Worried For Nate Marquardt

doomy200

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Even though he has had a very bad run at 170 lately, I still think Nate Marquardt is way better off there.

He's moving back to 185 and fighting Te Huna who is really powerful and looks much bigger.

Nate could beat most of the 170 lb'ers in the world imo. He lost to 3 top 10 guys, (maybe Terec isn't top 10, not sure) and a guy who I think is going to be the next champ in Lombard.

He could be in trouble with the Te Huna fight, and I hope he can turn his career around. I just think he belongs at 170. 185 has changed a lot since he left.

I don't see how it could be any worse. At least there's hope that not cutting all the weight will let him take a shot better.

I don't see how it could be any worse. At least there's hope that not cutting all the weight will let him take a shot better.

I just think Te Huna is a different animal compared to the lower tier 170 guys who Nate should be fighting, and could definitely beat imo

Nasty Nate hasn't been cut a break.

They give him top opponents every time out.

Thing is, he's a top fighter, they should give him a confidence builder like a Tim Boetsch.

Nasty Nate hasn't been cut a break.

They give him top opponents every time out.

Thing is, he's a top fighter, they should give him a confidence builder like a Tim Boetsch.

Im not even sure if he'd beat Boestch now. Sounds weird but who the hell thought he'd lose to Tarec.

Agreed, he has been knocked out by WW's several times (WW ko artists that is) and now he's facing a striker dropping from LHW.

We'll see.

Even though he has had a very bad run at 170 lately, I still think Nate Marquardt is way better off there.

He's moving back to 185 and fighting Te Huna who is really powerful and looks much bigger.

Nate could beat most of the 170 lb'ers in the world imo. He lost to 3 top 10 guys, (maybe Terec isn't top 10, not sure) and a guy who I think is going to be the next champ in Lombard.

He could be in trouble with the Te Huna fight, and I hope he can turn his career around. I just think he belongs at 170. 185 has changed a lot since he left.

Te Huna looks much bigger because he's been fighting at 205 prior to this fight. His last two opponents were Shogun and Glover.

I really can't see Marquardt coming out the winner in this one. Since joining the UFC, Te Huna's only lost to former champions or title challengers (Shogun, Glover and Gus).

He should retire

Agreed.

If he gets cut, WSOF will be waiting. Its a Main Event fight, back at 185. Even if he loses I think they give him another shot.

I don't favor him for sure, but never know how Te Huna will look at 185. But if he looks how I think he might, Nate probably gets knocked out.

Could be rough on the feet, but I dunno. He's a vet and has a good ground game. I kinda feel like you're over-valuing Te Huna just because of size. Who has Te Huna really beat that makes you say he's a shoo-in against a guy like Nate?

Nates got all the skill in the world but hes been fighting for 15 yrs and his chin looks shot.

I think Nate wins this pretty easily, Te Huna has some power but he isn't particularly technical or explosive. Ellenberger and Lombard are much more dangerous imo. Anyone see the fight between Te Huna and Lombard? I like James but the only way he wins this is if Nate lets him tee off and completely forgets that he's allowed to grapple. Even on the feet Nate should have a vast technical advantage

Im not even sure if he'd beat Boestch now. Sounds weird but who the hell thought he'd lose to Tarec.
Tarec is a really solid, smart fighter.

Nate might be on a 3-fight losing skid, but he's been fighting very skilled and dangerous fighters in Ellenberger, Saffiedine, and Lombard. No idea where he is mentally, but I think he can still pull off a few good wins.

Te Huna may actually murder him

I just think Te Huna is a different animal compared to the lower tier 170 guys who Nate should be fighting, and could definitely beat imo

Nate is a pretty talented fighter. He has beat a lot of good guys at 185. Im sure he will be 'bulked' back up for this fight too. Plus 185 is just a weaker weight class. I think he will do well and I hope he stays there. He dropped to 170 because he had no chance of a title run anywhere in the near future. He got beat up at 170, why not go back to 185?

I remember when Wilson Gouveia dropped to middleweight and everyone was saying he would be too big for Nate but he tko'd Wilson with a ninja esque combo. James might be slightly larger than Gouveia but he is also significantly less skilled in all areas

Back