch if he lost the first fight?

you say you're not suggesting that BJ won the first fight but I think you are

BJ could beat any LW out there, including Edgar (he arguably did it once). Moot point though since he has wasted his LW career away by not being a full time fighter.

penn could beat edgar?

you seem to be aware that fought twice, but you dont seem to understand that they fought twice.

what about shogun and machida? i cant recall if it was immediate or not.

nevertheless, the mma game has left penn behind. if frankie hadnt tooled him in the first fight, the bendos, grays, nates, millers, cowboys and other would beat him.

Forgot about Shogun-Machida, think that was immediate.

penn could beat edgar?

you seem to be aware that fought twice, but you dont seem to understand that they fought twice.

I had BJ winning that first fight. Lots of people did. It's hardly a controversial opinion.

Ok, so if he got the nod in the first Edgar fight (which was VERY close) would A. Edgar of had an immediate rematch? and B. Who would of taken the title of BJ? Edgar (in rematch), Maynard? Benson?

ok, so lets say BJ won the first fight. If anything it would have been super close and a lot of people would be screaming that Frankie won. Much like the Machida Shogun fight. So with a 5 round fight that close yes I think Edgar would have gotten a rematch and because the rematch wasn't even close no I don't think BJ would still be champ.

Back