Would a more cautious Cyborg have beaten Amanda Nunes?

Most. Cyborg only fought six women who did not fight lighter than 145 before fighting Amanda, and had fought six women who fought as light as 125. To accomplish this "marvel" she came in heavy four times, failed two drug tests and her and her team tampered with a weigh-in scale. Cyborg's entire career was a history of cheating and/or seizing unfair advantage to beat up smaller women.

...and to be honest her style was entirely built around physical advantage, she always depended on being able to out chin and out power opponents, her defence was never that good so Nunes clocking her early wasnt really out of character.

Last edited:
...and to be honest her style was entirely built around physical advantage, she always depended on being able to out chin and out power opponents, her defence was never that good so Nunes clocking her early wasnt really out of character.

Yeah. The only time she actually used good technique her fights took a lot longer. And her technique was not the great. Someone mentioned her fight with Holly (who, to be honest, has never been a great example of technique either) but Holly did better against Cyborg than she did against both Nunes and the far smaller Shevchenko. You cannot compare the ghost of Zingano with prime Zingano in any way, shape or form as she had so much trauma from the fight with Amanda that it forever compromised her ability to make weight as well as other issues.

She has never truly displayed good technique under pressure in any single fight, ever. Only against people who should not have been in the cage with her. Rather like my old gimp ass still being capable of showing good technique against the heavy bag. In the grand scheme of things that meas less than shit.

Reactions: HHJ
Considering how many soccer moms have beaten Nunes: yes!

Nope. Even in the ufc she was still fighting cans until Holmes and nunes. Nunes was just way better than anyone she fought. Nunes knew it too. That’s why she was so successful.

Cyborg herself fought lighter than 145 so that's a dumb argument
Sure. The she used peds to bulk up to 145, refused to drop any of that weight, and spent the rest of her career calling out smaller fighters.

I dunno but I can't help but enjoy watching a humble great like Nunes smacking up a loudmouth weight bully like Cyborg

Note: Flame all you want but I'll always consider Cyborg a weight bully, sorry I guess

Sure. The she used peds to bulk up to 145, refused to drop any of that weight, and spent the rest of her career calling out smaller fighters.
She was optimized for FW just like Ronda was optimized for BW. That's why Cyborg called her out at 140 for years but Ronda hid behind the 135 barrier. We see all kinds of champs moving up to challenge the champion of the next weight class but Ronda didn't even have to go up a full weight class to participate in what would have been the biggest WMMA fight ever, all she had to do is not cut an additional 5 pounds but she was too scared.

She was optimized for FW just like Ronda was optimized for BW. That's why Cyborg called her out at 140 for years but Ronda hid behind the 135 barrier. We see all kinds of champs moving up to challenge the champion of the next weight class but Ronda didn't even have to go up a full weight class to participate in what would have been the biggest WMMA fight ever, all she had to do is not cut an additional 5 pounds but she was too scared.
This is a pretty dishonest way to frame it. Again, Cyborg started her career smaller then used peds and put on a lot of weight and refused to ever take any of it off. Ronda wasn't the only fighter that knew she was on the sauce and had no desire to go up and fight someone insisting on a weight advantage. None of the girls Cyborg was calling out had a FW frame. And many of them rightfully had no interest in going up to fight her. There's literally nobody else of note at FW.

This is a pretty dishonest way to frame it. Again, Cyborg started her career smaller then used peds and put on a lot of weight and refused to ever take any of it off. Ronda wasn't the only fighter that knew she was on the sauce and had no desire to go up and fight someone insisting on a weight advantage. None of the girls Cyborg was calling out had a FW frame. And many of them rightfully had no interest in going up to fight her. There's literally nobody else of note at FW.
I think it's dishonest to think that no one else was on anything prior to USADA, and to use that as an excuse not to fight is probably pretty hypocritical for a lot of them, especially Ronda.

Yes, Cyborg is the better fighter and just got careless against the only other fighter with real finishing power. Nunes had exactly one way to win and she pulled it off. I’d pick Cyborg to beat her 8/10 times.
What were Cyborgs other ways to win? She wasn’t subbing Nunes and it’s not like Cyborg was some kind of point fighting master. Not to say that she COULDNT have won a decision but I don’t think she was really any more likely than Amanda to win one, she only had 3 decision wins up to that point. Two of them were very early on in her career and the other was against Holm who isn’t really known to push the pace. So while I know Amanda has had gas tank issues I don’t think Cris was on much better footing than her in that department.

