Woodley says he didn't have financial incentive to heavily promote UFC 201

Smart, if you not getting PPV points why waste your time promoting?

Now he is champ he seems to be looking to make a big fight and sell PPV's.
This. He says some dumb stuff but not in this case.
He wasn't the champ, he didn't get PPV points, he has to prepare for the most important fight of his career, he's a fighter not a promoter.
I'd like to hear what some people in this thread think why fighter need the UFC in first place if it's their job to promote every single fight they have, outside of regular press conferences.
Also he did some interviews, it's not like he was hiding under a rock.

You have to prove your worth TO GET the better money, not prove your worth after the fact, that is simply how employment and business work. Idiot.

So you think not promoting himself too much when he was the main event was a good decision.

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me.

He fulfilled his contractual obligations. Makes perfect sense.

You're not going to work overtime if you're only paid for 8 hours are you?

That doesn't make any sense, he doesn't feel a need to hype himself or his fight up?

That is how guys make big money fight after fight

I'm guessing that he got paid a flat show/win rate, and that it didn't change depending on PPV buys or ticket sales. I'm also guessing that champs get some kind of cut if they are the headline. So, if that's true, it makes a lot of sense.

Smart, if you not getting PPV points why waste your time promoting?

Now he is champ he seems to be looking to make a big fight and sell PPV's.
now he is champ and he seems to be looking to make a big fight with someone that will sell ppv's for him

So this is a guy who realizes he has little time in this sport, so his solution is to sit out for 18 months by refusing to fight anyone, and then when he does have a big fight, for the championship title to be exact, he can't be bothered to promote the fight or himself?

Well, I'll be, sounds like he has a hell of a plan.

This is a guy who quite obviously just wants to ride the coattails of popular fighters like GSP and Diaz but isn't willing to do anything for himself.

Fuck Tyron. Hope he gets the Wonderboy fight and Wonderboy knocks him the fuck out. Shittier champion than Hendricks, and his personality is quickly becoming more dislikeable than Johny as well, which is no small feat.

I would if I was a prizefighter, because the more people who know you, the better.

kRpmbdl_700wa_0.gif

Many salaried employees that have greater success work beyond their obligation. There should be limitations in how much additional time you should put forth, but you are ultimately responsible for you own success. Tyron might not see immediate return on his efforts, but expanding his fan base prior to ever winning the title could have a profound impact on his earnings with points. He had a great platform to do so with his exposure. Relying solely on the UFC to promote you as a fighter will most likely limit your earning potential to a degree.

I would if I was a prizefighter, because the more people who know you, the better.

You say that from the outside looking in. It's not always as simple as the outsider makes it out to be.

All his bitching won't last long and so will his title reign, Wonderboy is coming for him!!!

Many salaried employees that have greater success work beyond their obligation. There should be limitations in how much additional time you should put forth, but you are ultimately responsible for you own success. Tyron might not see immediate return on his efforts, but expanding his fan base prior to ever winning the title could have a profound impact on his earnings with points. He had a great platform to do so with his exposure. Relying solely on the UFC to promote you as a fighter will most likely limit your earning potential to a degree.

I think there's a model he's following that none of us will ever understand because we're not fighters. So to speculate what is right or wrong with a decision an informed individual makes is a fruitless endeavor.

Woodley acts like he has the game all figured out but still has yet to make himself into a draw. Although I guess all of this bitching will turn him into one since that's how it seems to work these days.

Woodley acts like he has the game all figured out but still has yet to make himself into a draw. Although I guess all of this bitching will turn him into one since that's how it seems to work these days.

There have never been more Tyron Woodley threads on Sherdog.

So.....

There have never been more Tyron Woodley threads on Sherdog.

So.....

Exactly. Although I don't think it's some calculated effort like some people believe. He just isn't very self aware (most fighters aren't).

Woodley is the man. All those salty virgins hating on him lmao.

Does he not understand the concept of building a fan base for himself? If more people had seen him KO Robbie wouldn't he have an easier time selling his next fight?

This guy is clueless on how the business works.
Exactly. Becoming a star/draw requires more than just winning the fight. Hype is how people learn who you are and become interested in watching you. Neither Diaz brother has ever been champ but their both big draws because they create hype. Conor was getting paid before he won his belt because of personality.

Tyron needs to figure out there is always incentive to promote in an entertainment business

Meanwhile the ufc is worth 4 billion and they want woodley to go above and beyond on hopes. Is that really what it'll take for woodley to get paid? The guy just smashed the champion and now people want him to promote? Then people bring up conor and Ronda like the ufc wasn't pushing them. How does a fighter promote himself outside of being a fake ass loudmouth?

Back