Would a prime Canelo beat Floyd Mayweather?

I thought the objective was to win?

The objective is to KO the man in front of you... at least IMO the purpose of stepping into the ring is not to outpoint the guy, its to knock him out. Floyds game plan is not to KO, but to outpoint. As I previously mentioned, fighting the way he fights is boxing, and you cant take anything away from him, he wins fair and square, just boring turning a fight sport into a point fighting sport. Sure he still kos guys like hatton for example.

I thought the number one rule in boxing was hit and not get hit?

As I mentioned before, it is boxing, cant take anything away from him. Just that people dont want to see point fighting, they want to see fighting.

Yeah dude hes a master at the fine art of boxing and all that great stuff and the boxing master enjoys watching his great technical skills etc etc........its just boring to watch, people dont want to watch a point fighting boxing match and someone go in there with that intent........they want to see guys like Tyson go in there and knock someone the fuck out..........im not debating his skill or tactics or trying to say its not boxing........just that myself and common fans want to see fights, not the fine art of boxing. and boxing can be both a fine art and a fight, and it can be turned into more of a fight vs a technical match depending on the fighter.

The fact that you find him boring says more about you then it does about him. Watching folyd fight is a master class in displine and staying within yourself.

I boxed prior to starting MT, I have competed in boxing, and still cross train boxing. I am not a boxer, but have a good understanding of it and enjoy watching it.

Lastly how many folyd fights have you seen? He has always been risk adverse ( a good thing ) but as the guys he fought got bigger he stopped koing people. But in his early days he was considered a ko artist.

not sure how many fights of his I have seen off the top of my head but I would say I have seen all his big payper view fights since way back in the day man. Though I definitely have not seen all of his fights thats for sure. I previously mentioned that when he was younger, he fought much more aggressive and that he was finishing guys, and that was much more exciting to watch then how he fights now and that I think most would enjoy seeing that rather then how he fights now.

To me the point of stepping into a boxing ring is to knock the guy out in front of you, not win on points. People want to see a fight like gatti vs ward, not watch some one dance around the ring and tally up points. Great master tactics aside that boxing purists may enjoy watching, I would prefer to see a fight.

Floyd definitely doesnt dance around the ring and tally up points. Sorry man, but that's really just a position of not actually seeing his fights unfurl.

Against Judah, Mosley, DLH, and Canelo, during the latter rounds Floyd marched forward and beat the fuck out of them. He struggled early in each of those as well, Judah dropped him, Mosley nearly KO'd him, and Canelo got some very good work done. DLH was even on the cards with him going into the late rounds.

He knocked Marquez on his ass.

He knocked Hatton clean out.

He struggled with Maidana in ugly, but exciting fights.

He was battered and bloody against Cotto and still managed to rock him.

Now there's some stay-busy bouts in there, or ones getting comfortable at a weight. But theres hardly any fights where he outright avoided confrontation. that's mainly rhetoric. Baldomir and Castillo II are the only ones that were legit bouts for lineal titles that could qualify, and in one he had a broken hand.

Keep in mind that Floyd was fighting at his walking around weight for all of those bouts.

Sometimes boring and extremally predictable fighters are almost udefeatable.
Buakaw from my opinion is boring to watch, he is incredibly predictable!, only takedowns are not so predictable. Despite this he wins fights.

Last edited:
Sometimes boring and extremally predictable fighters are almost udefeatable.
Buakaw from my opinion is boring to watch, he is incredibly predictable!, only takedowns are not so predictable. Despite this he wins fights.
Floyd and Buakaw are among the most unpredictable fighters in the world. Are we watching the same fights?

Floyd doesn't have exploitable patterns, doesn't settle into a rhythm and is constantly switching between offense and defense. That's why you can't time him. He'll put you on your guard with feints and circle away. You'll think he's just coasting then suddenly he's in your face again. He'll look like he's covering up and blast you with a counter out of nowhere.

As for Buakaw, he's one of the few fighters on the international scene to be equally proficient with both legs. You never knows if he's gonna throw a teep or a roundhouse, if he's gonna aim low or high, if the kick will come from the right or left side. Add to that the fact that he doesn't telegraph and there's no way to tell what he's gonna do.

