Would a prime Canelo beat Floyd Mayweather?

Canelo would beat Floyd Mayweather, but not Mayweather Jr.

No.........as much as i love both fighters and boxing itself just no.

Been tested in past, two different fighters Floyd Jnr is a stylistic defensive fighter who is quick to retreat and lunge in to attack.

EDIT: LoL @4.56

This is an advantage, you got to have something that is of specific trait no one has come close to offer something that would tip that in favor.

Floyd will always be the man for the history books! ;)

To me Canello is more of a squared up forward attacking puncher offering no advantage in punching range or fast footwork that would make him lethal as an opponent facing Floyd. He is almost predictable in many ways and you can see this in above fight, well thats my 2c's

Last edited:
I really dont think anyone is capable of beating floyd, because of his tactics, which are for the most part, to just run away the whole time and touch and rack up points.

I do think the main problem is , like you wrote, that Floyd entering his prime knew he could lay back and just play touch up while still getting the rounds on scorecards and this developed into a fundamental part of his strategy entering a fight just not to loose.

I`d say because of that he would always be untouchable in Vegas. But given a neutral boxing location / judges / ref I would slightly favour actual Canelo vs Floyd also because both would be equal draws and Floyd would had have to enter the fight with a different mindset to really try to win the fight.

Floyd is an exceptional boxer dont understand me wrong but thats part of his career and it lessens it in my eyes.

We also had a boxer like that in Sven Ottke on a lower level. He was a great amateur boxer! 3rd place at world championships in 89 and overall just a small knock below the absolute elite in amateur boxing at that time with Hernandez (CUB), Lebsjak (RUS) (also beat Lebsjak 1993) etc Had it all and then going pro he fought for Sauerland and he knew at some point that he would get every decision by just trying not to loose with darting in / out.

It cannibalized his style , he won his matches but could have been so much more in terms of showing boxing prowes and really go into a boxing fight to fight.

Last edited:
Floyd would beat Canelo right now. If he stepped out of retirement and did a 3 month camp he'd beat him again just like the first time

I do think the main problem is , like you wrote, that Floyd entering his prime knew he could lay back and just play touch up while still getting the rounds on scorecards and this developed into a fundamental part of his strategy entering a fight just not to loose.

I`d say because of that he would always be untouchable in Vegas. But given a neutral boxing location / judges / ref I would slightly favour actual Canelo vs Floyd also because both would be equal draws and Floyd would had have to enter the fight with a different mindset to really try to win the fight.

Floyd is an exceptional boxer dont understand me wrong but thats part of his career and it lessens it in my eyes.

We also had a boxer like that in Sven Ottke on a lower level. He was a great amateur boxer! 3rd place at world championships in 89 and overall just a small knock below the absolute elite in amateur boxing at that time with Hernandez (CUB), Lebsjak (RUS) (also beat Lebsjak 1993) etc Had it all and then going pro he fought for Sauerland and he knew at some point that he would get every decision by just trying not to loose with darting in / out.

It cannibalized his style , he won his matches but could have been so much more in terms of showing boxing prowes and really go into a boxing fight to fight.

Exactly right!

135 lbs Floyd was the perfect fighter.

He would even win against Joshua.

Floyd destroyed all your favorite fighters.

You really think so?

Im not 100% sure, but Floyds work ethic is his most dangerous weapon.

Dudes work ehtic is soooooooooo crazy lmfao

135 lbs Floyd was the perfect fighter.

He would even win against Joshua.

Floyd destroyed all your favorite fighters.

Im not 100% sure, but Floyds work ethic is his most dangerous weapon.

Dudes work ehtic is soooooooooo crazy lmfao
no such thing as perfect. for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, floyd was a brilliant defensive boxer but he wasn't much of a puncher. he flared his elbows a fair bit and didn't really "set" himself on his punches.

At 130, in Title fights, he was 8-0, and 6 of them by fairly brutal stoppages. Just sayin

no such thing as perfect. for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, floyd was a brilliant defensive boxer but he wasn't much of a puncher. he flared his elbows a fair bit and didn't really "set" himself on his punches.

Yeah.. he didn't sit on his punches which makes them devoid of any real power, same for Roy Jones Jr and Ali most of the time... But it does make him go in and out very effectively, like a point fighter.

You really think so?

Yes. I would say with %100 confidence. Floyd had fun when he fought Conor. A glorified sparring match. He hasn't taken any damage in his last few fights. He is the greatest defensive boxer in the game. If he wanted to , he could compete at the highest level for at least 3-5 more fights.

He had early KO records against total bums. I have seen those early fights.

You're a bum.

No one Floyd fought FOR Titles at 130 was like you.

Yeah.. he didn't sit on his punches which makes them devoid of any real power, same for Roy Jones Jr and Ali most of the time... But it does make him go in and out very effectively, like a point fighter.

This is arguably one of the worst assessments of Floyd, Jones Jr., and Ali I've seen in quite a while. All 3 of these men have 1-punch KO's or brutal beat downs with serious injuries to their opponents on their records. Ali's Amatuer career was built around his punch, and he was an Olympic Gold Medalist. Roy Jones has dazzling HL KO's with both hands.

This shit is just straight out lying.

This is arguably one of the worst assessments of Floyd, Jones Jr., and Ali I've seen in quite a while. All 3 of these men have 1-punch KO's or brutal beat downs with serious injuries to their opponents on their records. Ali's Amatuer career was built around his punch, and he was an Olympic Gold Medalist. Roy Jones has dazzling HL KO's with both hands.

Maybe you should watch their feet when they're throwing punches..

IMO floyds offensive is so fucken underrated.

IMO floyds offensive is so fucken underrated.
It’s true but it’s a testament to the power of a media driven narrative.

His fight with Pep is an incredible display of offense one of my favorite fights of his.

What are we all talking about here the guy just gave Tenshin a good ol whooping..............

Floyd still the man, still got it and there is no one close or offering anything better!

STICK TO THE FACTS! ;)

Last edited:
What are we all talking about here the guy just gave Tenshin a good ol whooping..............

Floyd still the man, still got it and there is no one close or offering anything better!

STICK TO THE FACTS! ;)

How beating a guy many divisions below who isn't even a boxer is an arguement in Floyd's favor.
From all the things he has accomplished you went and picked the most insignificant one for some reason.

Last edited:
Back