Worst Admitted Game Plans

Why you feel need to say "beginning of a fight", like that makes somekind of difference? It was a flying knee and thats it, fighters do that all the time and it doesnt matter at which point in a fight you throw it.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm in your post, it does make a difference depending on who you're fighting.

Running straight at Ronda when Cat is dry and Ronda is at full strength is going to make it a lot easier for Ronda to control and throw her.

Why you feel need to say "beginning of a fight", like that makes somekind of difference? It was a flying knee and thats it, fighters do that all the time and it doesnt matter at which point in a fight you throw it. If anything, the beginning is the safest time, since the opponent havent got time yet to get comfortable your movement and range and the chance it doesnt get countered is higher than later in fight. And if getting yourself inside a range where your opponent is at her/his best is enough to call that move stupid, by that criteria I could point out million "stupid moves" from fighters in almost every fight ever happened.

People act like the flying knee ended the fight. It was the masterpiece 10 sec performance from Ronda right after that which resulted Cat losing, not the knee. Fighters put themselves in potentially and theoritically dangerous positions ALL THE TIME in fights, it was all Ronda and her skills which made all the difference against Cat.
Loisestrad's alternate account.

Anyway. Part of a gameplay is understanding potential bumps in the road, and Zingano not understanding that she would be serving herself up on a platter if she missed with the knee is why it was horrible idea. It's not a discredit to Ronda to acknowledge this.

Quite the opposite. It's more a testament to Cat's approach to fighting, which includes no game planning, not stududying her opponents, and not listening to her corner. She literally gave Ronda the win. Ronda didn't even break a sweat. To beat Ronda, you have to take her out of her comfort zone like Holly did. Zingano literally rushed into Ronda's bread and butter and paid the price.

There was nothing wrong in Cats flying knee. Just because Ronda capitalized it masterfully doesnt mean it was a bad move from Cat. People only say that because they hate to give Ronda the credit she deserves.

Loisestrad's alternate account.

Anyway. Part of a gameplay is understanding potential bumps in the road, and Zingano not understanding that she would be serving herself up on a platter if she missed with the knee is why it was horrible idea. It's not a discredit to Ronda to acknowledge this.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm in your post, it does make a difference depending on who you're fighting.

Running straight at Ronda when Cat is dry and Ronda is at full strength is going to make it a lot easier for Ronda to control and throw her.

By your criteria we could call every exchange ever thrown against Rumble on the feet the "stupidest game plan ever". The only reason people talk about that knee is because it happened to end in to a finish on that particular time. Had the knee ended nothing like it very likely would have a vast majority of the time in a long run, no-one whould have said anything. This is all hindsight and the critique of that knee at the time grew way out of proportion. And the main reason for that was people just hated Ronda.

Pretty much same happened with Conor vs Aldo. It wasnt a stupid move by Aldo, he had done that combo many times in the past without getting countered like that. It was all about Conor and his skills. Fans who were hoping to see Conor losing were just disappointed in Aldo and wanted to find a way to discredit Conor`s performance and the only way to do that was in Aldos expence. This happens all the time when a fighter has a lot of haters, people struggle being objective and unbiased.

But we can agree to disagree, Im done. Have a nice day.

I saw that when I was looking for that old quote. Why did he tell him to do that? I'm guessing that was in TUF 4 but I never saw it.
yeah it was from TUF 4. and I don't think anyone ever figured out what the hell he meant by it, it's a mystery to this day.

Why you feel need to say "beginning of a fight", like that makes somekind of difference? It was a flying knee and thats it, fighters do that all the time and it doesnt matter at which point in a fight you throw it. If anything, the beginning is the safest time, since the opponent havent got time yet to get comfortable your movement and range and the chance it doesnt get countered is higher than later in fight. And if getting yourself inside a range where your opponent is at her/his best is enough to call that move stupid, by that criteria I could point out million "stupid moves" from fighters in almost every fight ever happened.

People act like the flying knee ended the fight. It was the masterpiece 10 sec performance from Ronda right after that which resulted Cat losing, not the knee. Fighters put themselves in potentially and theoritically dangerous positions ALL THE TIME in fights, it was all Ronda and her skills which made all the difference against Cat.

I mentionned beginning of the fight because at this point theres no sweat, which helps the grappler in the clinch or in the sub attempt. Ffs do I need to explain everything. Cat went stupid in the wink of an eye AND Ronda capitalized masterfully. Because we said Cat failed big time it doesnt take away all credit from Ronda. Being opportunistic is the mark of a champion usually. So stop the whining for a bit and go watch Holly tool Ronda, it should bring you comfort.

There was nothing wrong in Cats flying knee. Just because Ronda capitalized it masterfully doesnt mean it was a bad move from Cat. People only say that because they hate to give Ronda the credit she deserves.
well generally these kinds of threads are going to be hampered w hindsight bias - if it worked, it was great / genius, if it didnt, you were an idiot w a bad gameplan - same thing happens w ko artists, when they win they are amazing / brilliant, when they lose they are stupid and have no defense

Recently Hendricks thinking that a half step forward or half step back would let him avoid all strikes from the greatest striker he's ever faced, who also happens to be notorious for throwing strikes at ranges that should be impossible.

It was quite satisfying seeing him crumple and me win my bet.

This. I was a fan of guida until I saw that fight and I'm sure guida lost a ton of fans that night what a pussy

That was one of the craziest moments in MMA in an understated way, as far as career trajectory changes for a relatively unhyped but popular fighter.

Michael Johnson swinging and missing more times in a fight than I can ever remember. As if he did not realize he was fighting Diaz. And then the in-fight adjustments were non-existent. He was missing the same punches in round 3 as he was in round 1. Coach should be embarrassed.

Michael Johnson swinging and missing more times in a fight than I can ever remember. As if he did not realize he was fighting Diaz. And then the in-fight adjustments were non-existent. He was missing the same punches in round 3 as he was in round 1. Coach should be embarrassed.
He should have wrestled idt he shot in once for a takedown

I forget his name and I'm too lazy to look it up but Nick Diaz had an opponent in his first UFC run (Asian fighter) who had suposedly been practicing catching punches prior to the fight

... It didn't work.

Back