Last edited:
If about Floyd, i trusted to opinions in forums.
Buakaw, thanks to his match with Kehl i started my interest what stuff is Muay Thai.
Disclaimer. I don't know Muay Thai.
He don't need to telegraf, a few bunch of simple techniques he always use is predictable.
However, yes, he kicks good with both legs and equally powerful uses both elbows and hands in clinch what allows him to perform fast takedowns.
When watching I found out that for me takedowns performed by him are for me almost 90% unpredictable but kicks not at all.
However I think, he well developed his strategy. He is smart and thinks fast and a lot.

Last edited:
The objective is to KO the man in front of you... at least IMO the purpose of stepping into the ring is not to outpoint the guy, its to knock him out. Floyds game plan is not to KO, but to outpoint. As I previously mentioned, fighting the way he fights is boxing, and you cant take anything away from him, he wins fair and square, just boring turning a fight sport into a point fighting sport. Sure he still kos guys like hatton for example.

You are wrong. The object of any sport is to win. not to entertain not to be a fan favorite its to get the job done.

As I mentioned before, it is boxing, cant take anything away from him. Just that people dont want to see point fighting, they want to see fighting.

Yeah dude hes a master at the fine art of boxing and all that great stuff and the boxing master enjoys watching his great technical skills etc etc........its just boring to watch, people dont want to watch a point fighting boxing match and someone go in there with that intent........they want to see guys like Tyson go in there and knock someone the fuck out..........im not debating his skill or tactics or trying to say its not boxing........just that myself and common fans want to see fights, not the fine art of boxing. and boxing can be both a fine art and a fight, and it can be turned into more of a fight vs a technical match depending on the fighter.

If that where true Mayweather wouldn't have the highest grossing fights of all time hell he owns the entire list.

I boxed prior to starting MT, I have competed in boxing, and still cross train boxing. I am not a boxer, but have a good understanding of it and enjoy watching it.
Which means jack. Your gripe has more to do with personal taste and less to do with technical know how. You prefer slugfests nothing wrong with that.
not sure how many fights of his I have seen off the top of my head but I would say I have seen all his big payper view fights since way back in the day man. Though I definitely have not seen all of his fights thats for sure. I previously mentioned that when he was younger, he fought much more aggressive and that he was finishing guys, and that was much more exciting to watch then how he fights now and that I think most would enjoy seeing that rather then how he fights now.

To me the point of stepping into a boxing ring is to knock the guy out in front of you, not win on points. People want to see a fight like gatti vs ward, not watch some one dance around the ring and tally up points. Great master tactics aside that boxing purists may enjoy watching, I would prefer to see a fight.

The numbers say otherwise.

You are wrong. The object of any sport is to win. not to entertain not to be a fan favorite its to get the job done.

Boxing isnt point fighting, its fighting....the point of fighting is to KO the guy or beat him until he is unable to continue.........not outpoint him.......you can win on points but going into a fight with the intent of outpointing him I dont agree with.

If that where true Mayweather wouldn't have the highest grossing fights of all time hell he owns the entire list.

Theres a lot more to it than that and you know it...his persona, trash talking, antics outside of the ring, etc. etc. Look at how much money he made off the Mcgregor fight, you think that had to do with his boxing skill level, or "everything else" he does. Cmon now.

Which means jack. Your gripe has more to do with personal taste and less to do with technical know how. You prefer slugfests nothing wrong with that.

I will agree with you that its personal taste, which I stated in my comment with "IMO" which is short for in my opinion if you were unaware. I would disagree that training and competing in boxing means "jack". Training and competing in boxing means a lot more than someone that has not.

The numbers say otherwise.

The numbers say otherwise with a lot more to do with his antics aside from his boxing skill, Mcgregor or Tenshin fight being perfect examples. Everyone knows this man, yourself included.

@shincheckin
No boxing is not fighting.
Boxing is boxing. It's a sport.

Knocking someone out is the best mean to win a fight, especially at the lower levels not the end.

Anyway that's got nothing to do with Mayweather who could it all.
You sound like you have only watched some of his highlights.

@shincheckin
No boxing is not fighting.
Boxing is boxing. It's a sport.

Knocking someone out is the best mean to win a fight, especially at the lower levels not the end.

Anyway that's got nothing to do with Mayweather who could it all.
You sound like you have only watched some of his highlights.

boxing is a sport....a fighting sport, it definitely still is a fight.........you sound like you have never had a boxing fight? Once you do, you tell me if it was a fight or not.

You can win on points in boxing, but boxing is not a point fighting sport like TKD, thus your goal when you fight, should not be to win on points.

Winning on points is fine, but should not be the intent (such as mayweather). Guys like GGG dont walk in there with the plan of winning on points, they walk in there with the goal to KO. If they win on points fine but it wasnt the goal....I prefer this style of fighting over "touch and run".

