Would a prime Canelo beat Floyd Mayweather?

StopDucking

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
How would the 28-year-old Canelo who beat Golovkin match up against the 36-year-old Mayweather who beat Canelo? Floyd obviously wasn't in his physical prime but his technique and ring IQ were at their pinnacle. He actually looked better than ever in that fight.

Do you think Floyd would still win by decision or was he lucky Canelo wasn't born a few years earlier? I think the main difference with their 2013 fight is that Canelo would be the aggressor and not let Floyd walk him down for half of the fight. Floyd would have to stay on the defensive more but also be sharper with his counters. His best bet would be to bait Canelo into punching himself out and try to take over in the later rounds. My pick would be Mayweather by very close decision.

@Sinister Would love to hear your thoughts.

How would the 28-year-old Canelo who beat Golovkin match up against the 36-year-old Mayweather who beat Canelo? Floyd obviously wasn't in his physical prime but his technique and ring IQ were at their pinnacle. He actually looked better than ever in that fight.

Do you think Floyd would still win by decision or was he lucky Canelo wasn't born a few years earlier? I think the main difference with their 2013 fight is that Canelo would be the aggressor and not let Floyd walk him down for half of the fight. Floyd would have to stay on the defensive more but also be sharper with his counters. His best bet would be to bait Canelo into punching himself out and try to take over in the later rounds. My pick would be Mayweather by very close decision.

@Sinister Would love to hear your thoughts.

I said a long time ago that given time to mature, Canelo could win a tactical match against Floyd. Canelo haters would never believe me, but he did much better in those early rounds against Floyd than people remember

Floyd would still win by decision no matter how the fight goes. They love mayweather so much that they would make him win again just so people would hate floyd and want to see him get his ass beat again.

I believe that Floyd is on another level compare to all the active fighters today, so I would still favour Mayweather.
The more I see Crawford, Spence, Canelo the more I appreciate Floyd.
I think that Canelo is a great fighter though and maybe the best technician in the sport right now, so it would be a difficult win for Floyd.

I said a long time ago that given time to mature, Canelo could win a tactical match against Floyd. Canelo haters would never believe me, but he did much better in those early rounds against Floyd than people remember
Floyd always does bad in the beginning though. It takes him a few rounds to read the opponent. Juda fight was the same. Heck, even Conor clocked him in the first round. I think the outcome would be the same. Floyd would figure out Prime Canelo and put a whooping on him in the later rounds.

Was never really into Canelo, but he won me over a bit in the second ggg fight. I would still favour floyd by a margin though.

Prime Canelo is probably at 168.

Floyd Sr turned down the GGG fight because GGG was 160

Prime Canelo is probably at 168.

Floyd Sr turned down the GGG fight because GGG was 160
He's not really a super middleweight. He only fought at 168 to grab Fielding's make-believe belt and will go back to 160 for his next fight. He and Golovkin are similar in size (about 170 lbs).

Floyd always does bad in the beginning though. It takes him a few rounds to read the opponent. Juda fight was the same. Heck, even Conor clocked him in the first round. I think the outcome would be the same. Floyd would figure out Prime Canelo and put a whooping on him in the later rounds.

I didn't say Floyd did bad, I said Canelo did better than people gave him credit for. Theres a big difference. Canelo has learned to adjust as well, so no...no whoopin' will be put. In fact, no one aside from Prime Floyd has been able to put anything close to a whoopin' on him.

In fact, no one aside from Prime Floyd has been able to put anything close to a whoopin' on him.

Hahaha, so GGG did not have Canelo up against the ropes for something like half a match in Canelo-GGG 1? For god sake, GGG dominated Canelo far more than Mayweather in terms of ringsmanship.

Does he get to use Clenbuterol, I mean tainted Tacos to help make weight and keep his strength.

At 154 mayweather still wins but it’s a hell of a lot harder and eats some good shots in the process. Probably even gets hurt at some point

Hahaha, so GGG did not have Canelo up against the ropes for something like half a match in Canelo-GGG 1? For god sake, GGG dominated Canelo far more than Mayweather in terms of ringsmanship.

No

At 160 I think Canelo probably over powers him late.

Floyd was the kind of guy who preoccupied about every possible way he could give himself extra advantages in his game, to maximize his certitude of winning. That includes work in the ring, and also outside of it.

He was very good at the matchmaking game, and made sure he never let himself into a situation where things were stacked against his interest or where he could be taken advantage of (something many fighters are unfortunately naive about). In particular, he was very good at making sure he always fought dangerous opponents at the right times; either getting in with them early - in the case of talented young up-and-comers before they assume their peak - or holding off for a meanwhile - in the case long time veterans who might lose a step later.

It is not to say that he would not manage to find a way to win anyways, had he and Canelo fought later; but it is to say it was not the best version of Canelo that he fought.

Last edited:
Prime Canelo is way bigger and much more technical than he used to be. He takes a UD or KO's Floyd at this point

I really dont think anyone is capable of beating floyd, because of his tactics, which are for the most part, to just run away the whole time and touch and rack up points. How can you fight a guy that doesnt want to fight? When he was younger he was more aggressive. I find floyds fights very boring to watch, and some kind of drama nonsense always happens, like a headbutt, or getting bitten on the glove, or anything else. His fight against Pacquiao was boring and lack luster from what I remember. The greatest boxing match in our generation or history or what not, was a huge let down. Yeah hes smart and all that great stuff but fighting is fighting, and people want to see a fight. If he would just be aggressive and take the fight to people rather than "run" I think he would have a lot less haters. His skill level matched with aggression would have been a amazing thing to see. Yes he would have probably lost some fights because he would have to take risks being aggressive but it would have been a great thing to see. instead what we were given for the fight of the centruy is 1:30 seconds of bleh out of a 12 round fight.

Depends on the Mexican supplements

Back