Worlds strongest man??

sambo fighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Im watching the worlds strongest man comp on espn 2 right now. Does anyone know why savicis, vasil varistuck, magnus samulson, svend karlson, raymonds bergmanus and all of the other strongman stars are. The only ones I know are pudzanouski, jessie murande, don pope, and jarek dimic. Theres more no names here than a world series of poker final table. What the fuck?

I know what you mean. I only recognized pudzanouski, and vertenin. I did see Jouko Ahola was one of the spotters.

It's because the MetRx WSM didn't want them to compete due to the IFSA associations, or vice versa. Can't remember which.

Either way, as a powerlifter I've witness what splintering the talent base can do, and it's ugly. Strongman must remain united if it wants to stay on the track that it's taking (and that's to new heights of performance for the sport, and new popularity).

Not seeing Savickas vs. Pudz is as bad as not being able to see Brian Siders and Garry Frank go head to head like in PL, because of all the federations it's much tougher to make a direct comparison, and more than one person can claim to be the best.

Magnus Samuelsson & Svend Karlsen have been around for a while & both have won this competition in the past. Usually, the Scandinavian countries are successful. The Americans haven't done that well, but maybe they haven't always sent their best guy to represent them.

uhhh.... I dunno if you're aware big one, but an american got 2nd place in 2005. Ever heard of Marunde? may be worth looking into to advance your expertise on the subject,

To be honest I've only watched the comp a few times, from 2000-02, I think, & I remembered the Northern Europeans dominating. Perhaps things have changed since then?

Im thinking a lot of people are reading Sambo fighters post the way I read it when I glanced through it, your not wondering who Samuelson and Svend are but where right?

And yes its a shame to divide up such a small sport. Same with mma, should be positive to see all the top fighters compete, even though you allways can say thats competition is something good ofcourse..

When i hear a name like Samuelson and Svend i think viking ships and Dungeons and Dragons.

With the words of Svend; Viking pooower!!!

Urban said:
uhhh.... I dunno if you're aware big one, but an american got 2nd place in 2005. Ever heard of Marunde? may be worth looking into to advance your expertise on the subject,

its great that marunde placed 2nd, as a successful american can only do good for the sport. but im not sure if he could hang on to a top 5 place if the federerations were re-united. think about it, karlsen, varistyk, savickis, magnusson and bergmanis. by the way, where is hugo gerrad competing? i know hes still injured and i saw him as a referee in a met-rx comp.

CarnalSalvation said:
It's because the MetRx WSM didn't want them to compete due to the IFSA associations, or vice versa. Can't remember which.

Either way, as a powerlifter I've witness what splintering the talent base can do, and it's ugly. Strongman must remain united if it wants to stay on the track that it's taking (and that's to new heights of performance for the sport, and new popularity).

Not seeing Savickas vs. Pudz is as bad as not being able to see Brian Siders and Garry Frank go head to head like in PL, because of all the federations it's much tougher to make a direct comparison, and more than one person can claim to be the best.

How can more than one person claim to be the best in powerlifting. Numbers are numbers aren't they? How different are the rules? Its not boxing we're talking about here.

Svend has the Viking power. Svend Karlsen kicks ass. Check out his workout on his site. GOOGLE his name.

#1can said:
How can more than one person claim to be the best in powerlifting. Numbers are numbers aren't they? How different are the rules? Its not boxing we're talking about here.

Drug tested versus open meets. Different allowances on what gear can be used. Monolift squats versus walking it out of the stands. Squat depth judging. The type of bar used can make a difference on the deadlift. That's just a few off the top of my head.

I used to go to the same gym as Don Reinhoudt. He's in a bunch of those competitions from the '70s. Really nice guy...big as a friggin' house. I've seen him in McDonalds with 4 trays of food. He's retired now, so he'd go around and put on shows at elementary schools in the area...the kids love him. He'll lift 10 of them in the air at a time then blow up hot water bottles.

Dash_Riprock said:
Drug tested versus open meets. Different allowances on what gear can be used. Monolift squats versus walking it out of the stands. Squat depth judging. The type of bar used can make a difference on the deadlift. That's just a few off the top of my head.

Fair enough, i was asking honestly.

Carnal I have the same question as Urban, what are your thoughts on Marunde? He looked awesome, and hung pretty well with Mariusz. What amazed me moreso is that he didn't look all that much bigger than he was in 2000, but he looked in much better conditioning and just altogether more focused and good, like he specifically trained with the proper apparatus to succeed.

Even without the big-name vets I was impressed by all of the Americans that showed up. Pope, Otslund was good for this being his first year (and I think he said he's only been a Powerlifter for a year) and being just 24, then there was that 20 year-old kid Nee who seems to have a lot of potential. I thought he'd get blown out but he did decent for his age and size.

its great that marunde placed 2nd, as a successful american can only do good for the sport. but im not sure if he could hang on to a top 5 place if the federerations were re-united. think about it, karlsen, varistyk, savickis, magnusson and bergmanis. by the way, where is hugo gerrad competing? i know hes still injured and i saw him as a referee in a met-rx comp.

Marunde has and can hang with all of those guys. Hell even Mariusz said next year Jesse is going to be a big problem for him to defeat. That's saying a lot because usually Mariusz is pretty confident even with Zydrunas, Karlson, and everyone else in the running.

savickis has always pushed mariusz very close, all the way. karlson i think might be passed it but varistyk looks like the new mariusz. hes fast if not faster than him and is better at the absolute tests of strength, although savickis is still the king of that. marunde really shocked me at how explosive he was in the log press and is a top stone lifter. but i still think hes lacking a little compared to the others

thecreator said:
Why didn't mariusz pudzianowski compete in 2001?

He got locked up for killing someone in a car crash whilst he was drunk.

Back