Worlds strongest man??

aries said:
He got locked up for killing someone in a car crash whilst he was drunk.
Why in the fuck did they let him out?

Also: Scandinavians are freaking beasts. It has to be a legacy of Viking culture, but I know almost nothing about this subject.

Madmick said:
Also: Scandinavians are freaking beasts. It has to be a legacy of Viking culture, but I know almost nothing about this subject.

I dunno man, there proud of their heritage and dont want to let their people down, one of my best friends is a foreign exchange student from sweden, he's not even really into lifting much, but when I mentioned magnus samuelson, he said immediately "I respect him, he is a hero", plus their culture is less flambouyant and not as like "I'm way more intellectual than you are", like many of the people here.....anywho I was saddened not to see Svend, Samuelson, Zydrunis, and all those guys...the competition seemed like it was missing something without these guys...anyway, I thought it was funny when the bald dude from iceland goes "icelandiic powerrrr!"....

PariahCarey said:
When i hear a name like Samuelson and Svend i think viking ships and Dungeons and Dragons.

i think of Samson.

anyone seen Samuelsson's dvds? im trying to find them.

Madmick said:

Us Scandinavians are complex. If you only see us on the daytime you would think we are the most shy and orderly boring fucks you ever have seen. But when the beer comes out.. Thats when the viking feast begins...;)

Us Scandinavians are complex. If you only see us on the daytime you would think we are the most shy and orderly boring fucks you ever have seen. But when the beer comes out.. Thats when the viking feast begins...;)

Great response. And I agree. I've known a couple Scandanavians in my time (huge fan of Black Metal), and this is completely accurate. I have a friend who is even American but with heavy Scandanavian blood and he's exactly the same way. It's hilarious, people think he's so quiet and orderly, but all you have to do is either get him drinking or piss him off and heads WILL roll.

Magnus Samuelson is one of my favorite athletes of all-time period. I think out of all the people to compete in the WSM he is by far one of the outright toughest. Even in the twilight of his career there were certain events he just could not be beaten at unless something freaky happened (Atlas Stones), and events where he would surprise the shit out of people (safe-lift in 2004), even when they thought he was at a complete dis-advantage. The dude's focus is amazing. I even think his brother had a lot of potential if he wanted to.

I can't believe not seeing Savickas and Vasil Virastyuk in WSM 2005. Vasil especially is mad crazy explosively strong and one of the bigger guys. Hugo Girard not making it also surprising.

How on earth do people like Kevin Nee get a pass while those 3 I mentioned are mia? Is WSM a private do-whatever-they-want invite-only competition? I remembered hearing that Dougie Edmunds has some weird deal where he gets to referee every event.

The Chinese entrant was ridiculously small. Only 230 and finished dead last in every event. I don't mind seeing local home town competitors but I thought they would've managed to cull a better competitor out of 1 billion.

The Chinese entrant was ridiculously small. Only 230 and finished dead last in every event. I don't mind seeing local home town competitors but I thought they would've managed to cull a better competitor out of 1 billion.

Dude that guy was strong as shit for someone that small who had never really trained with that apparatus before. Also, the Chinese crowds were awesome, the strongmen were very well-received and I'm sure they appreciated such good feedback. Strength-athletics being almost purely underground in the States. I mean even the GNC Show of Strength and the Arnold Events get minimal reporting.

Is WSM a private do-whatever-they-want invite-only competition?

Absolutely. There is a lot of favoratism in this sort of event. If you couldn't tell by the God-worship of Mariusz. Not that Mariusz isn't deserving of accolades, but sometimes some of the things they say are just a but out-of-hand.

Madmick said:
Why in the fuck did they let him out?

He did 18 mths I think. Well if Poland is anything like here then the car is the perfect murder weapon cause you can murder someone and not even get manslaughter. And probably cause he's the biggest thing in Poland might have helped.

I'd just like to say Don Reinhoudt is FUCKING AWESOME. Possibly the best powerlifter ever IMO. He's really one of my "hero's" in the sport. When people piss on my goal of 2600+ raw, I point out that Don did 2400+ rawdawg in the 70's, and 30 years later I should be able to put a few lbs on that.

As far as PL, it's WORSE than boxing. There are so many PL feds all you have to do to get a record is look around enough for a fed that has no record in your division for weight/age whatever. A number of factors were listed as far as differences in PL comparison. For example, I squat 700 in just a belt and wraps. How does that compare to a guy a who squats 850 wearing a canvas suit and squat briefs? It's apples and oranges, and while I tend to side with raw lifters I'm also biased and there is no real way to tell. I think the drug issues and monolift issues are overblown by IPF lifters, but the equipent and judging makes a massive difference. In the IPA you can get away with squatting 2-3" above parallel (if you disagree, just look around on irongame.com) in the IPF, you had BEST put that shit 2-3" BELOW parallel. So Garry Frank has the highest total with 2800, but he competes in a fed that allows double ply gear, and has looser judging. Siders has done over 2500 in the IPF I believe. Both are kings of powerlifting, but you can't say one is better than the other per say. To make it more complicated even the feds have mixed types of lifters. I've known denim shirt benchers who push 800lb who have no trouble benching in the mid 600's raw, others that would be lucky to crack 5 bills raw.

i didn't know that the powerlifting world was so confused!

Confused it is my man. That's what I was saying, I'd really hate to see something like that happen to strongman.

The split in powerlifting is not only confusing, it causes a lot of bitterness and ugliness between lifters of "rival" federations (the APF and the USAPL are very stand offish in many cases).

People need to remember that all this shit is about showcasing the athletes and more importantly their outstanding abilities. Creating "beefs" between different groups and forcing the worlds best to compete on different stages robs not only the fans, but the competitors as well IMO.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but the over federalization of PL is a sore spot for me, and I'd really really hate to see this kind of shit go on in strongman.

Oh, just another bit of WSM screw-jobbage, Super Kaz was not invited back after his third win. As far as I know to this day he's not been given a reason for his lack of an invite, let alone an apology.

thats strange, how old was kaz after that third victory?...not that it really makes a difference just curious...

CarnalSalvation said:
Oh, just another bit of WSM screw-jobbage, Super Kaz was not invited back after his third win. As far as I know to this day he's not been given a reason for his lack of an invite, let alone an apology.

I thought someone hypocritically pointed him out as a ... get this ... "steroid abuser". :mad:

You could be correct Shoalin Bushido, that's why I said "as far as I know". I've only heard a few personal statements about it (including an obviously biased blurb from Kaz himself).

If that were the case, I'd think there would have been more of an uproar since he held all the IPF world records at SHW.

I remember an old thread here where guys were asking about which strongmen were using some type of steroid-ical help and someone, maybe Carnal said, "well take a look at the leader board ... there you are".

All I know is, Mariuscz is one strong muhfukka!(he looked a little less Mariuscz-like though)

nhbfan8080 said:
I can't believe not seeing Savickas and Vasil Virastyuk in WSM 2005. Vasil especially is mad crazy explosively strong and one of the bigger guys. Hugo Girard not making it also surprising.

How on earth do people like Kevin Nee get a pass while those 3 I mentioned are mia? Is WSM a private do-whatever-they-want invite-only competition? I remembered hearing that Dougie Edmunds has some weird deal where he gets to referee every event.

Hugo can't stay up there forever. The smallest dimensions I've seen on a contender in WSM is about 5'8 in height and about 265lbs in weight.

My favorite lifter ever is Juoko Ahoula ... he was cock strong for his size ... or any size!

Back