Worst Admitted Game Plans

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by DaveHilly, Feb 24, 2016.

  1. DaveHilly

    DaveHilly Black Belt

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2010
    Messages:
    5,676
    Likes Received:
    1,741
    I was just watching a top five Anderson KOs and it got me thinking about some of the worst game plans that fighters have admitted to have used during fights. The two most salient to me are these:

    Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin 1.

    Franklin went on record to say that part of his game plan was to get Anderson to get him into the thai plum clinch because he thought he'd be able to capitalize from there. He went on to getting kneed in the face immediately which lead to the end of the fight.

    Link

    Dominick Cruz vs. TJ Dillishaw

    After the fight TJ's coach Duane Ludwig came out and said that part of the game plan was to swing at air to set up other shots. This seems ridiculous looking back as Cruz's best shots and takedowns came off of TJ swinging at air and leaving himself prone to a suddenly charging Cruz.

    Link

    What are some other crazy game plans that fighters have mentioned after their fights? Are there any times where they turned out to be successful?
     
  2. Leinster Rugby

    Leinster Rugby Black Belt

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2015
    Messages:
    5,830
    Likes Received:
    19,243
    Location:
    Dublin and Wicklow (Wicklow's beautiful)
    "I learned how to stop the take down but I forgot about getting punched in the face"!

    Ken Florian
     
    Mike, basedgodfedor, Pkharmat and 8 others like this.
  3. M Raid K

    M Raid K Black Belt

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2014
    Messages:
    5,951
    Likes Received:
    2,932
    Sam Alvey said that he was planning to eat shots from Cezar Ferreira to eventually land his own. Basical brawler mentality, but he took it to the extreme level. I remember watching this and thinking "omg, Ferreira is destroying him" and of a sudden it was over after the first combination Alvey threw.
     
    SKITZADACTYL and MagnusGOAT like this.
  4. Kneepocalypse

    Kneepocalypse This is your god now.

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2013
    Messages:
    10,945
    Likes Received:
    12,007
    Location:
    Swag Central aka Swagiyama
    Franklin the king of gameplans, telling Serra to drop to one knee lol.
     
  5. RoscoeRufus

    RoscoeRufus Lineal Pootie Tang Belt Champion

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2014
    Messages:
    3,002
    Likes Received:
    1,153
    Location:
    Training with Whis
    wondering how many times Tarverdyan gets mentioned in this thread...
     
  6. HoosTrax

    HoosTrax White Belt

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2016
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    53
    Cat Zingano:

     
  7. DaveHilly

    DaveHilly Black Belt

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2010
    Messages:
    5,676
    Likes Received:
    1,741
    I saw that when I was looking for that old quote. Why did he tell him to do that? I'm guessing that was in TUF 4 but I never saw it.

    Haha how did I forget about the Holm Rousey fight!
     
    RoscoeRufus likes this.
  8. Melas Chasma

    Melas Chasma Red Belt

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2013
    Messages:
    8,669
    Likes Received:
    8,483
    Penn against Edgar 3.
     
  9. Melas Chasma

    Melas Chasma Red Belt

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2013
    Messages:
    8,669
    Likes Received:
    8,483
    There was nothing wrong in Cats flying knee. Just because Ronda capitalized it masterfully doesnt mean it was a bad move from Cat. People only say that because they hate to give Ronda the credit she deserves.
     
    Green Poncho, A.S. Deep and bubby like this.
  10. SimonNova

    SimonNova Sire of Sin

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2012
    Messages:
    24,634
    Likes Received:
    32,489
    Location:
    Qc City
    Zingano said something hilarious after that 14 secs debacle vs Ronda. I dont remember what she said exactly, it was like 'I never thought she would want to grapple' or something like that.

    Edit : saw the post a bit above. LOL.
     
    Thepaintbucket likes this.
  11. DaveHilly

    DaveHilly Black Belt

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2010
    Messages:
    5,676
    Likes Received:
    1,741
    Part of what makes a game plan horrible is what your opponent is likely to do in response, though. We've seen in the past that Ronda is amazing at pulling off armbars out of nowhere in scrambles/transition. This was a foreseeable outcome.
     
