World facing first mass extinction since the dinosaurs-wildlife populations plunges by 67% in 50 yrs

Good thread, important issue. I live in China, where the environment is total shit. CO2 is the least of my concerns.

800px-CO2-Temp.png

the climate didnt exist for almost the entire history of the universe moron.

our earth is a gift. a winning lottery ticket, of staggering odds. its not our birth right. it is our luck.

normality in this universe does not support us. anywhere, but this brief flash of time in this tiny little rock.
1. Do you actually believe that an accurate temperature record exists going back to 1000 CE? Cores and rings are highly granular and comparisons with modern thermometers are fraught with problems.

2. What is your evidence that average surface warming of 1 degree over 100 years portends danger?

hi again Thunder,

i'm assuming that this was all just data that you carry within your head, due to your expertise on the topic (though it sounds alot like a copy paste from Randall Carlson that you present as your own thinking).

if so, that's great. what is the upper threshold of an open body of water's capacity to absorb carbon dioxide in relation to the onset of acidification?

i'm curious. in various parts of the world, we're obviously already there. is there some point where we'd be facing a cascade effect where the damage increases at an exponential rate?

i think this is what folks call a strawman, my friend. no one has said that world leaders need to embark on a crusade to banish all levels of Co2 from the atmosphere.

that all depends, Thunder. if we can safely pump more greenhouse gases into atmosphere and the margins are broad - i'd say we don't have much to worry about.

if we're meandering our way to a mass extinction, then maybe not. i'm having a hard time grasping the benefits of maintaining our "modern civilization" if the end result is a spoiled planet.

we've already agreed that without government regulatory guidelines, nothing is going to change (if change indeed is needed).

you can apply that reasoning to just about anything. if we have no speed limits on highways, then some folks are going to drive 55...some will drive 70...some are going to drive 80...and some will pass you in an unrecognizable blur.

the problem here might be my age.

when i was in high school, the idea that greenhouse gases trap heat wasn't exactly a controversial thing...it was just bland, boring, 'ol fact.

- IGIT

Yes it was Randall Carlson. Yes CO2 traps heat. But as shown it's a miniscule amount. There isn't any science proving that slightly increasing one variable is going to kill everyone. All the predictive models were wrong. Yes I agree we need some regulation for habitat destruction. That doesn't mean I support the war being fought on American energy and how American businesses are crippled by the EPA. Meanwhile China is free to destroy the environment, pollute, and at the same time cheaply export products to the USA. It's a rigged system that I don't see helping anything. But I clearly see it breaking down Americas middle class.

I do support aspects of the EPA, I don't support it fully and blindly.

Last edited:
You lost all credibility trying to tie a 2000 year old quote to what is happening now.

Hi LGBT,

You were correct, I stand corrected. I know chemical landfills are the primary disposal form of chemical waste.

Why is it so important to sign you name when your name is posted to the left of your text and in the quoted message?

-Blackened (in case you were wondering)
Dude, you got owned. Accept your loss with dignity and move on.

Yes I agree we need some regulation for habitat destruction. That doesn't mean I support the war being fought on American energy and how American businesses are crippled by the EPA.

over the last eight years the government has opened up vast tracts of Federal land and water for energy exploration.

domestic oil production has increased almost 80% in the last eight years, and the US is now the number 1 producer of fossil fuels on this planet.

there is no war on energy. at all.

Meanwhile China is free to destroy the environment, pollute,

this is an inaccurate statement. China has re-affirmed its commitment to the Paris Accords, with or without the United States.

and at the same time cheaply export products to the USA.

then raise tarrifs on goods imported to the US. just tax the hell out of companies who import goods from China. either way, this doesn't pertain to habitat destruction, its a trade issue.

- IGIT

Can you not read? "You were correct, I stand corrected."
And you were a bitchy wise-ass. "LGBT", damn that's a good one!

Final Rehab (in case you were wondering).

Just fucking around man.

You forgot to say "Hi Final Rehab" and bookend it with

- Blackened

Lmao gotten too.
I have no idea why that dude signs his name at the end of every post. I've noticed it on here for years. It's like he thinks we can't look above his avatar or some shit

And you were a bitchy wise-ass. "LGBT", damn that's a good one!

Final Rehab (in case you were wondering).
Just find the name signing annoying.

I don't know how that makes me a "whiny-bitchass", as you so eloquently put it.

hi Blackened, and good afternoon,

Hi LGBT,

You were correct, I stand corrected.

no problem.

I know chemical landfills are the primary disposal form of chemical waste.

the primary disposal protocol for hazardous waste by the EPA is to first recover much of the waste through chemicals processes to render the material inert.

secondary steps involve the safe transportation and storage of the remains.

pretty much the opposite of what was done in Kentucky in that image you posted.

Why is it so important to sign you name when your name is posted to the left of your text and in the quoted message?

-Blackened (in case you were wondering)

its just a courtesy, Blackened. its not an effort at snark, and i hope you didn't take offense.

- IGIT

One of the best things we can do is change our electricity production. We need to move away from coal and start using generation IV nuclear reactors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_fast_reactor

Watch Pandora's Promise for a nice rage inducing time.

heya there Rozko, nice to meet you!

my big hope is that China's efforts in next gen thorium nuclear plants leads the world to cleaner (and abundant) energy production.

it'll probably happen in our lifetime. if it does, it will be a game changer.

- IGIT

heya there Rozko, nice to meet you!

my big hope is that China's efforts in next gen thorium nuclear plants leads the world to cleaner (and abundant) energy production.

it'll probably happen in our lifetime. if it does, it will be a game changer.

- IGIT

It solves a lot of problems for emerging economies. Mainly providing a cheap and steady supply of electricity without the toxicity of coal mines and burning. We need more of them.

Germany is trying to shut off their reactors in favor of solar and wind. They are fucking themselves.

It solves a lot of problems for emerging economies. Mainly providing a cheap and steady supply of electricity without the toxicity of coal mines and burning. We need more of them.

Germany is trying to shut off their reactors in favor of solar and wind. They are fucking themselves.

heya Rozko,

China definitely needs to accelerate the development of thorium plants. like i said, it will change the world.

nuclear tech, as it stands, is huge problematic in the United States. there really is no safe way to store waste that's created...but thorium?

its the holy grail. cheap (relatively speaking)....abundant (north america is rich in thorium deposits) and safe.

- IGIT

heya Rozko,

we definitely need to accelerate the development of thorium plants. like i said, it will change the world.

nuclear tech, as it stands, is huge problematic in the United States. there really is no safe way to store waste that's created...but thorium?

its the holy grail. cheap....abundant....safe.

- IGIT
The IFRs are functional and proven to work safely. They also produce 1/20th of the waste that the older plants produce and can use spent fuel from generation III plants and nuclear warheads to produce energy. We can store the waste safely and only have to worry about it for 200-300 years before it turns to a baseline for radiation found naturally.

The IFRs are functional and proven to work safely. They also produce 1/20th of the waste that the older plants produce and can use spent fuel from generation III plants and nuclear warheads to produce energy. We can store the waste safely and only have to worry about it for 200-300 years before it turns to a baseline for radiation found naturally.

hiya again Rozko,

both IFR and thorium plants seem like the way forward to me. IFR's are already a reality in the here and now, of course.

the problem in the US is that the money for such endeavors doesn't exist. funding in the US (for IFRs) was killed in the 90's.

- IGIT

Back