Would anyone recommend 10th planet to a newb?

supdudexxx

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In my quest for local gyms, I found I lived next to three worth noting:

House of Champions : Academy of Martial Arts In San Fernando Valley

BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU CLUB

and finally

LEGENDS MMCT

Distance wise I'm 8 miles from both Legends and HOC. ~1 from Street Sports.

I've NEVER done BJJ before and have VERY LITTLE Judo experience. I also don't have any reliable friends who know anything about this stuff (thus forcing me post on forums). I work full time and have wanted to do this for a while. Also note that I am also interested in something with stand up as well as BJJ (Muay Thai, Kickboxing, "MMA" class, etc). Remember I'm totally fresh to all this so am completely ignorant.

Any advice you guys can give would be great!

People always say it's best to learn the basics before learning the rubber guard, but I don't think being taught by Eddie Bravo himself is a bad thing at all. It's not like all he knows is the robber guard.

Yeah to go somewhere like Legends SEEMS like I have to have at least a blue belt or equivalent before I set foot inside the gym. But that could just be my newbie sense tingling. Also seems like a "waste" of money since I would most likely be doing the basics for the first 6 months. But then again at least I know they'd be making me do perfect practice.

If you want to do gi, go to Street Sports. If you want to do no-gi, go to 10th Planet.

If you're undecided, try a class at both.

How about writing/calling them and asking?

I've never been there, but why not? Eddie seems like a very good teacher, very detailed and skilled at imparting information. His system isn't so "fancy" that a new student should be discouraged from going there, I think that's giving his system way too much credit (i'm not trying to discount it at all).

I'm sure he has beginners starting there all the time. Also, if you want to eventually learn his system, you might as well start on the ground floor, and they'll make sure you don't develop bad habits or habits contrary to their philosophy.

How about writing/calling them and asking?

I've already visited Street Sports a couple times and emailed Legends. The thing is, since I'm new I don't know what to be looking for in a good gym/instructor. How do I know that they are "good" and that it is a good fit for me?

I've never been there, but why not? Eddie seems like a very good teacher, very detailed and skilled at imparting information. His system isn't so "fancy" that a new student should be discouraged from going there, I think that's giving his system way too much credit (i'm not trying to discount it at all).

I'm sure he has beginners starting there all the time. Also, if you want to eventually learn his system, you might as well start on the ground floor, and they'll make sure you don't develop bad habits or habits contrary to their philosophy.

I always figured that 10th Planet JJ was more like a supplemental branch of BJJ (I'm completely new to this, remember) where you would have to know at least a good amount of BJJ to even fathom what goes on in a 10th Planet class. It's good to hear the contrary. I heard he drills a lot which is good for me since I'm a little slow and I feel like, in anything, you need a good foundation before you can build.

I looked into legends when I was first looking for a place to train. What decided me against it was that you had to have two years experience to train BJJ with Bravo.

I've been training at JJ Machados for three months now and it's great.;

Jean Jacques Machado | Academy Information

I looked into legends when I was first looking for a place to train. What decided me against it was that you had to have two years experience to train BJJ with Bravo.

THIS is something that I expected, OH WELL. I'll look into that place. Looks like I'll see Eddie in a 2010.

you need to understand traditional concepts first... Eddie spent way over a decade in a GI..

from what i've heard jj machado is one of the best instructors you can learn from (and i know eddie got his bb from jj) and i know if i were anywhere near his gym that's where i would go

Hah you'll be doing 'basics' for 20 years man. The stuff you learn in the first months will still be applicable in years to come.

Hah you'll be doing 'basics' for 20 years man. The stuff you learn in the first months will still be applicable in years to come.

Backed hard. I understand this concept and want to nail the basics before I try to Jiu claw the world. Its between JJ Machado and Street Sports. Street Sports is closer, offers more classes (no gi, kickboxing), and is 45 a month less, but from what I'm discovering (again, remember I know nothing) JJ Machado is a better choice. Although I did hear Chris Lisciandro is a "phenom" and he has a BB under Renato Magno (not as good as JJ Machado I'm assuming?). Like I said I'm a BJJ baby and don't know what makes someone phenomenal or the right instructor for me.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm in need of this wisdom!

Backed hard. I understand this concept and want to nail the basics before I try to Jiu claw the world. Its between JJ Machado and Street Sports. Street Sports is closer, offers more classes (no gi, kickboxing), and is 45 a month less, but from what I'm discovering (again, remember I know nothing) JJ Machado is a better choice. Although I did hear Chris Lisciandro is a "phenom" and he has a BB under Renato Magno (not as good as JJ Machado I'm assuming?). Like I said I'm a BJJ baby and don't know what makes someone phenomenal or the right instructor for me.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm in need of this wisdom!

Machado is as good an instructor as anyone in the world, but it's expensive as hell. If you can afford it, go to Jean Jacques, it's worth it.

I agree with JJ Machado, he is by far the best instructor in my opinion. All the Machados are so clear in thier teachings and what makes them great is the fun enviroment. I've been to Eddie's and unless you have natural flexibility I would refrain from training there until your at least a blue belt. The reason I say that is cause they seem to assume everyone has basics training so when your drilling rubber guard and lockdown you'll be having loads of fun. But when you start rolling and you realize you don't even know how to pass the guard easily, or escape the mount and etc. Eddie does NOT teach fundamentals like a regular BJJ class would.

Silverblur, does JJ Machado offer a trial class? It's only 8 miles away from me and a 25 minute bus ride. I figure if anything I can at least weigh my options better if I can see first hand what goes down. I'm just praying hard I found the best place for me!

Oh and also, how does he teach? For example would he make me work on drills while teaching more advanced students different techniques? When I sat in on a Street Sports class, he taught everyone the same technique even though there were some new white belts that day. Does JJ Machado even personally teach or do his Black belts and Brown belts do that for beginners?

Silverblur, does JJ Machado offer a trial class? It's only 8 miles away from me and a 25 minute bus ride. I figure if anything I can at least weigh my options better if I can see first hand what goes down. I'm just praying hard I found the best place for me!

Oh and also, how does he teach? For example would he make me work on drills while teaching more advanced students different techniques? When I sat in on a Street Sports class, he taught everyone the same technique even though there were some new white belts that day. Does JJ Machado even personally teach or do his Black belts and Brown belts do that for beginners?

Yes, you get one free class, and Jean Jacques teaches most of the classes personaly.

If you have no experience he'll have you drill the basic positions while the rest of the class rolls for a few days, but you'll get to do the technique drills with the rest of the class.

Yes, you get one free class, and Jean Jacques teaches most of the classes personaly.

If you have no experience he'll have you drill the basic positions while the rest of the class rolls for a few days, but you'll get to do the technique drills with the rest of the class.

That sounds good man. I kinda hate it when I don't get to master the basics. I'll probably try to call and schedule a class this week if I can. Oh and also, is it strictly GI all the time? Not that I mind too much but it would just be a plus in my mind. Stoked regardless!

That sounds good man. I kinda hate it when I don't get to master the basics. I'll probably try to call and schedule a class this week if I can. Oh and also, is it strictly GI all the time? Not that I mind too much but it would just be a plus in my mind. Stoked regardless!

Ya, so far all i've done is Gi, but some of the senior students tell me that they occasionaly do no Gi when it gets realy hot.

Back