Woodley says he didn't have financial incentive to heavily promote UFC 201

youngsteinel

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
20140313124907_5D3_4104.JPG

I felt like, in general, the fight could've been promoted a little bit better," Woodley said Monday on The MMA Hour. "We kind of got smashed in between UFC 200 and UFC 202. There wasn't a ton of publicity and a ton of marketing done for the actual fight, and with that said, I wasn't the champion at the time, so I didn't really feel compelled and I didn't have the financial incentive to really push the fight and go above and beyond.

Source:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/7...didnt-have-the-financial-incentive-to-heavily

That doesn't make any sense, he doesn't feel a need to hype himself or his fight up?

That is how guys make big money fight after fight

Smart, if you not getting PPV points why waste your time promoting?

Now he is champ he seems to be looking to make a big fight and sell PPV's.

I didn't really feel compelled and I didn't have the financial incentive to really push the fight and go above and beyond.

And that attitude is the reason why you don't have the financial incentive in the first place, and also the reason why you never will.

He won't be champ for long like that.

He sounds like a part-time champion.

He looks really stoned in that picture

Woodley becomes a fucking world champion and still manages to sound whiny as fuck. Jesus.

And that attitude is the reason why you don't have the financial incentive in the first place, and also the reason why you never will..

Obviously he has a better idea as to how this shit works than any of us. I'll side with the guy that actually fights on this one.

Does he not understand the concept of building a fan base for himself? If more people had seen him KO Robbie wouldn't he have an easier time selling his next fight?

This guy is clueless on how the business works.

He is partially right.

Contenders get paid peanuts....They should get some form of PPV percentage. It will motivate Contenders to actually get rewarded for hyping up a fight.

Having said that, he should still hype up a fight...Conor did it and eventually he got a big fanbase and when he renegotiated his contract, he pointed out the fact of how big he had gotten thus he got paid better.

He is not some big draw. He never will be. His GSP fight is the best thing that could have happened to him.

Talks like he wants big money but hes not a big money fighter. Nobody gives a shit.

because how you end with ppv point even if you don't have a belt. Chael, Bisping, Ronda, Conor are all example of people getting paid very well in the UFC they're also all promoted their fights well before they made the big $$

That is an incredibly myopic POV for him to have.

Well he is right on this event being sandwiched and not getting a ton of marketing from the UFC. So that was unfortunate for he and Robbie

He's sorta right and sorta wrong on the "no financial incentive" to promote the fight. On one hand he would have been working to just put money in Robbie's pockets which is a tough and weird situation to be in. At the same time, the long term benefits of promoting himself should be his main concern

All this said, if he gets the GSP fight then all this sherdog protesting will seem laughable

Damn not even champ for a month and already slinging dick.

That doesn't make any sense, he doesn't feel a need to hype himself or his fight up?

That is how guys make big money fight after fight
Yeah that's incredibly short sighted. Look at how Conor built himself, he was hyping his fights when he wasn't getting paid nearly what TWood got and he ended up being the highest paid fighter in the sport. I think TWood will hype the GSP match if that's what he gets but that won't matter GSP is the biggest draw in the UFC outside of Conor and maybe bigger than Conor now that Conor lost.

I dislike this man more and more every time he opens his mouth.

Obviously he has a better idea as to how this shit works than any of us. I'll side with the guy that actually fights on this one.

I'm sure. We should also apply this same logic to criticizing politicians.

Saying stuff like this is not going to increase his fanbase significantly. I get where he's coming from, but he has a responsibility to promote himself as well. He needs to get out there and make himself likable in one way or another to the masses, either as a fan favorite or heel.

I think he's a very good fighter, but he's lacking some in the form of charisma and he really does not seem like he's trying to improve his exposure. Instead, he's complaining about how it's not being provided for him enough. I know he's an analyst and has been in movies, but it's as though he thinks that is all that's required and he should just organically become McGregor level for it. But that's just not how it works.

Personally I don't think a fighter needs to have to work hard outside the cage to increase my interest. Because I'm more interested how they perform in a fight than anything. But that doesn't seem to be enough in the UFC currently. Tyron's inactivity also probably waned some fan interest in his title fight as well.

He is not some big draw. He never will be. His GSP fight is the best thing that could have happened to him.

Talks like he wants big money but hes not a big money fighter. Nobody gives a shit.
You're right but they could. The guy is really good on the mic so if he used his talent their, he could be a much bigger draw. Striking skills, KO power, tons of athliticism and a fantastic wrestling pedigree. He's an exciting fighter with mic skills, if he chooses to use his skills at the mic then he could become a huge draw but he chooses not to hype his fights... bad idea.

This belt has already gone to Woodley's head, lol.

Back