Would anyone recommend 10th planet to a newb?

i want you read my question again

some guys here told you can train there without any basics some other told you must know the basics!

Well based on the statement of the person claiming to train at 10th Planet, you can be a newbie but you have to pay for a few private lessons first ($50).

And after that, Eddie never really teaches the basics. So, if you have trouble learning from watching people grapple, you'll have a hard time picking up the basics.

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Eddie is good because he got basics from JJ Machado first! Eddie teaches an ATTRIBUTE based system. If you are 10th P and go against someone that has your same attributes, BUT string basics as well, you're smashed!

Look at the top guys in the world. Garcia, Jacare, Roger, Maia, Galvao, Drysdale, Saulo and Xande, and even the American top guys: Bill Cooper, jeff Glover, etc. They don't use the rubber guard and they are the best of the best.

Eddie beat Royler once. I guarantee you it wouldn't happen again. If I shut your rubber guard down, what else do you have. No basic BJJ at all.

Train with Gracie Barra, Alliance, Nova Uniao, Lloyd Irvin, Guerilla JJ, Cobra Kai, Team ROC, ATT, Xtreme Couture, etc. Rubber guard is GOOD IF you have a solid base set of skills FIRST!!!!

Put it this way. 2 guys start on the same day, same build, same height, body, etc. They're clones.

One guy works all his attributes: flexibility, strength, ruber guard, upside down guard, crazy subs, twisters, etc.

The 2nd guy does all hardcore basics.

For the first year, guy one is gonna demolish the basics guy. But once the basics guy catches up, slowly but surely, after a year or 18 months, guy two is gonna smash guy one. Because all guy one has is his attributes. Guy two has solid BJJ.

thanks guys for your feedback. that's what i'm asking for!!

you want to do gi training in my opinion bro

theres a reason the best grapplers in the world train it mostly!

depends on what he is trying to do, if he is trying mainly for MMA than no gi might be the way to go since he will practice what his actual fighting conditions will be like

Hayastan..

The word on the street is Albert Crane is opening a GB in Encino !
the thoughts of that make it worth wating till mid Jan.

JJ Machado's technique is beyond top notch . If I had an option I would train there no doubt

I have no experience with Eddie Bravo or any of the schools mentioned, but I will give you my perspective and what I have been going through since I started BJJ.

The two schools that I trained at, which are run by black belts, never went over real basics while I was in class (I am, not saying that they don't teach them, maybe I missed it, because I took some time off while training).
What I mean by "real basics" is proper positioning when on bottom in side control or mount, addresing grips before trying to pass guard (for gi), proper body positioning while in somebody's guard ("t-rex" arms, posturing, etc).
These things made huge difference for me. If we were talking face to face and able to drill this, it would make much more sense. I learned most of this stuff from purple and brown belts that I train with.
The key to it is also to always ask for what you need. If you are having a hard time getting out from side control, ask your teacher what to do and what you are doing wrong.
I would think that Eddie and Machado would go over this, but sometimes black belts forget to go over it (because its natural to them), or they assume everybody knows about it already.
For the last 3 months I have been mostly concentrating on escaping side control and mount and making sure people dont get me into side control or mount.
You might know 100 submissions and be really god at it, but f you don't know how to get out of side control or mount, it really doesn't matter.

i think u will learn the fundementals at pretty much any academy

Back