I get what you’re saying but I think Amanda had just as many ways to win as Cyborg. The difference was she actually did one of them.

Reactions: HHJ
I'm not sure Cris Cyborg had ever fought someone who had actual KO power before. Why play it safe defensively in anyway if you've never really been in danger? Period.

Do you think instead of going in guns blazing that a patient Cyborg would have beaten Nunes?
Or do you think Amanda had completely surpassed Cyborgs skillset and was better everywhere regardless of Cyborgs gameplan? Cyborgs ground game can be brutal when she uses it

tumblr_pkm89e0fRI1v6w3juo3_500.gifv
tumblr_pkm89e0fRI1v6w3juo1_500.gif

I think rematch goes to cyborg. Nunes had power but she literally had her eyes shut while throwing the one that landed. I didn't have confidence she could do it again and was blown away the UFC couldn't make the fight.

What were Cyborgs other ways to win? She wasn’t subbing Nunes and it’s not like Cyborg was some kind of point fighting master. Not to say that she COULDNT have won a decision but I don’t think she was really any more likely than Amanda to win one, she only had 3 decision wins up to that point. Two of them were very early on in her career and the other was against Holm who isn’t really known to push the pace. So while I know Amanda has had gas tank issues I don’t think Cris was on much better footing than her in that department.

I get what you’re saying but I think Amanda had just as many ways to win as Cyborg. The difference was she actually did one of them.
The fact that I’ve seen Amanda break and fold several times.

I’ve seen Cyborg get caught once, which can happen to anyone, but I’ve never seen her quit, gas or break like Amanda vs Pena, Cat and Davis.

So yeah I have a tough time imagining Amanda beating her in any other way than a quick knockout while both are fresh.

If cyborg wanted the fight all she had to do was cut a little more but she didn’t want to go off the juice and give up the unnatural size and muscular strength she has. Without a Ronda vs Cyborg fight Ronda is an all time great and Cyborg is a juiced can crusher with a resume full of smaller fighters.

Without a Ronda vs Cyborg fight Ronda is an all time great and Cyborg is a juiced can crusher with a resume full of smaller fighters.
Who did Ronda crush that wasn't a can? UFC 135 was stacked with cans. In fact as soon as some competent strikers came along, she lost in devastating fashion and quit. Cyborg is herself a devastating striker who has a legit ground game which is Ronda's undoing. Remember how Cyborg worked Holly over the course of 5 rounds? Cyborg would have done to Ronda what Holly did to Ronda except perhaps even more savagely. Ronda had very good reason to avoid Cyborg like the plague and the Holm and Nunes fights show why.

Who did Ronda crush that wasn't a can? UFC 135 was stacked with cans. In fact as soon as some competent strikers came along, she lost in devastating fashion and quit. Cyborg is herself a devastating striker who has a legit ground game which is Ronda's undoing. Remember how Cyborg worked Holly over the course of 5 rounds? Cyborg would have done to Ronda what Holly did to Ronda except perhaps even more savagely. Ronda had very good reason to avoid Cyborg like the plague and the Holm and Nunes fights show why.
Holly is a 135 fighter so thanks for proving my point.

Holly is a 135 fighter so thanks for proving my point.
Actually she fought three times at 145 in the UFC and of course spent her entire boxing career at welterweight and light middleweight (147-154) but...so what was your point? I forgot.

The fact that I’ve seen Amanda break and fold several times.

I’ve seen Cyborg get caught once, which can happen to anyone, but I’ve never seen her quit, gas or break like Amanda vs Pena, Cat and Davis.

So yeah I have a tough time imagining Amanda beating her in any other way than a quick knockout while both are fresh.
I think the cut to 135 is hard on Amanda, I could be wrong here but I don’t recall her having cardio issues at 145. Even at bantamweight her biggest issues came against strong grapplers who wore her down, outside of Peña which occured years later.

It’s hard to estimate where Cyborgs cardio was at, her fights tended to be short but more importantly they tended to involve her being the hammer which is far less tiring than being the nail. So it’s tough for me be confident in her cardio in a bout that’s likely to be back and forth, where she can’t just overwhelm her opponent.

Overall I’d put them about even in terms of their ability to output damage down the stretch.

Back