Would anyone recommend 10th planet to a newb?

If your in the valley, come by LA Boxing in Tarzana. Pat King is a BB under Royce Gracie. He is a great great teacher and funny as hell, lots of great quality training partners at the gym.

But if you have your heart set on 10th planet, yeah, eddie is great....i'm sure there are lots of good guys there also. I just wouldn't be 200+ for legends

I started training raw at Legends / 10th Planet. It's NOT true that you have to have 2 years of experience, but you do have to take a couple of privates for $50 if you're a beginner. Basically, Eddie just teaches his stuff. It's mostly offense and it's mostly fancy. Very few escapes, very few basics are taught. But on the flipside of that you're learning no-gi from a master of no-gi who really understands the difference between gi and no-gi (clinching instead of grips).

Ultimately, it's about what interests you and what environment will keep you interested in training. I'm probably lacking some aspects of the game because I started out learning some crazy advanced stuff, but it's not that hard to learn some of that stuff from the other guys, from basic insturctionals, etc., and Eddie's techniques and the general atmosphere there keep me pretty intrested (that is, when I have enough time to go, which is rare these days). It's not like a boot camp type atmosphere; it's more like Eddie shows his rather artistic techiques and watches how you do them, then you spar. The constant drilling of the same 3-4 techniques for two week stretches means you definitely learn things, and the system of live-drilling Eddie uses to ratchet things up a notch works quite well. So it's pretty systematic, but at the same time not a concentration camp type atmosphere where you would feel like shit for sucking.

I looked into legends when I was first looking for a place to train. What decided me against it was that you had to have two years experience to train BJJ with Bravo.

I've been training at JJ Machados for three months now and it's great.;

Jean Jacques Machado | Academy Information

lol, did Eddie point you towards JJ? I don't think you necessarily "lucked out" training at JJs

I started training raw at Legends / 10th Planet. It's NOT true that you have to have 2 years of experience, but you do have to take a couple of privates for $50 if you're a beginner. Basically, Eddie just teaches his stuff. It's mostly offense and it's mostly fancy. Very few escapes, very few basics are taught. But on the flipside of that you're learning no-gi from a master of no-gi who really understands the difference between gi and no-gi (clinching instead of grips).

Ultimately, it's about what interests you and what environment will keep you interested in training. I'm probably lacking some aspects of the game because I started out learning some crazy advanced stuff, but it's not that hard to learn some of that stuff from the other guys, from basic insturctionals, etc., and Eddie's techniques and the general atmosphere there keep me pretty intrested (that is, when I have enough time to go, which is rare these days). It's not like a boot camp type atmosphere; it's more like Eddie shows his rather artistic techiques and watches how you do them, then you spar. The constant drilling of the same 3-4 techniques for two week stretches means you definitely learn things, and the system of live-drilling Eddie uses to ratchet things up a notch works quite well. So it's pretty systematic, but at the same time not a concentration camp type atmosphere where you would feel like shit for sucking.

I would definitely love for you tell me more. I emailed them and wanted to set up a free trial class (MMA beginners probably). I was wondering if you knew how the MMA class, MMA workout, etc are? And how many private classes do you need? I would love to train there. Literally all I do is work and go home to rest so I have a lot of prospective training time I could commit to.

Absolutely. Eddie Bravo is an excellent teacher- In fact, I'd say that he's a better teacher than he is a grappler.

His concepts are awesome, IMO- even though there are a lot of haters here, I along with others, have learned a great deal from his books/instructionals

hey watsup man. i used to go to house of champions on saticoy, and had to pay the 300 a month.

about a month or 2 ago i switched to a mainstream gym called "bodies in motion", on RESEDA and DEVONSHIRE. $49 bucks a month and by far definitely better jui-jitsu training seeing as the kickboxing trainer (travis) is a personal student of eddi bravo's at legends in LA, and is a hell of a teacher.

not to mention, a jean jacques machado black belt (David Gondriez) goes there once in a while and rolls with us and gives us tips/insight. not only did this guy get his blackbelt from the same guy eddie bravo did, he says all the time that he kicks eddie's ass and talks crap about 10th planet jj and ruberguard all the time

needless to say, my game has improved vastly. any1 in the san fernando area should stop by bodies in motion and roll with us.

Righteous. I'll see you there maybe? Thanks again dude.

No problem, i'll be there monday, hope to see you there.

Ok, I was just going off what the lady at the front desk told me when I went in to check the place out.

lol, did Eddie point you towards JJ? I don't think you necessarily "lucked out" training at JJs

No, actualy I never got a chance to talk with Eddie, the person I talked to made it sound like I should be realy confident in my baisics before training with Eddie, weird huh?

If you want to do gi, go to Street Sports. If you want to do no-gi, go to 10th Planet.

If you're undecided, try a class at both.

you want to do gi training in my opinion bro

theres a reason the best grapplers in the world train it mostly!

This thread has yielded much (and sometimes conflicting) information. Thanks to all you dudes. I'm gonna take a class at all of them to see what's up. Legends seems cool because of the mixed curriculum and professional trainers, but I'm trusting God to lead me. Each has its' strong suits and hopefully I'll find the best one to commit to!

This thread has yielded much (and sometimes conflicting) information. Thanks to all you dudes. I'm gonna take a class at all of them to see what's up. Legends seems cool because of the mixed curriculum and professional trainers, but I'm trusting God to lead me. Each has its' strong suits and hopefully I'll find the best one to commit to!

Where you there today? I noticed a few new guys off the mats talking to Jean Jacques, but it sounded like they had some experience.

Where you there today? I noticed a few new guys off the mats talking to Jean Jacques, but it sounded like they had some experience.

I was planning to, but some other things came up. Definitely want to come in this week. Probably Thursday. You'll know me instantly. I barely learned the proper JJ front/back roll (as compared to Judo rolls), basic sweep from knees, basic foot-on-hip to guard, and basic guard pass from holding inside pants down. JJ Machado will probably just have me drilling while I'm there haha.

hi guys

can somebody tell me now if it is a must to have good basics in jj to join the grappling classes in legends gym?

is eddie bravos 10th planet jj recommend for somebody who have no to very little jj experiences?

hi guys

can somebody tell me now if it is a must to have good basics in jj to join the grappling classes in legends gym?

is eddie bravos 10th planet jj recommend for somebody who have no to very little jj experiences?

I want you to go back and read the previous posts.

Back