  12. HHJ

    HHJ Jeg reiser til mørkets dyp der alt er dødt.

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2004
    Messages:
    68,270
    Likes Received:
    56,091
    Serra/Lytle
     
  13. BisexualMMA

    BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    35,767
    Likes Received:
    67,176
    Location:
    Super Fight League Corporate HQ
    After Bellator 149, Kimbo and his team admitted that his second round strategy of dropping to his knees and trying to distract Dada 5000 with fellatio was ill-conceived. He was lucky to get the win IMO.
     
  14. SimonNova

    SimonNova Sire of Sin

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2012
    Messages:
    24,634
    Likes Received:
    32,489
    Location:
    Qc City
    Rushing forward and throwing a flying knee at the beginning of a fight is basically 5% chance of a knockout and 95% chance at ending up at clinch range without proper balance. A sound gameplan vs a non sweety judo blackbelt who produces armbars from her ass.
     
  15. chubbman

    chubbman Yellow Card

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2011
    Messages:
    9,713
    Likes Received:
    9,055
    Location:
    UK
    Cat admitted to not thinking Ronda would go for the arm. That's just piss poor preparation leading to a shitty game plan.
     
    IrritatedTomcat and TheRealWill like this.
  16. Boyka

    Boyka Purple Belt

    Joined:
    May 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,156
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Miesha Tate vs Ronda Rousey 2.

    After getting tossed over and over again, Tate still tries to clinch with Rousey to try and take her down.
     
  17. FeloniousMonk

    FeloniousMonk Red Belt

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2013
    Messages:
    9,925
    Likes Received:
    9,365
    Location:
    LA
    I remember the prefight build
    up for Jorgensom's title shot
    in the WEC against cruz.

    When asked what his gameplan
    was, homeboy legit said,
    "I don't need one. I'll adapt."

    What followed was just about
    the Cruziest of all Cruz fights ever
     
    chipsnbbqsauce likes this.
  18. FeloniousMonk

    FeloniousMonk Red Belt

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2013
    Messages:
    9,925
    Likes Received:
    9,365
    Location:
    LA
    "If you come across rogan's
    head, you've gone too far. Now
    posture up & get your arm out
    of there!"
     
    mudrubble likes this.
  19. Richard Fannin

    Richard Fannin Hammer House Time

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,727
    Likes Received:
    539
    Location:
    Coleman's porch
    "I didn't realize we were going to do a jiu-jitsu match"
    "I agreed to her kind of fight instead of my kind of fight"

    kek, IDGAF about WMMA so I missed this gem, this chick is either a very sore loser or very stupid.
    Damn, you're a pro MMA fighter who just fought for the title in the biggest org in the world and you release a statement like that?
    That makes you and your trainers look like morons.

    Also, "worst admitted game plan.... before a fight" : Fujita before Wand
    "I don't know how I'll beat Wanderlei, I don't see any way to win so I'll rely on my thick skull and hope he gasses kicking me" (not exact quote, but it was something like that)
     
  20. Melas Chasma

    Melas Chasma Red Belt

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2013
    Messages:
    8,669
    Likes Received:
    8,483
    Why you feel need to say "beginning of a fight", like that makes somekind of difference? It was a flying knee and thats it, fighters do that all the time and it doesnt matter at which point in a fight you throw it. If anything, the beginning is the safest time, since the opponent havent got time yet to get comfortable your movement and range and the chance it doesnt get countered is higher than later in fight. And if getting yourself inside a range where your opponent is at her/his best is enough to call that move stupid, by that criteria I could point out million "stupid moves" from fighters in almost every fight ever happened.

    People act like the flying knee ended the fight. It was the masterpiece 10 sec performance from Ronda right after that which resulted Cat losing, not the knee. Fighters put themselves in potentially and theoritically dangerous positions ALL THE TIME in fights, it was all Ronda and her skills which made all the difference against Cat.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.