Everyone knows the saying, you dont play boxing. why, because its still a fight. Thats why after you FIGHT in a boxing FIGHT, people ask you how did your FIGHT go? Did you win your FIGHT...........boxing is a fight bro.

11906138_1663110397269388_2091612983_n.jpg

Why not? If one can achieve superiority in rounds without high risk, then why not?
TKD kicks might be incredibly powerful and easily achieve KO, however if kicks are weak, they can kick faster than strong kicks. Therefore not rarity that they stand in 30/70 stance and quickly deliver 2 kicks with frontal leg.
Points are counted.
Karate they offered WKA system for Olympics, where head kick 3 points, punch 1 point.
Kyokushin does not allow punches to head, they adapted and KOs usually achieve with head kicks, so they try to deliver powerful kicks.

Last edited:
It's also a point fighting sport, exactly because not all fights can end with KO.

Again what all these have to do with Floyd? He had a pretty big KO ratio.

Once he started having hand problems, getting older and fighting at his walk around weight, stopped knocking out people. How does this discredit him though?

Contrary, it shows how great of a technician he was. He beat them all by controlling all the engagements using feints superior timing and by sharpening his technical tools even more in his latest years.

I personally watch boxing for the technical nuances.
This is where the difference is between someone good and someone great.
If you like seeing people smashing each other then more power to you.
I happen to prefer watching Floyd than Brandon Rios.

Canelo's biggest mistake was thinking he could roll Floyd's punch his head. Makes the damage look worse than it is

It's also a point fighting sport, exactly because not all fights can end with KO.

Again what all these have to do with Floyd? He had a pretty big KO ratio.

Once he started having hand problems, getting older and fighting at his walk around weight, stopped knocking out people. How does this discredit him though?

Contrary, it shows how great of a technician he was. He beat them all by controlling all the engagements using feints superior timing and by sharpening his technical tools even more in his latest years.

I personally watch boxing for the technical nuances.
This is where the difference is between someone good and someone great.
If you like seeing people smashing each other then more power to you.
I happen to prefer watching Floyd than Brandon Rios.

That is kind of my point, I don't want to see a wild sloppy unskilled fight, but i much rather watch 2 skilled boxers that are lesser skilled than mayweather go to war than watch mayweather play chess. Ill take canelo GGG all day over mayweather pacquiao.

That is kind of my point, I don't want to see a wild sloppy unskilled fight, but i much rather watch 2 skilled boxers that are lesser skilled than mayweather go to war than watch mayweather play chess. Ill take canelo GGG all day over mayweather pacquiao.
My problem isnt that you prefer one style of fighting over another, it's that you are passing off your preferences as fact. Like you are speaking for the masses.

Entertainment is relative. I'd rather watch team basketball vs a great individual performance. I'd rather watch a case study by Floyd than a case slugfest.

My problem isnt that you prefer one style of fighting over another, it's that you are passing off your preferences as fact. Like you are speaking for the masses.

Entertainment is relative. I'd rather watch team basketball vs a great individual performance. I'd rather watch a case study by Floyd than a case slugfest.

Just stating my point of view.

Can't time stamp it from phone but im much more on board with this, "bring a nice fight"

Go to 1:17

Floyd wouldn't fight Canelo at 160, that's not meant to be a knock against him but people only seem to want to remember his late career run at 147/154 and not the fact that he started out at 130 fucking pounds, in fact, IIRC he never even weighed in over 153 on the scale; Canelo by comparison was already a welterweight by the time he turned 18. No shit he'd have a hard out against the #1 P4P guy who, as the threat title suggests, is literally in his prime at this very moment, especially if he took it upon himself to go up to said guy's natural weight class.

If Cinnamon wants to come back down to 154 I think there's still a competitive fight to be made, IMO his energy level in later rounds has definitely benefitted from the move to middleweight and against Floyd he's going to have to put the pressure on and take it to him, if he had to cut back down to Jr middle 3 months from now, I don't think he'd be able to do that consistently for 12 rounds. If he starts having trouble with his pacing and takes rounds off the way he did against Jacobs he's going to fall into Floyd's rhythm and it's going to require a lot of gas to battle back out of that.

The fact that we're even entertaining fantasy matchups like this for a 42 year old man, two years into his retirement, speaks to the quality that ruled the roost during the May/Pac era.

Then you will love this fight if you haven't watched it already.
Great action!

Back