Would a more cautious Cyborg have beaten Amanda Nunes?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm not sure Cris Cyborg had ever fought someone who had actual KO power before. Why play it safe defensively in anyway if you've never really been in danger? Period.

Do you think instead of going in guns blazing that a patient Cyborg would have beaten Nunes?
Or do you think Amanda had completely surpassed Cyborgs skillset and was better everywhere regardless of Cyborgs gameplan? Cyborgs ground game can be brutal when she uses it

tumblr_pkm89e0fRI1v6w3juo3_500.gifv
tumblr_pkm89e0fRI1v6w3juo1_500.gif

No, at that point in time, Amanda was an unstoppable murderer in the cage.

Yes, Cyborg is the better fighter and just got careless against the only other fighter with real finishing power. Nunes had exactly one way to win and she pulled it off. I’d pick Cyborg to beat her 8/10 times.

Cyborg has made a career out of beating truck stop waitresses because she hits hard and is strong. You need more than hitting hard to beat Amanda. Those winging, round house-style punches fare poorly when you slug it out with someone throwing straight punches- the straight punches get there first; shorter distance.

Cyborg did make a mistake getting into a firefight with Amanda, but she wouldn't have won anyway. Amanda has better skills all over the place. Val may well have beaten Cyborg before her recent decline.

It's possible, it's hard to make any definite statement on how a rematch would go based off a 1 minute fight where Cyborg went full blown reckless. She's looked more patient since that fight though, that's for sure.

A rematch would've been interesting. Not a fight where if Nunes starts to lose on the feet she can use her size/strength to just hold cyborg down and lay for 25 minutes.

Cyborg comfortably outboxed Holly Holm for 5 rounds in a very technical Holly style fight and she gets little credit for being technical but Cyborg isn't just a big person only relying on size like most people try to suggest.

I know Nunes KO'd Cyborg but seeing how she shelled up against Pena it's hard seeing Nunes deal with the pressure Cyborg can bring too with her striking and grappling. I feel like round 1 will always be 50/50 or even in favour of Nunes since Nunes is faster and her push kick and right hand are fast enough to crack Cyborg with the potential for a finish and get her off balance early but outside of round 1 I feel like Cyborg has always done a good job of building and would gain momentum as Nunes fades.

Fight was so short, but you can see Cyborg was the agresor first and was backing Nunes against the fence, playing rockem sockem with her was a BAD idea.

Back